Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 8, 2013, 02:29 PM   #1
tbjohn
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Does anybody have Exogear Exomount car mount?

I stumbled upon this product called Exomount, and find it a pretty interesting car mount. It sticks to both the windshield and the dashboard. I am not sure how it sticks to the dashboard. It sounds like Exogear gives more choices of where to put the mount. Their website states that if the suction cup becomes dirty, it can be washed with water and used again.
Also, another thing that got me interested is that it has a clip to hold your phone, which is different from many other models. I want to try it out, but before I do that, I need some opinions about it.

If anybody has actually bought and used the car mount, please share any opinions or experiences you've had with it. That would be helpful.

This is the product:
http://www.exogear.com/products-exom...nt-holder.html

Thanks.
tbjohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:25 PM   #2
bshef
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I am currently using one in my car. It adheres well to the windshield as well as the dash. Although, if you plan on using it on your dash, make sure the spot you choose is relatively flat. (common sense stuff, but I figured I would add).

Another thing that brought me to purchase the exomount was the ease of application and the minimal amount of space it takes up. It isn't hooked to anything which gives me piece of mind when I go to take it off. No problems with residue or whatever you wish to call it.

I would recommend it to anyone searching for a car mount.


Edited to address the 'hold' on the phone.

The hold is tight and there is minimal shaking. The only shaking is attributed to the road you're on.
bshef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 07:34 PM   #3
MR Bulk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Have a white one. Liked it for the styling, very clean and modern.

Requires two hands to clip the phone.

"Suction" cup is extremely interesting concept, basically a highly sticky gummy material (think of those rubbery octopus toys you threw at walls that would stick and slowly roll their way down - or not move at all if you threw it at a mirror or some other really smooth surface) formed into a cup shape. The gumminess fills the crevices in pebble-grained dashboards thus forming the leakproof suction.

We have a couple of rather stiff-riding German cars so there is some shaking over bumps, but I found if you let the bottom of the phone slide down to make contact with the dash before you let go of the clip to tighten around the phone, it takes almost all of this away.

When the suction cup is removed (or make that "pried off" as it can be a bit of a struggle getting it off) from the dash there is a slight "ring" mark. Have not tried to remove it because I think Armor-All or other surface treatments might degrade the suction cup's action - or not, but I left it alone anyway since it goes right back on that spot when I use the iPhone's GPS feature again.

Also have the iOttie which I actually like better for its phone-holding action (you do it one-handed) but the suction cup (made the same way of the same material) is a little more difficult to make "stick" onto the dash since you must rotate a ring to get the suction action vs. the easier to use lever of the Exo. Also the cup is smaller in diameter so it needs a more flat surface to get a grip, the Exo can achieve a hold on more curved parts of the dash.

As I recall they were both about the same price (was either $12 or $19 for each of them, somewhere in that range anyway, do not recall) so the choice is between one-handed phone-holding operation for the iOttie (although the suction cup is harder to attach) or the two-handed clip holder of the Exomount (although the suction cup is bigger and better and easier to use).

Toss up.
MR Bulk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 07:47 PM   #4
MR Bulk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Oh yeah, one more thing - I have the Exomount 2 (Two), supposed to be better than the original version. And also as I understand they are now not the current maker, there is now OsoMount.com although this could be the reverse being OsoMount is the original maker and then Exo bought them out or vice versa, not sure. I would check YouTube video posting dates, that might give you an idea. And ebay as well as Amazon has them for less than the factory homepage prices.

Good luck.
MR Bulk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 07:48 PM   #5
lkingsvs
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I have had this mount for approximately two weeks.
Here are my thoughts:

Suction - works great - as others have said - no residue left behind. I have attached mine to the drivers side window, front windshield, under the dash by my speedometer, in the middle of the dashboard, on my armrest so my kids could watch a video, even in the house onto a wooden bed frame. I have had zero issues with getting it to stick to any of these areas with little to minimal effort.

Hold - holds my iPhone with or without a case. It does require 2 hands so I do recommend you are stopped in your car when trying to place your device into the clip. The beauty of the design is that it will work with any device within certain dimensions and with or without a case.

Drawbacks - sometimes the mount does shake some when attached in the car. I am not sure if this is true of all mounts, as this is the only mount I have ever used. I do not have any experience with GPS units or anything. The shaking is minimal and is usually on a bumpy road or in lots of stop and go traffic.

Overall - I would recommend this product to my friends even though I am not 100% excited about it, but for the money and the versatility there really is not anything better that I have seen.
lkingsvs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:16 PM   #6
tbjohn
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshef View Post
I am currently using one in my car. It adheres well to the windshield as well as the dash. Although, if you plan on using it on your dash, make sure the spot you choose is relatively flat. (common sense stuff, but I figured I would add).

Another thing that brought me to purchase the exomount was the ease of application and the minimal amount of space it takes up. It isn't hooked to anything which gives me piece of mind when I go to take it off. No problems with residue or whatever you wish to call it.

I would recommend it to anyone searching for a car mount.


Edited to address the 'hold' on the phone.

The hold is tight and there is minimal shaking. The only shaking is attributed to the road you're on.
Bshef. Yeah, it looks clean and easy. Thanks for your info and advice. It looks like pretty good one to try out. Thanks.
tbjohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:29 PM   #7
tbjohn
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR Bulk View Post
Have a white one. Liked it for the styling, very clean and modern.

Requires two hands to clip the phone.

"Suction" cup is extremely interesting concept, basically a highly sticky gummy material (think of those rubbery octopus toys you threw at walls that would stick and slowly roll their way down - or not move at all if you threw it at a mirror or some other really smooth surface) formed into a cup shape. The gumminess fills the crevices in pebble-grained dashboards thus forming the leakproof suction.

We have a couple of rather stiff-riding German cars so there is some shaking over bumps, but I found if you let the bottom of the phone slide down to make contact with the dash before you let go of the clip to tighten around the phone, it takes almost all of this away.

When the suction cup is removed (or make that "pried off" as it can be a bit of a struggle getting it off) from the dash there is a slight "ring" mark. Have not tried to remove it because I think Armor-All or other surface treatments might degrade the suction cup's action - or not, but I left it alone anyway since it goes right back on that spot when I use the iPhone's GPS feature again.

Also have the iOttie which I actually like better for its phone-holding action (you do it one-handed) but the suction cup (made the same way of the same material) is a little more difficult to make "stick" onto the dash since you must rotate a ring to get the suction action vs. the easier to use lever of the Exo. Also the cup is smaller in diameter so it needs a more flat surface to get a grip, the Exo can achieve a hold on more curved parts of the dash.

As I recall they were both about the same price (was either $12 or $19 for each of them, somewhere in that range anyway, do not recall) so the choice is between one-handed phone-holding operation for the iOttie (although the suction cup is harder to attach) or the two-handed clip holder of the Exomount (although the suction cup is bigger and better and easier to use).

Toss up.
Now I see how the Exomount sticks on dashboard. Yeah I remember that really sticky octopus thing long time ago. It really was sticky and pretty cool. It is pretty brilliant that Exogear brought that octopus sticky thing idea into car mount suction cup. Anyway, thanks for your feedback.
tbjohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:48 PM   #8
bshef
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbjohn View Post
Bshef. Yeah, it looks clean and easy. Thanks for your info and advice. It looks like pretty good one to try out. Thanks.
No problem! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with it.
bshef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:09 PM   #9
tbjohn
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingsvs View Post
I have had this mount for approximately two weeks.
Here are my thoughts:

Suction - works great - as others have said - no residue left behind. I have attached mine to the drivers side window, front windshield, under the dash by my speedometer, in the middle of the dashboard, on my armrest so my kids could watch a video, even in the house onto a wooden bed frame. I have had zero issues with getting it to stick to any of these areas with little to minimal effort.

Hold - holds my iPhone with or without a case. It does require 2 hands so I do recommend you are stopped in your car when trying to place your device into the clip. The beauty of the design is that it will work with any device within certain dimensions and with or without a case.

Drawbacks - sometimes the mount does shake some when attached in the car. I am not sure if this is true of all mounts, as this is the only mount I have ever used. I do not have any experience with GPS units or anything. The shaking is minimal and is usually on a bumpy road or in lots of stop and go traffic.

Overall - I would recommend this product to my friends even though I am not 100% excited about it, but for the money and the versatility there really is not anything better that I have seen.
I probably would use it as a car mount on the windshield or dashboard but I agree that it's versatility makes it more interesting. If the shakiness is just as normal as other car mounts, I think I can deal with it. Thanks for your opinion.
tbjohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:20 PM   #10
MR Bulk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbjohn View Post
Now I see how the Exomount sticks on dashboard. Yeah I remember that really sticky octopus thing long time ago. It really was sticky and pretty cool. It is pretty brilliant that Exogear brought that octopus sticky thing idea into car mount suction cup. Anyway, thanks for your feedback.
Actually your thread made me think about it more and go out and check on my wife's car, she has not really used either the Exomount nor the iOttie ever since she threw this onto her dashboard, almost any device will stay put on it during short trips, unless you are going off-roading or something, and it truly is one-handed operation:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380472927319...84.m1439.l2649

The angle pivots through an arc range of little click stops and it was less than $5.
MR Bulk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 06:24 PM   #11
tbjohn
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR Bulk View Post
Actually your thread made me think about it more and go out and check on my wife's car, she has not really used either the Exomount nor the iOttie ever since she threw this onto her dashboard, almost any device will stay put on it during short trips, unless you are going off-roading or something, and it truly is one-handed operation:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380472927319...84.m1439.l2649

The angle pivots through an arc range of little click stops and it was less than $5.

Yeah, I hardly go off-road driving. Maybe once a year? lol.
That mount from ebay looks interesting. It looks like they used the same material as Exomount's suction. It's kind of hard to tell if that thing is a car mount or not at first glance. It looks nice though. But as long as that mount does it's job, I think I might get one especially for the price.
tbjohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:26 PM   #12
MR Bulk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbjohn View Post
Yeah, I hardly go off-road driving. Maybe once a year? lol.
That mount from ebay looks interesting. It looks like they used the same material as Exomount's suction. It's kind of hard to tell if that thing is a car mount or not at first glance. It looks nice though. But as long as that mount does it's job, I think I might get one especially for the price.
Yes it is indeed made of the same sticky octopus gummy material. The beauty is it fits anything since it's a flat surface with no ridges or other confining/defining structure.
MR Bulk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Tags
car mount

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Car Mount for iPhone 5? paulie6978 iPhone Accessories 78 Oct 7, 2014 12:48 PM
Car dock/mount CharlieBrandt09 iPhone Accessories 3 Dec 28, 2012 01:09 PM
Car mount? bige12 iPhone Accessories 34 Nov 2, 2012 11:02 AM
Best iPhone Mount for your Car sap12690 iPhone Accessories 25 Sep 18, 2012 09:44 AM
ALL IN ONE Car mount Djs621 iPhone Accessories 6 Aug 11, 2012 06:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC