Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreenWhite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2013
Hi everyone!

I am completely new to the Mac world. I have been a loyal Windows user for over 20 years. But I wanted to try out the Mac side of things. I have been a user of iOS for some time, though.

I have been a regular reader of the MacRumors Forums for some time, and I really think you guys are so knowledgeable, and I have huge respect.

Introductions aside. I have a question, and I hope that this is the right forum to put it.

I use Google Chrome when I browse the web, and I usually have 2 windows open with perhaps 1-3 tabs in each window. One day I was reading a thread here on MacRumors, and I had Facebook open in another tab in another window. Suddenly the window with Facebook page came up. And I am not sure why. The MacRumors page I was currently browsing was a full screen window, and then suddenly Facebook was there in a non-full screen window.

Is this normal? Is it a sort of notification?

I have done my best to replicate this, but it seems to be rather sporadic. It also happened once with Twitter, but it doesn´t happen with every notification in another tab in another window.

This might sound paranoid, but does this mean that I am hacked?

Sorry for stupid questions, but as I said, I am completely new to the Mac world.

Oh, and all programmes are updated.

I will truly appreciate any insight into this.

Cheers!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
What you're seeing is called "focus stealing." It happens in Windows as well.

For webpages it's basically a form of notification saying "look here." It's often used by popup ads, but some websites use it as well. I don't use Chrome, but in Safari there is a setting for this that can disable this behavior (I believe it's disabled by default).

It's not really anything to be concerned about, though it can get annoying.

GreenWhite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2013
What you're seeing is called "focus stealing." It happens in Windows as well.

For webpages it's basically a form of notification saying "look here." It's often used by popup ads, but some websites use it as well. I don't use Chrome, but in Safari there is a setting for this that can disable this behavior (I believe it's disabled by default).

It's not really anything to be concerned about, though it can get annoying.

Interesting. Honestly I have never ever experienced that when having Windows on a pc, and using Chrome. Not saying that it cannot happen, just that I have never experienced it until now on a Mac.

If what you tell me is how it is, I am very glad that I need not to worry.

Cheers! :)

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Interesting. Honestly I have never ever experienced that when having Windows on a pc, and using Chrome. Not saying that it cannot happen, just that I have never experienced it until now on a Mac.

If what you tell me is how it is, I am very glad that I need not to worry.

Cheers! :)

It's normal. If you want to disable it you should try disabling pop-ups or trying Mozilla Firefox.

I assure you that is not a sign of your Mac being hacked :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.