Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katacarbix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
I'm using Garageband to casually produce techno/EDM music that I can create really unique synths for. However, the drums are still the default Dance or Techno drums and I don't have a wide variety of drum sounds to make. Thanks all!

PS: If someone has a good link that works for me, I'll post the current song I'm working on to SoundCloud and give you the link! :D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm using Garageband to casually produce techno/EDM music that I can create really unique synths for. However, the drums are still the default Dance or Techno drums and I don't have a wide variety of drum sounds to make. Thanks all!

PS: If someone has a good link that works for me, I'll post the current song I'm working on to SoundCloud and give you the link! :D

Apple's Logic comes with "Ultrabeat". if you need it, then it's worth the price of Logic. Also there is any number of plugin drum synths in Apple's AU format.

Buy a short subscription then watch the video about ultrabeat
http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9204

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Apple used to sell "jam packs" with additional instruments for GarageBand. I'm not sure if they still sell these now. But if you download Logic Pro from the App Store they are included and I believe they will be accessible in GarageBand too (although Logic is a much more powerful program).

Downside is that it costs $200.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'd call that an upside.

Yes, you get Logic which is a big upgrade from Garage Band and it comes with Ultrabeat plus many other good synths and it comes with all those loops and samples in the jam packs and the whole package is $200.

The lops and samples are good but really are just more of what you get in Garage Band. The Synth is different, you can use it to create sounds that have never been heard before.

Logic Pro is actually a good reason to justify buying an Apple computer.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I'd call that an upside.

Well, of course... Logic is a real bargain at $200 IMO and much more powerful than GarageBand. My comment was in the context that spending $200 on Logic just to get Jam packs for GarageBand was rather expensive.

But if you are serious about audio, it's a great investment and well worth the time to learn how to use. Logic can also open all your existing GarageBand projects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.