Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vree

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2013
Hi everyone,

So I updated to the new ios6 and had like 5 days work getting everything back like it used to be.
Ios 6.1.2

But for the final touch I wanted to use Iexplorer to put my old photo's back in the photo roll. And then everything went wrong :S

I deleted the following folder:
/private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE
Made a new one with the same name and putted all my old pictures in it.

Then I went to:
/private/var/mobile/Media/PhotoData
And deleted the files I had to but I think I deleted something I didn't backup or backed up wrong.

After messing around some of the following things happend(after deleting and retrying):
-Picture/photos app and camera app don't launch
-Picture/photos app launches with old pictures but new camera app pictures don't appear in them.
-I see 4 old random pictures and nothing else
-and so on.

So does anyone know how to fix this. I really can't afford to do a restore and lose days of work :S.

Maybe someone could upload a backup of thei PhotoData and that could fix it? Or tell me wich files to delete and try again???

Please I'm desperate. I really don't know what went wrong because I have done this before on the older Ios versions.

All help is really appreciated.

Last edited:

vree

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2013
Ok just solved my own issue and wanted to share it here:

What does it fix?:
-Camera app and Picture/photos app crashing.
-Thumbnails being black not showing
-Not all pictures being shown.
-Camera pictures taken not showing up in the album.

To begin:
1. Close the camera and picture/photos app by fast pressing the home button 2 times and shutting them down there.
2. Put all your old pictures in "/private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE"
OR delete every picture in there to have a clean start.

Process:
1. Go to "private/var/mobile/Media/PhotoData/" and delete every file (NO FOLDERS! just the files) from that directory
2. Delete "DCIM_APPLE.plist" from "private/var/mobile/Media/PhotoData/MISC/"
3. Delete everything in "private/var/mobile/Media/PhotoData/Thumbnails"

To end:
1. Disconnect you iphone from your PC and reboot it.
2. Take a random screenshot of your display by pressing power and home button at the same time.
3. Open the picture/photos app and wait. Then open the album folder and wait again.
After a while it should restore all your pictures from "/private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE"

Now you should be finished and everything should work fine again.
I hope this will help some people out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.