Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
I love the iphone 5 with no case on but after a smashed screen 3 months ago I use a case. I really went to go back to no case it looks and feels so much better

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Got insurance that's what I claimed off last time was such a nightmare though

And I have this as a reminder
FED5DFF0-165E-4EA4-A4C0-ACFEA296E006-1856-0000011C38E429F9.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Wow, that iPhone 5 really got f**ed up! That's probably the worst screen smash I've ever seen.

I use my iPhone without a case. Yes, it's getting scratched and chipped over time, but to me a scratched and chipped iPhone will always look and feel better than an iPhone in a case!

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I use the Incipio Frequency on my 5. My phone is Black with a Black case.
I simply love it. Very protective, yet not bulky, and is flexible.

Just my opinion, but check it out. As far as Naked goes, Apple Care +.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I love the iphone 5 with no case on but after a smashed screen 3 months ago I use a case. I really went to go back to no case it looks and feels so much better
..and you've already had a smashed screen... I'd go with a bumper. It soften the lines of the phone and still protects it well.

Hard full cases just exaggerate the square/brick shape of the phone.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I don't have a case on my phone, but the sides near the top right have chipped and scuffed a little, so I might get a bumper.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Me thinks it some kind of Social Therapy for those that need to discuss things like this... :D :confused:

So many threads are of the which-sock-should-I-put-on-first variety. You are right that it must serve some positive (therapeutic?) purpose for the OP.:confused:

What that might be is beyond me...attention is the only reinforcer I can think of. :rolleyes:

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Three words: Twelve South SurfacePad.

It's not so much a "case" as a very thin, very light cover. It probably still won't do much if you drop the phone, but I think it's a great compromise.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
I have the black iphone 5 and it's been naked since the day i got it back in November.

There's slight wear on the edges but I don't really care since it's a phone rather than a rolex or status statement. I'm impressed, having seen others on here and elsewhere, how little actual wear there is actually.

It is 100x more enjoyable to use naked, for sure!

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Been using iPhones since the silver original iPhone 1, and due to the nature of the cell contract renewals plus the value retention of used Apple products, for me personally it pays to keep my iPhones looking like brand new. I hang on to the boxes and original cables and earphones (sometimes I don't even use them and just buy aftmarket ones, except now I cannot with the iP5 Lightning) and when it's contract renewal time I sell or trade my old phone for more than the latest model, especially with contract renewal prices.

I got $150 credit for my iP4 several months ago when I bought the iPhone 5. So I paid a $49 difference. If I had the time and patience I probably could have sold it myself for more.

So for me it makes sense to keep your phones in nice condition.

After all, as Muhammad Ali once replied when asked about all his money and jewelry and cars and houses, "We don't own any of this. We just holdin' it for the next guy."

Amen.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Been using iPhones since the silver original iPhone 1, and due to the nature of the cell contract renewals plus the value retention of used Apple products, for me personally it pays to keep my iPhones looking like brand new. I hang on to the boxes and original cables and earphones (sometimes I don't even use them and just buy aftmarket ones, except now I cannot with the iP5 Lightning) and when it's contract renewal time I sell or trade my old phone for more than the latest model, especially with contract renewal prices.

I got $150 credit for my iP4 several months ago when I bought the iPhone 5. So I paid a $49 difference. If I had the time and patience I probably could have sold it myself for more.

So for me it makes sense to keep your phones in nice condition.

After all, as Muhammad Ali once replied when asked about all his money and jewelry and cars and houses, "We don't own any of this. We just holdin' it for the next guy."

Amen.

Honestly, you could of used it without babying it (and, no case) and still have easily received $150. even having discarded the box.
You added no value by taking care of your iPhone4. Back when the iPhone5 was released iP4's were selling for $200.+ so trading yours in did you no favors.

allthatjazz

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
Honestly, you could of used it without babying it (and, no case) and still have easily received $150. even having discarded the box.
You added no value by taking care of your iPhone4. Back when the iPhone5 was released iP4's were selling for $200.+ so trading yours in did you no favors.

true that , they are still going for over $200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.