Please, don't make my mistake. - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:31 PM   #1
ipapis
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Please, don't make my mistake.

Hello, my friends,

I'm here to share my experience with you so you don't make the same mistake I did.

Well, I was a happy owner of a Macbook air 11 and a Macbook White 13.3. But I decided to give the first to my father and the last to my wife. Well, since I love games, I thought: " Why not try a Windows laptop again? After all, I was a heavy Microsoft user before and I did just great. And, this Windows 8 interface looks very friendly."

So, in my arrogance and naivety, I ordered a laptop with a Core I5 with 1Gb dedicated GPU. And I really thought I was being so smart: a similar Macbook Pro would cost twice and wouldn't let me play Windows games natively.

Oh, how could I be so wrong.

It all starts with the package. When I received it, the first thing I thought was:
"Well, it is not an IPad or MBA box, but this doesn't matter, because the laptop will be a rocket!"
Then, after I saw the laptop:
"Well, it is not a MBP, but if you look if from the side, under a weak light, it is beautiful. Well, surely it doesn't have the aluminum case, but who wants aesthetics?"

And then, I made the biggest mistake of my life (If you have a faint heart, please, stop Reading now):

I TURNED IT ON!

At first I thought that the interface was really clunky and not even intuitive. But surely, it was just me being too critic. After I thought that the mousepad wasn't responsive. Well, but that's why I bought a gaming mouse, right?

Then, I started to "play" with my new toy:

-Where's the dock?
-Why this Skype doesn't accept my 10 year old account?
-Why this Outlook doesn't synchronize?
-Why do I have to download 765 updates?
-Why is my computer unprotected?
-Why so many warnings?

-HEEEEELLLLP.

-I'm overreacting. This is a good machine. So, let me install the antivírus and update Windows 8.

-Oh, I was forgeting about the drivers. They need to be updated, too.

Well. After exactly 4 hours updating and installing the basic, my beautiful, powerful, incredible PC laptop froze. I resetted it. The system couldn't find my wireless adapter. I pluged it directly to the router. The system couldn't find my network adapter.

After 2 hours trying to solve the problem, and did a recovery deleting all the work I have done.

-How could I be so wrong? How could I be so naive?

Right now I'm writing this in my powerful machine, in which the mouse cursos lags, believe it or not. My old Core 2 Duo Macbook is much sharper.

Please, my friends, don't do the same mistake.

Sorry, I have to go now. I have a vírus scan to make.
ipapis is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
jmoore5196
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
I cannot help but think of John Ruskin's quote:

"There is hardly anything that a man cannot make a little cheaper, and people who consider price alone are this man's lawful prey."

Microsoft has been preying on the public for years. They've successfully lowered the common denominator for computing experiences to the point that what you've gone through is the norm. Why make hardware to an exceptional standard when the OS it's designed to run is complete crap?
jmoore5196 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Yesterday I was booted into Windows to play a game. I'd nearly finished an objective (at which point I'd be able to save) when the game suddenly quit without warning. My first thought was that it had crashed, but nope, Windows had decided to force a reboot to install updates.

That alone reminded me why I prefer OS X.
Nermal is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:02 PM   #4
PaulCostello
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Wow! Lol Thanks for reminding me why I switched all my PC's over to apple. Ill never look back! Thx for post. btw, I really was laughing out loud.
PaulCostello is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Yesterday I was booted into Windows to play a game. I'd nearly finished an objective (at which point I'd be able to save) when the game suddenly quit without warning. My first thought was that it had crashed, but nope, Windows had decided to force a reboot to install updates.

That alone reminded me why I prefer OS X.
I have not used Windows since XP, but it looks like you can still tell it not to automatically install updates like that. That is how I recall having XP configured.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040
 
Michael Goff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipapis View Post
Hello, my friends,

I'm here to share my experience with you so you don't make the same mistake I did.

Well, I was a happy owner of a Macbook air 11 and a Macbook White 13.3. But I decided to give the first to my father and the last to my wife. Well, since I love games, I thought: " Why not try a Windows laptop again? After all, I was a heavy Microsoft user before and I did just great. And, this Windows 8 interface looks very friendly."

So, in my arrogance and naivety, I ordered a laptop with a Core I5 with 1Gb dedicated GPU. And I really thought I was being so smart: a similar Macbook Pro would cost twice and wouldn't let me play Windows games natively.

Oh, how could I be so wrong.

It all starts with the package. When I received it, the first thing I thought was:
"Well, it is not an IPad or MBA box, but this doesn't matter, because the laptop will be a rocket!"
Then, after I saw the laptop:
"Well, it is not a MBP, but if you look if from the side, under a weak light, it is beautiful. Well, surely it doesn't have the aluminum case, but who wants aesthetics?"

And then, I made the biggest mistake of my life (If you have a faint heart, please, stop Reading now):

I TURNED IT ON!

At first I thought that the interface was really clunky and not even intuitive. But surely, it was just me being too critic. After I thought that the mousepad wasn't responsive. Well, but that's why I bought a gaming mouse, right?

Then, I started to "play" with my new toy:

-Where's the dock?
-Why this Skype doesn't accept my 10 year old account?
-Why this Outlook doesn't synchronize?
-Why do I have to download 765 updates?
-Why is my computer unprotected?
-Why so many warnings?

-HEEEEELLLLP.

-I'm overreacting. This is a good machine. So, let me install the antivírus and update Windows 8.

-Oh, I was forgeting about the drivers. They need to be updated, too.

Well. After exactly 4 hours updating and installing the basic, my beautiful, powerful, incredible PC laptop froze. I resetted it. The system couldn't find my wireless adapter. I pluged it directly to the router. The system couldn't find my network adapter.

After 2 hours trying to solve the problem, and did a recovery deleting all the work I have done.

-How could I be so wrong? How could I be so naive?

Right now I'm writing this in my powerful machine, in which the mouse cursos lags, believe it or not. My old Core 2 Duo Macbook is much sharper.

Please, my friends, don't do the same mistake.

Sorry, I have to go now. I have a vírus scan to make.
So there's no way you could have a bad machine?

It's simply impossible?

Edit: Also, some of your problems come from "why doesn't Windows work like OS X". If I had come to OS X expecting it to work just like Windows, I'd probably have been disappointed too.
__________________
13" Macbook Air (2012) Ultimate
OS X 10.9
Michael Goff is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I have not used Windows since XP, but it looks like you can still tell it not to automatically install updates like that. That is how I recall having XP configured.
I did find and change the option, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid default. Nothing should ever close your apps without asking.
Nermal is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:55 PM   #8
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020
 
TheMacBookPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
 
I hope OP isn't serious. Why isn't there a dock? Because it's Windows, not OS X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
I did find and change the option, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid default. Nothing should ever close your apps without asking.
The default is a pop-up window that asks you if you want to reboot to complete installing updates, and gives you 10 minutes before automatically doing so.
__________________
.MacBook Pro¹⁵ (Retina.2.6.16.512) | iPhone⁵ˢ (Space Gray.64.LTE) | iPad³ (Black.64.LTE) | Surfaceᴿᵀ (64.touch) | Nexus⁷ (16)
TheMacBookPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040
 
Michael Goff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacBookPro View Post
I hope OP isn't serious. Why isn't there a dock? Because it's Windows, not OS X



The default is a pop-up window that asks you if you want to reboot to complete installing updates, and gives you 10 minutes before automatically doing so.
Actually, Windows 8 will automatically restart your computer if you don't manually restart it within... 2 days.

>_>
__________________
13" Macbook Air (2012) Ultimate
OS X 10.9
Michael Goff is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 04:20 PM   #10
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
Actually, Windows 8 will automatically restart your computer if you don't manually restart it within... 2 days.

>_>
So what did we learn? OP got a new PC, expected it to be a mac, got upset after it told him it would install updates for 2 days, and then did so, and got upset that it won't connect to the internet or that he had to remember passwords. Sorry, but while Windows isn't like OS X, it's hardly a mistake.
__________________
MacBook • 17" MacBook Pro • iPod Nano • Apple TV
PS4 • Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop • WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 04:32 PM   #11
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I wouldn't trash Windows so readily. Sure it's not smooth but the fact that many games are only Win-based...

I find that when there is a problem in Windows, there are 10 work- arounds. With OSX, sometimes is a black box. Am thinking just because the user base is so much larger.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 06:26 PM   #12
racer1441
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Good warning. Windows 8 is like getting screwed by a rusty pole by a guy named bubba.

Avoid at all cost!
racer1441 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Abazigal
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
So there's no way you could have a bad machine?

It's simply impossible?

Edit: Also, some of your problems come from "why doesn't Windows work like OS X". If I had come to OS X expecting it to work just like Windows, I'd probably have been disappointed too.
OSX knows when to work like windows and when to do stuff its own way (else there would be no reason for me to switch over from windows). Granted, it still has quirks of its own, but generally, it does have me scratching my head and going "um...why didn't windows do this right from the get go?"
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:29 AM   #14
Brian Y
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I had to use Windows 8 to test a website in a virtual machine - oh my god! Now I'll admit up front that the last time I used Windows as a full-time OS was Windows 2000 - but seriously - what the hell have they done to Windows 8.

I mean, to turn it off, you have to hover the mouse over to one site, go to settings, then choose power off. Cause the "power" is a setting >.<
Brian Y is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:07 AM   #15
rbrian
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
I mean, to turn it off, you have to hover the mouse over to one site, go to settings, then choose power off. Cause the "power" is a setting >.<
I briefly had a job installing broadband in homes (briefly because there wasn't enough work - I mean seriously, who can't read the instructions in the box or locate a 12 year old to do it for them?)

At that time, I only used Windows; Macs were foreign to me. It took quite some time to figure out how to turn an iMac on. I mean who hides the power switch round the back of the screen where you can't see it?

All computers should have something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	High-Voltage-Switch-470785.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	401609  
__________________
2011 11" Air i5 1.6/4/128; 2011 Mac mini; iPad mini retina 128GB; iPhone 5s 64GB; Apple TV3
rbrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:49 AM   #16
Sleepy01
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I tried to go back to PC also. Not sure why ? Maybe nostalgia since my first computers were PC's.

Laptop experience. (Why is my trackpad broken) It was not, the glass Macbook trackpads spoil us all.

Desktop experience. (Why does my desktop sound like a washing machine) ?

Windows 8 experience (Just plain WHY ?)

Meh, the cheapest Mac is a better user experience than the most expensive PC
Sleepy01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:34 PM   #17
abz1981
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Wow that a story. Are you going to sell this pos and return it and go back to a mac?
__________________
13.3" Macbook Air 2011, 1.7GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128GB flash storage; Apple Iphone 5 16GIG Black.
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:48 PM   #18
MuffCabbage
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Updates restart computer in 2 days on Windows 8.
There's built in AntiVirus.
Trackpad may suck.. Some are good some are bad. Its what you get when you go cheap sometimes. Driver updates may help.
Updates are what keeps you safe. Its just what happens these days with electronics.
SuperBar>Dock for me.
Now that all the initial updates are done its not going to be an issue anymore.
Did you not look at the computer before you bought?




Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
MuffCabbage is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:03 PM   #19
tekno
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I think it's time for a third operating system to start pushing through. Windows is widely regarded as fairly awful, OS X is becoming quite long in the tooth and with more and more people looking to Android, Apple's many devoted May be looking elsewhere.

I think the time is ripe for Google to create a desktop operating system.
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:14 PM   #20
elppa
macrumors 68040
 
elppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
I think it's time for a third operating system to start pushing through. Windows is widely regarded as fairly awful, OS X is becoming quite long in the tooth and with more and more people looking to Android, Apple's many devoted May be looking elsewhere.

I think the time is ripe for Google to create a desktop operating system.
They've already got one, it's called Chrome.
elppa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:14 PM   #21
tekno
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by elppa View Post
They've already got one, it's called Chrome.
I don't think anyone would see Chrome as a competitor to OSX and Windows - its cloud-based set-up makes it fairly useless as a true OS.

Personally, I'd like to ditch OS X, but Windows is too dangerous for me to commit to. And those are my only options. So I'm stuck with OS X.
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:32 PM   #22
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
So what did we learn? OP got a new PC, expected it to be a mac, got upset after it told him it would install updates for 2 days, and then did so, and got upset that it won't connect to the internet or that he had to remember passwords. Sorry, but while Windows isn't like OS X, it's hardly a mistake.
nobody is saying it's a "mistake." in fact that's what makes it frustrating: it's a feature (or perhaps even a necessity if stack mem overflows are still a windows problem)

what happens is sometimes that popup doesn't trump the GPU so yo don't notice it's ticking until your machine reboots.

it's by no means a deal killer, but it's definitely "one of those things"

certainly apple OSs have a few of their own - but not as many imo.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:22 PM   #23
PraisiX-windows
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
I find it odd considering how awful skype is for mac, it should be okay for windows.
Is your post serious? it seems like a joke the way you build up suspense for the punchline. My troll/sheep combo detector definitely buzzed a bit reading this.
PraisiX-windows is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:24 PM   #24
ilifecomputer
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2/10 for me.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
ilifecomputer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:32 PM   #25
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Seems a bit suspicious for a first and only post. Tim, is that you?
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I make a mistake on buying a new iPod touch 4g? Tony78228 iPod touch 38 Jan 24, 2014 09:49 AM
Did I make a mistake? (Screen protectors) Orange Furball iPhone Accessories 26 Apr 3, 2013 09:25 PM
Apple agrees to return your rMBP? Don't make the mistake I made.. Ccrew MacBook Pro 40 Mar 12, 2013 04:28 PM
Learn from my mistake... don't overuse InsomniaX, Caffeine, Sleepless starstruck MacBook Pro 5 Sep 6, 2012 06:53 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC