Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 8, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Ambify for iOS Sets Philips Hue Lights to Music

An iOS developer has made an app to sync the Philips Hue iOS-controlled LED light bulbs with music.

The $2.99 Ambify pulls tracks from the music library on an iPhone or iPad and plays them while simultaneously controlling the colors and brightness of the Philips Hue lights, creating a rave-like atmosphere with blinking multi-colored light bulbs synced to the music.
Quote:
Ambify - the Hue enabled jukebox turns music into light using Philips Hue Smart Bulbs.

Being the first of it's kind, Ambify combines the simplicity of a jukebox with the endless new possibilities offered by Philips' Hue System.

It's a s simple as starting the app, selecting your lamps and choosing a playlist.
Ambify then applies our nifty algorithms to analyse and visualise your music in real-time using the lamps you've previously selected.
Ambify for iPhone and iPad is available for $2.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Ambify for iOS Sets Philips Hue Lights to Music
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 01:22 PM   #2
kycophpd
macrumors 6502

Hopefully the first of many apps for Hue. I enjoy my lights, they are great for turning on a single bulb at low light to get dressed at night while my wife is sleeping for one of my jobs, but this helps somewhat justify the cost.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 01:26 PM   #3
designaholic
macrumors regular

I like Phillips. Recently bought one of their 46" TV's with Ambilight. Looks amazing.

Seems like a neat app.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 01:32 PM   #4
vjl323
macrumors regular

The future is here

This future is indeed here. This reminds me a bit of Journey into Imagination at EPCOT back in 1982 where one jumped over spots on the floor that were light with different colors and made music by hopping from one place to another. But this is the opposite - the music controls the lights. Truly amazing when you think about it.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 01:35 PM   #5
LePigeonBleu
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to LePigeonBleu
When will Spotify have an app for making Hue dance?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 01:40 PM   #6
bommai
macrumors 6502

I heard Philips has exited the consumer market. So no more TVs and no more hue.
bommai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 02:02 PM   #7
extricated
macrumors regular

Those bulbs are way out of my price range for what they are.
However, this is still very cool.
extricated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 02:10 PM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G5

Neat!

So can apps now directly read song waveforms in realtime? I'd have thought there would be more music visualizer apps if so--I've never found one that didn't use a mic-based hack. (I'd love something iTunes-like I could send to a projector.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
I was wondering that exact thing--but fear not: Philips is getting out of SOME consumer areas, like A/V, but not out of their LED lamps:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/29/39...onics-business
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:11 PM   #9
tiwizard
macrumors regular

I actually build a system like this myself...

http://www.andrewmunsell.com/blog/raspberry-pi-leds/

I don't mention it syncs to music in that post because I hadn't completed it at that point, but it's finished now and works great. My Mac sends the music beat and frequency data to the Raspberry Pi in real time and the lights are controlled in time with the music. The user can change the effect and colors at any time using the web console and pressing buttons on your keyboard.

Obviously, that system's only going to work if you have electronics and programming knowledge-- you have to wire up the LEDs and Raspberry Pi by yourself, and then install the software to control the LEDs. It's a DIY project, but it has pretty cool results.
tiwizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:23 PM   #10
xxgilxx
macrumors regular

Does the system comes with pot? Just curious...
xxgilxx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:28 PM   #11
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Lighting is one of the areas they are still going to focus on - no more TVs - but lighting is now a huge focus for the company
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:37 PM   #12
charlituna
macrumors G3

There are other apps that do this much cheaper. But what I would really like to see is this built into the official app. As well as the ability for it to adjust the built in themes when you add additional lights and to create a recipe without having to find a photo to put in colors. as well as being able to set alarms that can repeat on a schedule (very handy for those alarms to wake up in the morning).
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 05:23 PM   #13
alfonsog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxgilxx View Post
Does the system comes with pot? Just curious...
I think you'd rather be doing some shrooms or molly with this... or even better as Jobs used to ask when he interviewed... Have you ever done LSD?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 09:16 PM   #14
crobi
macrumors member

This is not the first app for the Philips hue on the App Store .

Hue disco: the fun feature with this one is the strobe

Hue Go: red alert etc

Magic hue the disco effect

Hue rapide : this one I didn't try
crobi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:19 PM   #15
Getitdone
macrumors member

I have been wanting to purchase the Hue light system and this pretty much seals the deal for me. Back in the early 70's as a kid I had a stereo system (turntable and 2 speakers) where the top half of the speakers had light panels of some sort that changed colors and went to the beat of the music. Seems like I will be able to use the Hue/Ambify set up to do almost the same thing. Fun!
Getitdone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:59 AM   #16
lotzosushi
macrumors 6502

Holy crap. I just downloaded this and I'm never going to leave my room again.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:24 PM   #17
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
This looks pretty cool. Likely, however, it will be used a few times and then forgotten.

Except on rare occasions, who the heck wants their room lights to flash colors?
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:54 PM   #18
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

I thought their app icon was the Google Play logo at first and I was super-confused
somethingelsefl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:59 PM   #19
carlgo
macrumors 68000

Ha! Next Christmas I will rule the block with outdoor speakers, huge ones, and giant woofers and a thousand pulsating Phillips lights. Nobody will even notice the neighbors with their unimaginative strings of lights and inflatable santas. I will need some suggestions for edgy and loud Xmas music...It is all about religion of course.
carlgo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:55 AM   #20
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpenguy View Post
Lighting is one of the areas they are still going to focus on - no more TVs - but lighting is now a huge focus for the company
These would be useful at a party, I suppose. But I don't see myself using it in every-day-life. the flashing on and off looks kinda annoying.
szw-mapple fan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:08 AM   #21
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

My whole apartment uses the bulbs - those kind of music sync apps are cool for when you want that, but most of the time I use Hue for automating when lights go on and off - adjusting the lights while I'm watching a movie or still in bed - there are even Mac menu bar apps so I can adjust the lights from my Mac.

It is an incredibly useful thing - and yes I'm also a happy Nest customer - the more apartment automation the better.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:34 PM   #22
Strawberry3991
macrumors newbie

Im really wanting to purchase this light bulbs, but does anyone know where to buy that pot that holds the bulb.
Strawberry3991 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:37 AM   #23
aquaboy
macrumors regular

Can you AirPlay from your iPhone to AirPlay hifi from this app and do the lights/timing lag doing this?
aquaboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion