Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:16 PM   #76
XtraSmiley
macrumors member

God my 2nd gen MacBook use to do that as well, I hated it. Fans spinning up for no reason can drive a person nuts!
XtraSmiley is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:19 PM   #77
Krauser
macrumors regular

Really makes me question what Apple has been doing with their notebooks lately. I'm typing this on a first generation Revision A MacBook Unibody from 2008 and the fans are sitting at 1760RPM with 7 applications running, one of which is rendering some audio right now. All of a sudden, a flagship MacBook from 2013 spools up the fans for no reason when playing lossless files in iTunes? That's kind of ridiculous. My machine is not without its faults (the screen has some pretty atrocious viewing angles and whatnot) but at least those faults were known before purchasing the machine and weren't things we as users are essentially beta testing for Apple.

I know I probably sound like the biggest hater out there right now, but Apple really needs to step it up. My experience when I had my retina 15" for a few weeks has seriously made me question their quality control (my retina had a squeaky case, a buzzing keyboard backlight, sleep issues, heating up when closed, and connectivity issues) and I returned it in spite of its speed and beauty. They can't rest on their laurels and it's really showing. As bad as it sounds, returning it and going back to my 2008 MacBook was almost freeing... I couldn't enjoy the retina purely because every time I picked it up, I felt like I'd find yet another ludicrous issue with it. At least my old workhorse was flawless, reliable and, though slow, something that wouldn't just decide not to wake from sleep or ramp up the fans for no reason... and it's a revision A product too.

TL;DR - I'll be seriously holding off my decisions on a Haswell MacBook until all the issues have been revealed. It's getting frustrating that Apple hasn't figured stuff like this out.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:32 PM   #78
jonmitz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
My 15" rMBP freezes several times a day with the same issue. Seems to be a graphics issue. I've tried reinstalling from scratch but nothing has worked. I contacted Apple after a couple months, but they wouldn't replace it. Then I wasted more time with an "high level" Apple customer support person. They had a tech look at my logs, and he pretty much agreed there was a graphics issue.

The customer service rep pretty much wasted my time and said they'd only repair the machine, same as the Apple store genius told me. This was probably 4 months ago, and it's frustrating, but I don't want to be without my computer for a few days, so I haven't taken it in yet. On top of that, my display has the "image retention" problem like a plasma display used to have.

It's pretty frustrating to spend all this money and get a bad machine and no help from Apple. I've probably had 20 Apple computers in my life, this has been the worst experience by far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraSmiley View Post
God my 2nd gen MacBook use to do that as well, I hated it. Fans spinning up for no reason can drive a person nuts!
Are you even reading the OP? This is a specific issue regarding fan turn on due to SSD access when cool with the new brand/model of SSDs and neither of you have this specific issue.
jonmitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:43 PM   #79
portishead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmitz View Post
Are you even reading the OP? This is a specific issue regarding fan turn on due to SSD access when cool with the new brand/model of SSDs and neither of you have this specific issue.
It was a front page story and I felt my rant was relevant to the rMBP having issues. You could have just skipped my post, no reason to complain.
portishead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:43 PM   #80
TechZeke
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
And much as my inner fanboy hates to say it, but Samsung parts are always the best parts in Apple products.

Just look at the display even, and the SSD now.
No, the fanboyism against Samsung is specifically against Samsung Mobile.

Apple isn't competing against Samsung's refrigerators. It's just a complicated mess because Samsung has different subsidiaries while Apple is just....Apple. Samsung makes greats products, you just can't can't let phone-specific fanboyism get in the way.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:52 PM   #81
pjjames1
macrumors newbie

Do the SMC reset!!!

I got my 2013 rMBP a couple weeks ago and when I was transferring over all of the data, the fans were blaring. I have a Sandisk 512 SSD and a Samsung display. The morning after all of the data was migrated, I did an SMC reset and I haven't had the issue since. I still get some fan noise when the vents are covered to some degree...which I think is normal. But no blaring issues like before. I'm sure there will be a software fix for this but this should be a temporary solution.
pjjames1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:56 PM   #82
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
I thought this rev b rmbp should have no issues, not a good QC from apple.
Such is the mirage of "rev B", and the absurdity that rev A is necessarily issue-wrought because it's all-new. Every update is essentially all new from the previous... different parts from new vendors, new s/w, updated firmware in parts, etc. It's just as likely for a rev B, C, D to be buggy as a rev A.

Also, the nature of the fast moving electronics market these days is that we are all beta testers. Manufacturers simply don't have enough time to squash every bug. The annoying thing is that once these issues are known companies, like Apple, are slow to respond.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:05 PM   #83
batitombo
macrumors member

Just Keep reporting and wait for a fix.

Life continues .
batitombo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:21 PM   #84
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechZeke View Post
No, the fanboyism against Samsung is specifically against Samsung Mobile.

Apple isn't competing against Samsung's refrigerators. It's just a complicated mess because Samsung has different subsidiaries while Apple is just....Apple. Samsung makes greats products, you just can't can't let phone-specific fanboyism get in the way.
But from a business perspective, Apple did let itself become too dependent upon Samsung as a supplier. Cash is fungible, but profits from sales to Apple may well have gone into the development of the Galaxy SIII. Also, certainly it helped build up the vertical supply chain advantage that Samsung enjoys.

They make good products, but they aren't the only ones out there. Sandisk is a reputable manufacturer, and hopefully this firmware issue will get resolved. It isn't as if there have never been issues with Samsung products. AnandTech reported about its issues with the Samsung 840 SSD line last year.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6503/s...0-pro-failures
KPOM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:40 PM   #85
cjmillsnun
macrumors 65816

Yup my rMBP does this. It's annoying.

For clarification my SSD model number is SD512E
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:42 PM   #86
Oyinko
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPusch View Post
What a beautiful French accent^^
Thanks

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzalog View Post
The guy needs to get his priorities straight. His first problem is he needs to reevaluate how much Coldplay is in his music library, the cooling fan is a distant problem in comparison.
Don't worry, I'm using Spotify. iTunes was only for the purpose of the test.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulji View Post
I wonder if the upcoming release of OSX 10.8.3 will help resolve this problem?
No. I run the last build of OSX 10.8.3 and I still get the problem. We need a SMC update.
Oyinko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:43 PM   #87
Handsome Bacon
macrumors member

Let's see, he listens to Coldplay and garbage complextro electro house music from GoPro commercials - his computer is just angry and runs the fans in protest.
iPhone 5, 64GB white
Handsome Bacon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:43 PM   #88
Oyinko
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryhbk View Post
This happened to my daughter's 15" rMBP and a SMC reset took care of the behavior. In general when fans go nuts without provocation (Civ V I am looking at you!) that's a quick and easy thing to try.

For those who don't know how to do that here is the excerpt from the Apple Support directions on SMC reset:

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Of course, this is the first thing I did when I found out the problem. But it didn't help.
Oyinko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 05:22 PM   #89
Codyak
macrumors 6502

I have the June rMBP and I had that weird issue where graphics performance and fan speed would be all whacky until you did an SMC reset (which would only last about a week). I took it in and in two days had a new motherboard and never saw the issue again. I certainly hope those affected by this are treated as nicely by Apple support!

I wanted to add that this is absolutely the best laptop I've ever owned.

Last edited by Codyak; Mar 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM.
Codyak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 05:24 PM   #90
brownbird
macrumors member

Clearly, the problem here is that this guy listens to Coldplay.
brownbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 05:30 PM   #91
Fatalbert
Banned

And yet there was mass panic about an extremely rare case of uncased iPhone 4s dropping calls in areas with bad service if you press your fingers on a certain spot.

Apple would be way more careful about their Macs if the public actually cared. The iMac G5, for instance, was definitely nowhere near Apple quality.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbird View Post
Clearly, the problem here is that this guy listens to Coldplay.
+1
Coldplay is one of the worst entities to be called a "band". Yeah, Justin Bieber is better, and that's saying something.
Fatalbert is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 05:34 PM   #92
Edjuh
macrumors newbie

Waiting with buying?

Just wondering: does this mean it's better to wait with buying a new retina Macbook Pro?
Edjuh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 05:42 PM   #93
jonmitz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjuh View Post
Just wondering: does this mean it's better to wait with buying a new retina Macbook Pro?
If it worries you I'd wait a week for the software patch. There is* no issue with the hardware, my SSD (and others who report the same) does not run hot or even warm/medium, it stays very cool.

e: *appears to be
jonmitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 05:44 PM   #94
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

it seems like early adopters were actually better off in this case.
thadoggfather is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 05:53 PM   #95
TC400
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to TC400
no problems here i got mine in december
TC400 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:02 PM   #96
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
How the hell did anyone try to connect an SSD to a fan issue....??
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:03 PM   #97
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekie99 View Post
What program is he using to check fan speed and all the other temps?
iStat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
And yet there was mass panic about an
Coldplay is one of the worst entities to be called a "band". Yeah, Justin Bieber is better, and that's saying something.
Saying Bieber is better than anyone is definitely saying something.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:08 PM   #98
koban4max
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
And much as my inner fanboy hates to say it, but Samsung parts are always the best parts in Apple products.

Just look at the display even, and the SSD now.
can't deny it and won't deny it.
koban4max is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:10 PM   #99
bkends35
macrumors 6502

I actually did have this problem with my first rMBP, I took it back because of the overactive fans and upgraded to the high end model while I was at it.

The fans in my second rMBP can never be heard, only when gaming or rendering a huge project.
bkends35 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:27 PM   #100
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
can't deny it and won't deny it.
Samsung's stand-alone SSDs also kick ass.

Samsung for performance, Intel for reliability. Don't settle for less.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion