Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:13 AM   #1
MoodyM
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Swapping out hard drive - Time Machine vs Super Duper vs Carbon Copy

I'm about to swap out my 1TB Toshiba 5400rpm hard drive from my Mid-2010 17" MBP, and replace it with a brand new 750GB Seagate Momentus XT one.

I have a full Time Machine backup.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using Time Machine over, say, SuperDuper or CCC to migrate the drive across?
MoodyM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2
fhall1
macrumors 68020
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY State of mind
My advice would be to make sure you don't have more than 750GB used on your original 1TB drive....make a bootable clone using CCC, test that it'll boot and you're done.
__________________
2012 2.3GHz i7 Mini, 16GB RAM; 2009 2.93 GHz C2D iMac, 8GB RAM, GT120 GPU
1.83 GHz CD Mini, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD; 1.25 GHz 17" G4 iMac, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD
64GB Silver iPhone 5s, 64GB White iPad Air
fhall1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:00 PM   #3
jojoba
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
make a bootable clone using CCC, test that it'll boot and you're done.
I second this, the advantage over time machine being 'bootable'.
__________________
My flickr.
jojoba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:28 PM   #4
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816
 
phoenixsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Taking in account.....

only my personal experience, CCC performs faster and with less errors than TM. Again, that is my user experience.

__________________
Mac Pro 2012 3.06 Westmere version, 12 Core 64 GB RAM, 4 TB , iPhone 5 (black), Moto G 8 GB (black)
phoenixsan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:46 PM   #5
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcrobie View Post
I'm about to swap out my 1TB Toshiba 5400rpm hard drive from my Mid-2010 17" MBP, and replace it with a brand new 750GB Seagate Momentus XT one.

I have a full Time Machine backup.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using Time Machine over, say, SuperDuper or CCC to migrate the drive across?
I always use Disk Utility. Copies hard drives just fine.

You have three drives anyway: The old drive, the new drive, your Time Machine backup. (If you don't have a Time Machine backup, do that first). You could just restore from the Time Machine backup to check that your backup is fine. And worst case you always got the old hard drive.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:04 PM   #6
sbcole
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Migration Assistant

Here's what I did when swapped out my mid-2007 mbp HDD for a Seagate Momentus last year:

1) swap drives

2) put old drive in external SATA/USB. (They are very cheap to purchase.)

3) press option while turning your machine on, and boot from the external drive

4) install OSX

5) run migration assistant

The only problem I had was that MS Office wanted my serial number key, which I had somewhere.
sbcole is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7
aarond12
macrumors 6502a
 
aarond12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcole View Post
...run migration assistant...
I second that comment. It seems to make the smoothest transition. Just did a swap last week for the CEO's wife so it had to work smoothly.
__________________
Voted "Most likely to start his own cult" by my high school class.
aarond12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:15 AM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcrobie View Post
I'm about to swap out my 1TB Toshiba 5400rpm hard drive from my Mid-2010 17" MBP, and replace it with a brand new 750GB Seagate Momentus XT one.

I have a full Time Machine backup.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using Time Machine over, say, SuperDuper or CCC to migrate the drive across?
Here's a simple approach:
  1. Buy an external enclosure and put your old drive in it.
  2. Install your new drive in your Mac.
  3. Boot from your old (external) drive by holding the Option key on startup.
  4. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old (external) drive to the new (internal) drive.
    You can use version 3.5.1 ($40) or 3.4.7 (free, and works well on OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8).
  5. Boot from the new internal drive.
  6. Your now running on your new internal drive and your old drive is now an external drive, useful for backups or additional storage.
CCC will clone the entire drive, including the OS X recovery partition. SuperDuper won't. TM can't make a bootable clone at all.
GGJstudios is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Fishrrman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Here's but one more recommendation to use CCC and let T.M. be.

CCC will create a bootable, cloned backup that you can TEST -- BEFORE you go through the trouble of installing the drive.

And once you take the old drive out, you can use CCC to do incremental backups to your "old" drive. Best way to handle the old drive is to get a USB/SATA docking station, it will allow you to add/swap _other_ drives in/out of the dock, as well.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000
 
Ddyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Got a question on TM.

What exactly is "weekly backups for all previous months"?
I thought TM could only do hourly backups
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 03:36 PM   #11
Paulywauly
macrumors 6502a
 
Paulywauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Durham, UK
Another vote for CCC. It just makes more sense to create a bootable clone of the drive, then swap them. Simples
__________________
I admit it, i spend too much on products
Paulywauly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:34 PM   #12
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God
 
glenthompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
I'll add to the CCC votes. When I installed my SSD I used CCC to clone my drive to the SSD attached externally. I then booted form the external SSD to verify that it was ok. I then swapped the drives and put the old drive in my fire safe.
__________________
15" MBP (late 2011), iPhone 5
iPad Air, ATV3 Mac Pro 3,1
glenthompson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:20 AM   #13
fhall1
macrumors 68020
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY State of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
Got a question on TM.

What exactly is "weekly backups for all previous months"?
I thought TM could only do hourly backups
To save disk space, it keeps hourly backups until it acquires over a week's worth, then saves only one per day of the oldest "days", then once it has a few week's worth of daily backups starts saving one "weekly" backup and deletes the other older daily backups.
__________________
2012 2.3GHz i7 Mini, 16GB RAM; 2009 2.93 GHz C2D iMac, 8GB RAM, GT120 GPU
1.83 GHz CD Mini, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD; 1.25 GHz 17" G4 iMac, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD
64GB Silver iPhone 5s, 64GB White iPad Air
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:52 AM   #14
Thessman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: GR
CCC is all good and nice, but a new installation of the OS in combination with migration assistant lets you use a freshly installed system, if you don't mind the extra time it will need.
Thessman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000
 
Ddyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
To save disk space, it keeps hourly backups until it acquires over a week's worth, then saves only one per day of the oldest "days", then once it has a few week's worth of daily backups starts saving one "weekly" backup and deletes the other older daily backups.
Wow, that makes no sense. Yeah, definitely going for CCC.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:42 PM   #16
PDJ-SF
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Super Duper Works Well

I have used Super Duper to clone a number of drives as part of a replacement / upgrade of the HD in both laptop and desktop computers. The publisher provides clear instructions in the user guide. I highly recommend the program.
PDJ-SF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:53 AM   #17
fhall1
macrumors 68020
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY State of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
Wow, that makes no sense. Yeah, definitely going for CCC.
It does when you think about it.....you don't need hourly backups going back 6 months....or daily backups going back a year. Just wasting disk space. If you need to restore a file or folder from 6 months ago would any one from July 1st suffice or do you really need the one from July 1st at 9AM vs. the 10AM one?
__________________
2012 2.3GHz i7 Mini, 16GB RAM; 2009 2.93 GHz C2D iMac, 8GB RAM, GT120 GPU
1.83 GHz CD Mini, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD; 1.25 GHz 17" G4 iMac, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD
64GB Silver iPhone 5s, 64GB White iPad Air
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:06 PM   #18
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000
 
Ddyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
It does when you think about it.....you don't need hourly backups going back 6 months....or daily backups going back a year. Just wasting disk space. If you need to restore a file or folder from 6 months ago would any one from July 1st suffice or do you really need the one from July 1st at 9AM vs. the 10AM one?
No, that's not the problem. It's just not a weekly backup like it says, it saves hourly backups and then slows down and eventually saves a week worth. Don't like that.

I rather have it just update once a week and stay that way. Oh sure it's handy, but it sounds like it slows your system down.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:24 PM   #19
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyM View Post
Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using Time Machine over, say, SuperDuper or CCC to migrate the drive across?

CCC's GUI is not as polished as Time Machine, but I find it to be more reliable.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:56 AM   #20
fhall1
macrumors 68020
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY State of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
No, that's not the problem. It's just not a weekly backup like it says, it saves hourly backups and then slows down and eventually saves a week worth. Don't like that.

I rather have it just update once a week and stay that way. Oh sure it's handy, but it sounds like it slows your system down.
Actually, I use a utility (3rd party) called "Time Machine Editor" and set it to only do TM backups 4 times a day (6AM, 12PM, 6PM, 12AM) but you could set it to do once a day or once a week if you like. I've used it since OS X 10.5 days and it's been a great tool for those of us that don't need hourly backups.
__________________
2012 2.3GHz i7 Mini, 16GB RAM; 2009 2.93 GHz C2D iMac, 8GB RAM, GT120 GPU
1.83 GHz CD Mini, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD; 1.25 GHz 17" G4 iMac, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD
64GB Silver iPhone 5s, 64GB White iPad Air
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:15 AM   #21
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000
 
Ddyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
Actually, I use a utility (3rd party) called "Time Machine Editor" and set it to only do TM backups 4 times a day (6AM, 12PM, 6PM, 12AM) but you could set it to do once a day or once a week if you like. I've used it since OS X 10.5 days and it's been a great tool for those of us that don't need hourly backups.
I heard about it. Sounds like TimeMachineScheduler which is a hack. Rather not take the risk even if isn't. I don't trust it, because i also don't trust TM not to screw something up.

CCC is the way for me.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 05:17 PM   #22
aaw0701
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Transferring Data From HHD to SSD

I needed to get some help, assistance, and advice with this. I have just finished my install and upgrade. I removed my optical drive and put a SSD drive in its place. I have also installed a clean copy of mountain lion as well on the SSD drive.

Q. What is the best and cleanest way to to get all of my information over from the HHD to the SSD?
Q. I really also need third party application to come over as well.

1. Restore lastest backup from time machine
2. Use Migration Assistant
3. Use Carbon Copy Cloner - I already know my parallels/windows virtual machine will not transfer over using this option.
aaw0701 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 07:10 PM   #23
cledet
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
I never used CCC but I'm a heavy SuperDuper! user. I create bi-monthly bootable backups to a dedicated internal hard drive. I also use Time Machine for incremental backups just in case I need a file or directory from a different time period.

If you're swapping hard drives, I recommend using SuperDuper! (or CCC) over Time Machine. It works great and everything will be just as it was.
__________________
27'' iMac with Retina 5K display 4.0GHz i7, 512GB SSD, 24GB RAM, R9 M290X  iPad Mini 2 16GB  iPhone 6 128GB
cledet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:36 PM   #24
Weaselboy
macrumors P6
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaw0701 View Post
I needed to get some help, assistance, and advice with this. I have just finished my install and upgrade. I removed my optical drive and put a SSD drive in its place. I have also installed a clean copy of mountain lion as well on the SSD drive.

Q. What is the best and cleanest way to to get all of my information over from the HHD to the SSD?
Q. I really also need third party application to come over as well.

1. Restore lastest backup from time machine
2. Use Migration Assistant
3. Use Carbon Copy Cloner - I already know my parallels/windows virtual machine will not transfer over using this option.
Since you have already installed the OS, there is no reason to recopy the entire OS over again, so just use Migration Assistant to move your data and apps over.

Make sure you have not already created the account you intend to import though as this makes a mess. If you have, create a temp admin account then delete the account you created and run MA from within the temp account. Once the import is done login to your real account and delete the temp account.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:38 PM   #25
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledet View Post
If you're swapping hard drives, I recommend using SuperDuper! (or CCC) over Time Machine. It works great and everything will be just as it was.
The one drawback to using SuperDuper! is that it will not clone the recovery partition, whereas CCC will.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carbon Copy Cloner vs. Super Duper-Which is better? kapalua12 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 106 Aug 31, 2014 03:52 PM
Carbon Copy Cloner Vs. Time Machine ghsNick Mac Applications and Mac App Store 41 Nov 28, 2013 11:18 AM
Carbon Copy vs Time Machine stockcerts Mac Applications and Mac App Store 23 Jan 6, 2013 11:29 AM
Time machine & Carbon Copy Oldmanmac Mac Applications and Mac App Store 11 Oct 28, 2012 02:23 PM
How to copy time machine backup to a second external hard drive? rg1980 Mac Basics and Help 1 Jul 7, 2012 09:53 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC