Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TechCrunch reports that Philips has created an official developer program for its Wi-Fi connected Hue home lighting system, which includes an SDK for iOS and APIs to allow hardware and software developers to integrate Hue into their products.

Hue, which is exclusive to iOS, allows users to control LED lightbulbs via the iPhone and an accompanying bridge that uses the ZigBee communication protocol.

"We're now at a point where there are already about 10 applications that have been shared and built from the unofficial developer community for new applications around Hue," explained George Yianni, Hue System Architect in an interview. "Now what we want to do as Philips is we actually want to help and grow and encourage this community, and give them tools and proper documentation. Also, we want to give them commitment that this is the API and we're going to support it and it won't change overnight."
Though Hue-integrated third party apps such as last week's Ambify have been released, these solutions do not use official APIs. According to Yianni, the unavailability of official APIs is the main reason that the Hue has yet to be integrated into additional apps and connected home devices.

The new Hue tools are freely available for all developers interested in creating a product or an app that connects to the system.

Philips plans to add additional functionality to the Hue in the future, focusing on geofencing, scheduling, and other sensor capabilities. The company is also working on expanding the Hue line with new lightbulb types.

Article Link: Philips Releases Open APIs and SDK for iOS Controlled Hue Lighting System

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
If these systems weren't set at fantasyland prices I'd have them all over my house and Philips would have a customer before other manufacturers jump in with thier offerings.
As it is, I'm holding on to my money and Philips make nothing on me.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012

hybra

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Cool bulbs, I just miss the cyan tone, that they seem to be unable to build up (they produce a blueish white instead, and can't quite understand why, while I can live without the brown and black)...

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
if & how fast the change from color to color is, these lamps should be interesting with films & home theaters; depending on the scene's color scheme, they could change to match. of course this would mean that a database of films should exist with matching color information

feel free to whatever me

--edit
I just read about ambify so I am not on the fringe side

Last edited:

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
if & how fast the change from color to color is, these lamps should be interesting with films & home theaters; depending on the scene's color scheme, they could change to match. of course this would mean that a database of films should exist with matching color information

feel free to whatever me

--edit
I just read about ambify so I am not on the fringe side

Films ?? Screw that - I want to play Halo with these things controlled by the xbox and hooked into the colour of weapons being fired :D

Edit: Anyone with the technical know how to code this please feel free to rip off this idea and make it work. I ask only for a message to say when it is available and a free copy :)

Last edited:

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
... Geofencing

These are mains-powered bulbs. I'm not sure how easy it would be to convert them to a mobile battery-powered installation.

Oh wait, the geofencing is for the ios / android app, not the bulb! Whoops.

Nevermind, I shall use this in my husband-detect-o-prox-o-tron. Scenario: we are merrily swiving away at home, husband approaches within 1 mile, Find-my-friends alert goes off, Philips Hue bulb above bed starts flashing blue and red, time to deploy pants and exunt.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
It's just a shame they don't fit standard UK light fittings

Yes they do. Most UK shops sell both bayonet and screw-in bulbs. I have both in my house (unfortunately).

Ps, one advantage of being in the UK is you can use 'pants' in the UK sense and have it read in the much tamer USA sense by the mods here :)

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
If these systems weren't set at fantasyland prices I'd have them all over my house and Philips would have a customer before other manufacturers jump in with thier offerings.
As it is, I'm holding on to my money and Philips make nothing on me.

I have 8 bulbs through out my house. Cost is relative.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

How do you like em? Am thinking about making the leap...

What would be cool is if the API could be used by apps like DJ or even iTunes and the bulbs could be programmed to fire according to beats and change hues at the same time -- can thru already do that - dunno

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I love my Hue setup, but firmware or software still seems beta to me. There could be huge improvements made to the app and I'm not sure how much of the issues are app vs firmware on hardware itself.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Hence he said "I'd have them," not 'Everyone would have them.'

Then let me put it another way. "Fantasyland pricing" is relative to what you find to be good value for the money. First of all, they're led lights, which are not only expensive, but last upwards of 20 years. Second, they're network connected. Third, they are a fully integrated, holistic system. Nobody else has "undercut" them yet.

When they were announced (the only place I saw any press on them was Macrumors and 9to5 Mac) they flew off the shelves. I had to drive to three different Apple stores in two days to be able to find a system and three additional bulbs. And every other store I called said they were selling out as fast as they could get them in. So I'd say that there is a market for them.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD

I have 6, and really like them as well. mainly in my basement rec room where i have 4 of them, and on one side i like watching a movie in the dim light, and on the other, my son needs light so he can play with his toys.

with these, you can dim them independently which creates a nice look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.