Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I don't understand why the relatively small limitation on how many tweaks my iPhone 5 can handle before it's reached it's limit. Granted, I've more than topped it off with a large margin to play with and it's got 31.8% free, but it seems puzzling that all 16/32/64 have this same limitation. I suppose by the time you have THAT many tweaks, you should reconsider anyways. But a friend told me he used to JB his device to have 2GB of tweak area to play with with ih8sn0w or some tool like that back in the day. Anyways, can some explain on a technical level? Is this RAM usage or what? referring to 'storage' in 'manage tab' on Cydia.

Always appreciative, 1GB is nothing I personally fear, but I am curious.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You mean the OS partition? Very few things from Cydia make a sizable impact on that drive. You'd can install everything in Cydia and still have room on that drive.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Whatever is being displayed in 'Storage' under 'Manage' in Cydia but I think that is OS/system part, but why is it 1GB limit? Is that on Apple's behalf of the JB tweakers? I've clearly used quite a bit at 68% or so, but I also have it completely decked out with like 30+ tweaks going and wouldn't expect but a few more over time.

All tasteful in my opinion, but a lot of them to be sure with no noticeably adverse impact on the system in terms of battery or performance.

I'm even loving Ayecon at the moment, and I haven't Winterboard'ed since iPhone 3G days.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That partition is set to be that size by Apple because iOS runs from a fixed size drive that is set to be read only. Apple never intended that partition to be used for anything else other than iOS files. Cydia rearranges the partition by making symlinks to the larger media partition for all of the stuff one downloads from Cydia. Making the OS partition bigger has no gain anymore. All it does is take storage away from what iTunes is able to put onto your device. It's best to just ignore the fullness of that drive as it won't get any fuller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.