Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:17 PM   #1
MrFusion
macrumors 6502a

Mac Mini Colocation: your experience?

Hi

Could you tell me about your experience with colocation of a mac mini?
Any pitfalls, things to consider?
I can't find many host providers in Europe. Is there a website that compares them or do you know a good one?

My application for the server would be a server app in support of my iPhone/Mac OS X apps. Perhaps a stupid move, I don't know, but I like to develop the server app with the tools I am most familiar with (obj-c/xcode) rather than spend a lot of time learning the equivalent php, python,... libraries.

Your input is appreciated, thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 08:11 PM   #2
assembled
macrumors regular

I really don't understand why people pay as much as they do for Apple Colo.

If the application is just for you, then run it on whatever hardware you want on your home broadband. If the application is for more than just you, then it makes more sense to run it on something that has lower running costs...

Granted I have 40/10 connection at home, but it works just fine for the stuff that I want to run for just me, for anything else, I get a VPS, if the VPS gets overloaded, then it's producing enough income to move to something bigger.
assembled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:39 AM   #3
MrFusion
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by assembled View Post
I really don't understand why people pay as much as they do for Apple Colo.
Unfortunately costs seem to be higher, yes.

Quote:
If the application is just for you, then run it on whatever hardware you want on your home broadband.
Home broadband is not suitable for an online web app aimed at a global audience.

Quote:
If the application is for more than just you, then it makes more sense to run it on something that has lower running costs...
To run apps build on objective-c and Apple's libraries, you need Mac OS X and thus Apple hardware. I have a choice to either pay more for colo or learn another toolset. The latter can take months. Maybe not to learn a new language syntax, but certainly to learn the libraries and to get proficient with them. So I prefer to pay for the higher colo costs.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:41 AM   #4
jg900ss
macrumors newbie

Client of Macminicolo....

I am a client of the colo facility. Good people, technical, and I use my server to give me a US IP for access to sites in the US that might screen foreign IPs, and to store data for a group of colleagues who are spread out in US and EU. I am a satisfied customer and would recommend them to anyone.
Win/Linux machines. Real TV from Apple?
jg900ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:03 AM   #5
raymanster
macrumors regular

I've been using MacStadium for about two months now. So far I'm happy, fast speeds and prices seem good. I'm based in the UK, MacStadium is in Atlanta Georgia.
raymanster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:17 PM   #6
kweevuss
macrumors newbie

I bought my 2012 at the refresh and have loved it. I went from having 2 power hungry servers that I use for studying and labs that I do for Cisco and Microsoft tests to this that usually stays under 30 watts. No I wouldn't use this in a big enterprise situation but for home and SMB it's great. I first thought a whole ago I would just get an AirPort Extreme, but then after the thought I decided to go the whole way. I am also in college right now so I can always remote access it and share files. I also love having the fact I can set up WebDAV accounts and push out settings and apps. Used the right way I think it's a little powerful machine.
kweevuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Tags
colocation, mac mini