Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OwenMeasures

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
London
I'm looking at getting the OtterBox Commuter case for my iPhone 5... I have had cases before for my 4/4S but they have let in dust that eventually scratches the aluminium on the iPhone.

Can anyone tell me if the OtterBox Commuter stops this from happening.

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
The silicon they use is a dust magnet. The huge openings in the back only make it worse

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Avoid. Mine had a power button that was almost imposible to press, replacement was the same. Also has a huge silly lip.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
I liked this case a lot. Only downfall to me is the power button being hard to press. Dust wasn't an issue for me. The silicone didn't attract a lot of dust like the Incipio Dual Pro, which was the biggest issue with that case.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I agree that the silicon on the new-gen iP5 Commuter is lots better than the one I used on my 4/4s. It keeps it shape 100% better. I have several other cases...

*Speck Candyshells (3)
*Incipio Pro and clip-on
*InCase Slider & Slider Pro

...but I always seem to come back to the Commuter. Yeah, it's a little thick and kind of clunky, and I hate the stupid "hole" on the back that leaves the Apple logo vunerable to damage...and just looks amazingly dumb...but I have a confidence that if, on a rare occasion that I drop the phone I believe I'm protected better than in the other cases. It's also pretty "grippy" and easy to hold on to without being a pocket lint magnet like the Incipio and InCase cases that rely on the rubberized paint coating to provide traction.

Hope I like my soon-coming Mophie Juice Pack Air enough to use it instead. If not...it's back to the Commuter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.