Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

retina_macbook_pro_15_fan-250x250.jpg
Earlier this week, Geek.com highlighted a growing a number of complaints from owners of Apple's 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro regarding overactive fans. The issue has been noted in our forums and is the subject of a lengthy thread in Apple's discussion forums. From one report:
My first instance of runaway fans was under the lightest of conditions, having only one browser open only a few tabs and a cool computer. The fact it was cold is what is so alarming. Out of nowhere the fans spun up to a roar, stayed there for a few minutes, then decelerated back down to idle. Every so often this happens, usually daily, and it's horribly annoying on a high quality well engineered computer.
From the list of reports flowing in, users suspect that Apple's recent shift to using SanDisk solid-state drives in the Retina MacBook Pro may have something to do with the issue, although it is likely a software issue rather than a hardware one.

Apple support staff have offered mixed responses to the issue, with some customers receiving replacement machines while others have been assured that the behavior is normal. If the issue is indeed a software one as is suspected, Apple should be able to fix it relatively easily with an update pushed out to owners of the affected machines, but it is unclear whether Apple is working on a fix at this time.

(Photo from iFixit)

Article Link: 15-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Users Experiencing Fan Issues Related to SanDisk SSDs?

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Hmm. Mine is fine... Although I have a Samsung SSD. Sandisk's are much slower. Oh, and I'm running Lion.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I haven't had any issues with this, however I have had issues with my rMBP staying on when the lid gets closed. I come back to the machine a few hours later and the bottom is warm.

It might have something to do with Power Nap, I turned it off and haven't had many issues with it now.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
got my retina last week. it has a sandisk in it and the fans randomly kick up at random times.

hope there is a software fix

but atleast i got the samsung display LOLOLOL :D

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I had the issue, and am part of several threads on it. I simply took 3 different computers back...not for 2800$ am I going to beta something.

And the Sandisks were no slower than the Samsungs in the 13rmbp, which ironically is what I've decided to keep.
My fans would randomly go all the way to high, even though system was idle. They would also ramp up and down on a usb 3.0 file transfer over 2GB. No thanks.

MacAddict2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
I think it's just a characteristic of the rMBP. I have friends that have them and if you so much as use iPhoto for a few minutes, the fans will be at full blast. Makes you wonder if they designed the fans to be quieter for a reason.

Ynot

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
Run away Fan.

A run away fan usually means that the Regulating Code has crashed. Its part of the Failsafe built into the System A unregulated Fan runs 100% the regulation is what slows it down. That way if something goes wrong no additional damage can happen through the over heating of Vital Components. So it would be interesting to check the related Crash-logs.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
The guy needs to get his priorities straight. His first problem is he needs to reevaluate how much Coldplay is in his music library, the cooling fan is a distant problem in comparison. :(

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
And much as my inner fanboy hates to say it, but Samsung parts are always the best parts in Apple products.

Just look at the display even, and the SSD now.

Sandisk makes good SSDs based on AnandTech's testing. And it was a Samsung SSD that recently had a software glitch that resulted in data loss in Anand's testing. All SSDs have the potential for firmware issues. As for the LG vs Samsung screen, the Samsungs are less prone to image retention, but the LGs have better color gamut.

thekris1234

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I'm just going to check what SSD is in mine. I've had problems with overactive fans. It's one of the things that has stopped me from using my macbook in lectures.

Yeti89

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
I am so frustrated with all these problems with my rMBP. It has been months since an update and it makes me feel as though apple doesn't think there is really a problem. I paid a lot of money for what could be considered their best and flag shop mac. I am a product design professional and that is who the rMBPs are catered to. My whole job is done on our computers. The graphic glitches are a big deal when designing. Also, the not waking from sleep and loosing data. The fan issue bugs because it uses my battery like crazy when I am only browsing the internet. The inconsistent wifi connection prevents fluid and quick research and referencing (which I do all day long).

I have done everything to fix the problem myself from clean reinstall and no restore from time machine, 6 lengthy visits to the apple store, and patience for updates.

The most frustrating part is Apple almost haven't even acknowledged these issues over the past few months. The apple store geniuses have been very nice but haven't provided any real solution.

I am over reacting or is this as big a deal as I feel it is?

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
My 2010 Macbook Pro does this for no apparent reason, randomly a few times a month. I'll go to look at a website like BBC or CNN, with no other applications open, and with the MBP previously inactive for hours, and within a minute the fans will start blowing loudly, usually for about three or four minutes. Then back to normal until the next time which may be a couple of days later or a week later. But it doesn't seem to happen when I'm actually doing something more demanding (say, audio editing or light photoshop) on the computer.
This has been happening for four or five months. I wonder if it arrived via a software update? Is it possibly the same cause as the rMBP issue? There were no such occurrences with my machine previously. I do not use a SSD.

Last edited:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I thought this rev b rmbp should have no issues, not a good QC from apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.