Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xSaiyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
So I dropped my MacBook Pro the other day. After dying on the inside I calmed down and found this website. I NEED HELP. So I dropped it from my tall bunk bed. When I went to go pick it up the screen was not cracked, however the display was acting strange. Only the top left corner (about 1/4 of it) was displaying correctly. The rest of the screen was showing the 1/4 that was working over and over again as if there were many Mac displays stacked on top of one another. It is also constantly moving. I tried restarting it, but it still like this. If somebody could help me out I would be extremely generous.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Displaying on an external monitor doesn't mean the board is good..I have a 15" board here that runs great connected to an external monitor but won't fire-up the internal.

ayasinsk

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Displaying on an external monitor doesn't mean the board is good..I have a 15" board here that runs great connected to an external monitor but won't fire-up the internal.

What you said makes no sense. Video card is what drives the image on display, regardless of which display/monitor it is being projected on. So if you were having issues with your video card regardless which monitor you would connect to the image would be screwed. You have an issue with either the cable going from your video card to lcd screen or the screen itself.

OP connect your macbook to an external monitor and go from there.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
What you said makes no sense. Video card is what drives the image on display, regardless of which display/monitor it is being projected on. So if you were having issues with your video card regardless which monitor you would connect to the image would be screwed. You have an issue with either the cable going from your video card to lcd screen or the screen itself.

OP connect your macbook to an external monitor and go from there.

What ever works for you..

xSaiyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
I connected it to a monitor and it was working just fine. However I can't use the monitor all the time. I tried the resets and it hasn't changed. I'm starting to look towards paying to get it repaired but I don't have the warranty. Any estimates at how much money we're talking about to get it fixed?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I connected it to a monitor and it was working just fine. However I can't use the monitor all the time. I tried the resets and it hasn't changed. I'm starting to look towards paying to get it repaired but I don't have the warranty. Any estimates at how much money we're talking about to get it fixed?

Apple Geniuses can estimate very well...seriously, call them. Just asking questions is free.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Any estimates at how much money we're talking about to get it fixed?

I would take it in and just have them look at it. They will provide some kind of quote or estimate. You can try authorized service centers too if you want a second opinion. Hopefully you live close enough to an Apple Store or other authorized shop. Repairs don't tend to be cheap, but you're likely to feel a lot better once you get a real quote as opposed to anecdotes on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.