Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I am constantly swapping my phones and find it's a pain to keep track of messaging, I will be in a conversation, then swap phones and lose track of that conversation for example. iMessage was pretty cool in that regard, although it only worked between iOS devices.

Is there anything similar to iMessage but that works in both iOS and Android?

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Whatsapp, hookt, viber.....nowadays I find everyone has at least one of those.

And then there is google talk (which can be accessed on ios through ebuddy, Im+ or unofficial gtalk messenger app. Works on pcs and macs too.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I am constantly swapping my phones and find it's a pain to keep track of messaging, I will be in a conversation, then swap phones and lose track of that conversation for example. iMessage was pretty cool in that regard, although it only worked between iOS devices.

Is there anything similar to iMessage but that works in both iOS and Android?

There's an app for Android - can't recall its exact name at the moment (SMS Backup Pro, I think) - which can backup your SMS messages each night to Dropbox or some other cloud storage. Then, when you switch phones, you can restore your messages from Dropbox using the same app on the other device.

Requires a little bit of manual work (backups are automated, but restoring requires a few taps), but at least you don't need to rely on a third-party messaging service like WhatsApp or FB Messenger.

Edit: re-read your post. The app above is Android-only, so you can backup/restore from Android to Android, but not sure how to get it to work with iOS.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Take a look at mighty text

+1....mighty text is fantastic! They have a google chrome plug in which gives u notifications. But you can also just go to mightytext.net and access ur messages from there. I have it installed on my MBP and my Galaxy Note 10.1. Works flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.