Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chickdigger802

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Morphies are a bit expensive and apparently the finish isn't all that great for the premium price.

Was wondering if any of y'all has tried any cheaper ones on ebay or other stores and would recommend?

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
The worst that could happen is it ruins your battery and ultimately your phone. I don't care for the way Apple gouges made for apple prodcut mfg's and the way they are approaching the lightning connector but at the same time for the price of a 64GB iP5 full retail I am not going to cheap out on the cable or the battery case that could ruin a $849 device.

I have AppleCare+ but I would rather use the 2 accidental damage replacements for real accidental damage and not my own stupidity when it came to cheap battery cases that are not safe. Personal choice, personal opinion.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Morphies are a bit expensive and apparently the finish isn't all that great for the premium price.

Was wondering if any of y'all has tried any cheaper ones on ebay or other stores and would recommend?

I would recommend y'all don't buy cheap crap from eBay. At best, y'all will waste your money. At worst, ruin your phone.

Also, it is Mophie.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Anybody that says buying a battery case off ebay can 'ruin your phone/battery' has absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

I've had a third party case on every iphone except the 5 (only because I don't really need one) and have had no issues.

It's no different than buying a 3rd party charger. The charging mechanism is what does everything. Worst case scenario is the battery itself may not last as long as some of the others, more expensive ones but you can always just buy another one (This has never been a problem for me though).

Heck, a quick search gave this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2200mah-iPh...296270?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a7e5f944e

Larger battery than the Mophie
No ugly branding
1/3 of the price.

Last edited:

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Anybody that says buying a charger off ebay can 'ruin your phone/battery' has absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

The thread is about battery cases, not chargers. And you can speak to the quality of every one on eBay? Wow.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
The thread is about battery cases, not chargers. And you can speak to the quality of every one on eBay? Wow.

Ah, that was a typo. Meant battery cases as the rest of the post clearly implies.

No, I don't speak to quality of every case on ebay. I just don't make conjectures that every battery case on ebay will blow up your phone.

You people sound like an old granny reading tabloids.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Ah, that was a typo. Meant battery cases as the rest of the post clearly implies.

No, I don't speak to quality of every case on ebay. I just don't make conjectures that every battery case on ebay will blow up your phone.

You people sound like an old granny reading tabloids.

I didn't make any conjectures about all cases either. Nice try at lying about what I wrote.

I'll defer to your knowledge about grannies. I'm sure it is 2 or 3 times as in depth, and much more personal, as your knowledge of eBay chargers.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
I didn't make any conjectures about all cases either. Nice try at lying about what I wrote.

I'll defer to your knowledge about grannies. I'm sure it is 2 or 3 times as in depth, and much more personal, as your knowledge of eBay chargers.

Ah, the old ad hominem. Grasping at straws already?

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Ah, the old ad hominem. Grasping at straws already?

Grasping? Nah, just returning what you started. If someone wants to risk their $500 phone to save a few bucks based on someone whose first post on this thread calls people who disagree with him, names, that's their decision.

/end

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Grasping? Nah, just returning what you started. If someone wants to risk their $500 phone to save a few bucks based on someone whose first post on this thread calls people who disagree with him, names, that's their decision.

/end

You need to get a thicker skin it wasn't an insult, just an analogy.

My point is before people start calling doom and gloom, they should really have justification for saying so. Maybe some stories they've seen/heard of this happening, anything more than 'don't do it.' I have used unofficial chargers in the past without issue.

Also, these things are just microusb. I'm not an electrical engineer but we're talking 5v or so. I just don't see how it can ruin the phone/battery - surely we would have heard of this happening before (either with unofficial chargers or battery cases)?

Because we're dealing with lightning now? Unofficial lightning cables are hugely popular as well and I haven't heard of any issues with those either (using a few myself).

chickdigger802

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Glad there is heated argument atm, which is why I'm asking about experiences with specific dealers. Don't want my phone to blow up just yet :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.