Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Pretty simple really. I have yet to see a new iPhone 5 out of the box without a dent, ding or scratch. The majority of the dings and dents are on the chamfered edges of the device.

Ive given 5 iPhone 5's as gifts to my family. All had some sort of defect. 2 were exchanged this week and also had defects. I recently developed a home button issue. My first replacement looked like it was dropped. The second was much better but has a small dent on the left side of the device.

Is a dent and ding free device to much to ask for new out of the box? Very disappointing.
Andy

Last edited:

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Pretty simple really. I have yet to see a new iPhone 5 out of the box without a dent, ding or scratch. The majority of the dings and dents are on the chamfered edges of the device.

Ive given 5 iPhone 5's as gifts to my family. All had some sort of defect. 2 were exchanged and also had defects. I recently developed a home button issue. My first replacement looked like it was dropped. The second was much better but has a small dent on the left side of the device.

Is a dent and ding free device to much to ask for new out of the box? Very disappointing.
Andy

Not build quality, quality control. The iPhone has the best build quality of any mobile device. This is also why the quality control is so poor because it's so hard to make.

Apple has actually made some major changes to it's manufacturing process to reduce issues if you read around.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada

Ive given 5 iPhone 5's as gifts to my family. All had some sort of defect. 2 were exchanged and also had defects. I recently developed a home button issue. My first replacement looked like it was dropped. The second was much better but has a small dent on the left side of the device.

Andy

Pretty simple,I haven't yet found any iPhone 5 with any dings or dents or whatever-have seen around 15 so far in person.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
I've seen 15 in person. All have visible dents and dings. The smallest just have scratches on the back aluminum. Either I have bad luck or you two are very lucky!

Gunlance

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Talk about major OCD. The build quality is superb. All those scuff issues are user problems. These are probably the same people who rant and rave about scratches on the metal and then put a plastic case over the phone. Use the phone as a PHONE and stop letting it control your life.

Yester5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Mine is still perfect (white one) after 6 months of carry...I have 9 friends and family members that have black and white ones and they are perfect too...so to answer your question.."it doesn't".

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Seems like early production units are the one with cosmetic blemishes. My mom has a scratch on hers, that one was purchased December. I got mine about a month ago and unluckily, it was flawless out of box.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Talk about major OCD. The build quality is superb. All those scuff issues are user problems. These are probably the same people who rant and rave about scratches on the metal and then put a plastic case over the phone. Use the phone as a PHONE and stop letting it control your life.

I use the phone as a phone but when the phone has noticeable defects out of the box it bothers me. I admit I am picky but the defects are visible. I still buy Apple stuff but have never seen such poor quality control on any item as I have seen with the iPhone 5.

----------

Seems like early production units are the one with cosmetic blemishes. My mom has a scratch on hers, that one was purchased December. I got mine about a month ago and unluckily, it was flawless out of box.

I wish I had your luck. I've purchased 5 brand new phones and had 5 replacements due to issues and all have had minor damage. Waiting for the 5S to hopefully iron out these problems.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I know several people with iPhone 5's, and I have also purchased a bunch for the company I work at, and they all looked perfect out of the box.

Many of them still without cases and they are in very good condition, maybe some scratches and such, but thats no different from the iPhone 4's. Even the 3G's and all the way back to the original iPhone, things get worn, things get scratched, dinged, etc. I don't know why people think Apple products are the exception to this.

When you use any product without any type of protective case/skin it's bound to show some wear and tear over time, paired with the fact that everyone treats their devices differently, it's no shocker to have seen some dinged up and scratched.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
I know several people with iPhone 5's, and I have also purchased a bunch for the company I work at, and they all looked perfect out of the box.

Many of them still without cases and they are in very good condition, maybe some scratches and such, but thats no different from the iPhone 4's. Even the 3G's and all the way back to the original iPhone, things get worn, things get scratched, dinged, etc. I don't know why people think Apple products are the exception to this.

When you use any product without any type of protective case/skin it's bound to show some wear and tear over time, paired with the fact that everyone treats their devices differently, it's no shocker to have seen some dinged up and scratched.

I'm not talking about after usage. I'm talking about brand new out of box or refurbished from AppleCare. All had visible defects out of the box/white box replacement.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Pretty simple,I haven't yet found any iPhone 5 with any dings or dents or whatever-have seen around 15 so far in person.

Same. The forums are the only place where I have seen/heard of the out of box issues. I have bought 3 iPhone 5s and have a few friends with them, black and white all good.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Pretty simple. There are trolls, and folks with OCD that hold the iPhone to a COMPLETELY different standard than any other mass produced consumer electronic ever produced.

In a way it IS Apples fault. They produce SUCH a high quality product, with such high levels of refinement, that people actually get butt hurt when one appears with a mm "scuff" out of the box that you can kinda see, if you hold the phone at the right angle and in the right light...

The VAST majority of users (save the OCD'ers and trolls of course) are completely satisfied with the "quality control" of the iPhone.

You aren't. Buy something else maybe? Nah, that would be riddled with "problems" too, unless you held it to a different standard.

And save me the "I spent $$$ so it better be FLAWLESS" crap, because if you whined about ANY other product the way you whine about this PHONE people would literally roll their eyes and laugh at you. Almost no mass produced product is "flawless" if you look hard enough. If that's not acceptable to you (tiny marks, "scuffs" or other meaningless "defects") then don't buy mass produced products.

Nothing will ever be good enough. You can lie and say you had a phone once that was, but if you gave me ten minutes and a microscope I could find plenty of "quality control" issues with it too. The difference is, you didn't hold it to the same standard as you do the iPhone.

There is NO quality control "problem" with the 5. Just a handful of OCD'ers and trolls bent on complaining because they can't accept reality.

Sorry:p

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Pretty simple. There are trolls, and folks with OCD that hold the iPhone to a COMPLETELY different standard than any other mass produced consumer electronic ever produced.

In a way it IS Apples fault. They produce SUCH a high quality product, with such high levels of refinement, that people actually get butt hurt when one appears with a mm "scuff" out of the box that you can kinda see, if you hold the phone at the right angle and in the right light...

The VAST majority of users (save the OCD'ers and trolls of course) are completely satisfied with the "quality control" of the iPhone.

You aren't. Buy something else maybe? Nah, that would be riddled with "problems" too, unless you held it to a different standard.

And save me the "I spent $$$ so it better be FLAWLESS" crap, because if you whined about ANY other product the way you whine about this PHONE people would literally roll their eyes and laugh at you. Almost no mass produced product is "flawless" if you look hard enough. If that's not acceptable to you (tiny marks, "scuffs" or other meaningless "defects") then don't buy mass produced products.

Nothing will ever be good enough. You can lie and say you had a phone once that was, but if you gave me ten minutes and a microscope I could find plenty of "quality control" issues with it too. The difference is, you didn't hold it to the same standard as you do the iPhone.

There is NO quality control "problem" with the 5. Just a handful of OCD'ers and trolls bent on complaining because they can't accept reality.

Sorry:p

I've owned every iPhone since the original. Have multiple Apple products. Have never had an issue with any product as I've had since the iPhone 5. I also own stock. I am not a troll nor am I OCD.

I just expect things that I buy to be flawless out of the box. I haven't had an issue with any other product I've purchased >$500 with the exception of my Nespresso gran maestria machine.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I agree, it sucks... I mean the iPhone 5 is a nice device from the hardware point of view, it's fast, camera's great, no issues there, but the build quality just sucks. I'm on my 5th iPhone 5 and I had to content with a flawed phone with cosmetical blemishes.

1 - Scuffed out of the box
2 - Bent out of the box
3 - Took this one, but after 1 week the power button broke
4 - Dented out of the box
5 - Has scratches on the bezel, but they aren't that big so I took this one

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think the answer lies within the fabrication process. Every iPhone before it (minus the 4 and 4S... those were the best designs to date IMO) had issues, generally with the case. The 3G and 3GS would have cracks around the speaker and 30-pin ports, if not out of the box, often times after normal use (with no other dings, scuffs, or indication of drops). It is what it is. I personally got a white phone because, even though the black one is SUPER sexy, I knew I couldn't live with dings be it out of the box or done by me, which are much easier to see even without looking for them on the black phone. Happy to say that I am three months into owning the thing and no issues yet. :)

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apple is expecting near miracles out of Foxconn when it comes to the manufacturing so many units in record time. Something's gotta give. Apples greed prevents them from maintaining the quality standards they set in the past. Mass produced high volume products are always a compromise.

Being a very clever company they also realize the average consumer is afraid to complain. For those who do, Apples profit is so high they can easily afford to give some away to impress their followers.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Just got a 5 from the apple store like yesterday. It's absolutely perfect out of the box, so I don't know if its hit or miss or if QC have gotten tighter with the phones now that they've been out for a while now.

BoostDeuce

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
The iPhone has the best build quality of any mobile device.

are you kidding me? People on this forum post about going crazy by taking their iphones out of their cases because they are so fragile. There isn't a more fragile phone out there. I'm on this forum because i'm pretty sure i want to pull the trigger on the iphone 5, but i worry because i never use a case on my phones and tend to drop them about twice a month. I've never had an issue with my HTC phones with gorilla glass, but this iphone worries me.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
are you kidding me? People on this forum post about going crazy by taking their iphones out of their cases because they are so fragile. There isn't a more fragile phone out there. I'm on this forum because i'm pretty sure i want to pull the trigger on the iphone 5, but i worry because i never use a case on my phones and tend to drop them about twice a month. I've never had an issue with my HTC phones with gorilla glass, but this iphone worries me.

If you drop your phones and plan on not using a case....get ready for a very ugly iphone (if you get black). There will be a lot of white/silver showing through after those drops. I use my phone naked but, knock on wood, have not dropped a phone in like 3 years.

tongmew

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
You kind of need a case on your iPhone 5 because the keyboard on the iPhone 5 is kinda tight because of the longer screen.

BoostDeuce

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
If you drop your phones and plan on not using a case....get ready for a very ugly iphone (if you get black). There will be a lot of white/silver showing through after those drops. I use my phone naked but, knock on wood, have not dropped a phone in like 3 years.

i try to be careful but apparently not careful enough. I dropped my HTC thunderbolt probably 15+ times and the screen never cracked, even when dropped on gravel. Only got a few small dents on the corners of the case.

I see no point in buying an iphone 5, which is so sleek and lightweight, and putting on a half inch thick case. I want the iphone for the facetime and the smaller size and weight. My wifes galaxy s3 is too big to comfortably use daily

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
The chamfered edge on the ipad mini holds up much better than on the iphone which i struggle to understand.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I have personally seen 9000 iPhone 5s.

I can say, definitively, the some of them are dinged and scuffed, and some of them are unmarked.

I can say, definitively, that the Quality Control sometimes is very good, and sometimes not so good.

I can say, definitively, that Apple production is not perfect, and never will be.

So there it is...definitively!!

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.