Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djn4eva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
so you've probably guessed it... ive broke my iPad!

is there any way for me to get it repaired or replaced without paying the full price? It was a gift and I didnt get AppleCare.

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 475

djn4eva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
It was totally my fault! I sat it on the floor beside me during dinner. Only this time my chair was a lil too close and ended up on top of it. Next thing u know.... CRACK!! a major FAIL for me.

djn4eva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
i just wanted to make sure that its even eligible for oow replacement since the corner is bent

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Looks like it should be eligible for Out of Warranty service. You wil basically be given a refurbished unit as a replacement. So make sure you do a full backup before bringing it in.

Apple charges $299 for 3rd and 4th Gen iPads, $249 for 2nd gen or original, and $219 for iPad minis.

I would go to a repair shop and ask if they can fix it though. Metal can be bent back but will never be the same, but if that's okay with you maybe you can get the glass replaced cheaper and still have a functioning unit.

Personally, I would do the out of warranty repair OR sell my unit "as is" on eBay and buy another one, depending on what you calculate will be cheaper or better for you.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i just wanted to make sure that its even eligible for oow replacement since the corner is bent

Yep. Should be.

Of course you could go to a third party and get some $50 screen replacement but if it fails and Apple can tell the screen is fake you just lost even OOW options. So to me, it isn't worth it to try.

djn4eva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. Ill probably end up just doing an OOW replacement. Afterwards would i be able to add AppleCare+ or any insurance to cover future mistakes?

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Apple Care+ is $50 on refurbished units at the point of sale.

It's a great deal.

I would go OOW. The only way I'd go to a shop to get it done is if they use Apple branded components. If they're using OEM or generic, it's not worth the risk of going in to Apple for service and getting rejected.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sorry to hear about it dude, but perhaps this is a good life lesson - never put it on the floor near chairs (I never put mine on the floor).

Good luck on getting it repaired/replaced Apple is pretty good about out of Warranty service.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Apple might replace it without cost, but there is no guarantee that they will. Otherwise it is a painful life lesson.

Last edited:

Mooey

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
Hahaha, I'm sorry, but you sat on your iPad and crushed it? Those photos are priceless.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
I never understood how some people can be careless with their electronics. Most of these damaged iOS devices threads can be easily avoided.

Putting your ipad on the floor next to chairs? OP, I feel for you and glad you can get a replacement and hopefully you'll be more mindful of where you place it.

Yes, some things are just of your control but if you take the right precautions, you can drastically improve the lifespan your electronics.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I love these "How can you be so careless?" remarks.

How about: "How can you be so annoying?"

Or: "How can you be so heartless?"

The dude goofed. He was probably busy enjoying life not obsessing with objects.

(Then again, maybe he was wasted) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.