Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Maps Updated in Japan With Bug Fixes and Enhancements




Apple has silently updated its Maps app in Japan after announcing similar changes in the first beta of iOS 6.1.1 back in the beginning of February. It appears that for many of the changes, Apple didn't need to expressly update the operating system and could instead implement changes server-side. The changes were first noted by Mac Otakara, via 9to5Mac.

The iOS 6.1.1 beta became iOS 6.1.3 after Apple released a pair of emergency bug fixes as version 6.1.1 and 6.1.2. From the original iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 release notes:
Quote:
iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 includes the following improvements to Maps for Japan:

- Improved pronunciation of roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- Optimized directions to more strongly prefer highways over narrower roads
- Now indicates upcoming toll roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- Added labels for junctions, interchanges, on-ramps, off-ramps, and intersections
- Added indicators for transit station buildings, subway lines, and traffic lights
- Updated freeway color to green
- Updated icons for some location categories including fire stations, hospitals, and post offices Added 3D buildings including Tokyo Station, Japan Imperial Palace, and Tokyo Tower
Article Link: Apple Maps Updated in Japan With Bug Fixes and Enhancements
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:42 PM   #2
lukasz74nj
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Give us an option to configure the default map application

Nobody enjoys getting lost when driving and reportedly some people almost died when using the built-in map application in Australia. So why not let users choose the default map application for iOS, i.e. Google Maps which is far better then Apple's counterpart?
lukasz74nj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:46 PM   #3
mdorais
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Does anyone know why the freeway color was changed to green for Japan? Seems kind of random to me.
mdorais is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:46 PM   #4
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Glad to see things are improving. Always nice to have a bit of good news.
UnfetteredMind is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:56 PM   #5
jwm
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfetteredMind View Post
Glad to see things are improving. Always nice to have a bit of good news.
Amen to that!
jwm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:12 PM   #6
newagemac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasz74nj View Post
Nobody enjoys getting lost when driving and reportedly some people almost died when using the built-in map application in Australia. So why not let users choose the default map application for iOS, i.e. Google Maps which is far better then Apple's counterpart?
Not sure what your point is. Lots and lots of people have gotten lost using Google Maps and pretty much any other map. In fact, a few months ago police in Australia warned tourists about using Google Maps because Google Maps was putting people in serious danger.

In any case Google Maps is also pretty bad here compared to Apple Maps. And in China Google Maps is absolutely terrible. So no it isn't "better" than Apple Maps per se. Just like cell phone service and other location based services, it depends on where you live which data is better.

However, concerning the App itself, Apple Maps beats Google hands down. It's not even a contest. Especially with the turn by turn navigation. But sure, the places where Google Maps does a better job it would be nice for those people to use it as a default.
newagemac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:01 PM   #7
cfc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdorais View Post
Does anyone know why the freeway color was changed to green for Japan? Seems kind of random to me.
I assume because that's the colour the Japanese use for freeways, which seems perfectly reasonable.

Here in the UK we show our motorways in blue, and main roads in green or red, but Apple seem to think that it makes sense to show all multi-lane roads in yellow and everything else in grey. It's amazing how different a map of an area that you know looks when it's drawn in unfamiliar colours. It's not as if you just have to remember that motorways are yellow because some non-motorways are also yellow if they have more than one lane. Very confusing.

It was the first thing I noticed in the first beta of iOS6, but I assumed it would be one of the first (of many) things that they would fix. It seemed such an easy thing to change for such a massive win in terms of making the maps more useful to the people who actually use them. The only reason I came up with for not doing it was because they liked the look of the yellowy colour scheme, but I hoped not because that would have been going for form over function (which Apple have quite a bit of "form" for).

I even mentioned it again during the beta testing in an email to whoever checks Tim Cook's inbox entitled "Potential PR Disaster" as one of the many reasons why non-US users would hate Apple maps and why they should hold fire on releasing it.

Hopefully this means that the UK will be getting the "proper" colours soon as well. Although I suspect that green fits into the general colour scheme and that blue and red may not. I hope that I'm wrong though.
cfc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:08 PM   #8
coder12
macrumors 6502a
 
coder12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fargo, ND: The greatest city on Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasz74nj View Post
Nobody enjoys getting lost when driving and reportedly some people almost died when using the built-in map application in Australia. So why not let users choose the default map application for iOS, i.e. Google Maps which is far better then Apple's counterpart?
Google Maps being better is a point of opinion, not fact. Every time I've had an issue with Apple's maps, I've often seen the same issue with Google's, but obviously, mileage will vary depending on use.

Also, the Australian incident wasn't just Apple, it happened to Google too.
__________________
Just plain nuts!
coder12 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:23 PM   #9
iSunrise
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
I still prefer Google Maps by far. Google´s maps look a lot more detailed and easy to read, while the Apple maps look extremely messy.
iSunrise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:20 PM   #10
mdorais
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfc View Post
I assume because that's the colour the Japanese use for freeways, which seems perfectly reasonable.

Here in the UK we show our motorways in blue, and main roads in green or red, but Apple seem to think that it makes sense to show all multi-lane roads in yellow and everything else in grey. It's amazing how different a map of an area that you know looks when it's drawn in unfamiliar colours. It's not as if you just have to remember that motorways are yellow because some non-motorways are also yellow if they have more than one lane. Very confusing.

It was the first thing I noticed in the first beta of iOS6, but I assumed it would be one of the first (of many) things that they would fix. It seemed such an easy thing to change for such a massive win in terms of making the maps more useful to the people who actually use them. The only reason I came up with for not doing it was because they liked the look of the yellowy colour scheme, but I hoped not because that would have been going for form over function (which Apple have quite a bit of "form" for).

I even mentioned it again during the beta testing in an email to whoever checks Tim Cook's inbox entitled "Potential PR Disaster" as one of the many reasons why non-US users would hate Apple maps and why they should hold fire on releasing it.

Hopefully this means that the UK will be getting the "proper" colours soon as well. Although I suspect that green fits into the general colour scheme and that blue and red may not. I hope that I'm wrong though.
Yeah I did notice after posting that Google and Bing maps use green for Japanese freeways. Strangely, Bing uses a purplish pink color for US freeways. Meh, whatever works.
mdorais is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:49 PM   #11
a0me
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Happy to hear that Apple is trying to fix things but that won't make me update to iOS 6.
From the screenshot I can tell that they've made a bad UI choice (district names are in English but road names are in Japanese) and they're using crappy fonts.
__________________
iMac 24"; MacBook Pro 15"; iPhone 4; iPhone 5s; iPod touch; tv
a0me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:29 PM   #12
BlueParadox
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Not seeing any 3D rendering of the said locations in Tokyo (iPhone 5). Funny how it works for some but not for others
BlueParadox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:56 PM   #13
carlgo
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
There must be an untold story as to why Apple Maps was released before it was ready. Surely some Apple employees knew. Were they afraid to speak up? Was it the decision of somebody that over-ruled others? Was it a Jobs thing that was in the works and could not be stopped?
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:52 AM   #14
nervouk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: tokyo
Good, good. Already gone is the fictional subway station that old Apple Maps insisted was right under my apartment, and my real-life station is no longer in the middle of Tokyo Bay. There's two improvements for starters.

I'll test this around town for a couple more days before deciding whether I should trust it for anything critical or not.
nervouk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:05 PM   #15
Consultant
macrumors G5
 
Consultant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasz74nj View Post
Nobody enjoys getting lost when driving and reportedly some people almost died when using the built-in map application in Australia. So why not let users choose the default map application for iOS, i.e. Google Maps which is far better then Apple's counterpart?
The problem is australian police declared that Google Maps is dangerous too:
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/12/...ers-in-danger/
Consultant is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Updates Logic Pro X with Bug Fixes, Stability Enhancements MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 71 Aug 19, 2013 04:06 PM
Aperture and iPhoto Updated with Performance Enhancements and Bug Fixes MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 61 Apr 24, 2013 02:54 AM
Apple Releases iOS 6.1.3 With Passcode Bug Fix and Japanese Maps Enhancements, Kills Evasi0n Jailbreak MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 253 Mar 27, 2013 12:20 AM
Apple TV Software Updated to Version 5.2.1 with Bug Fixes, Hulu Redesign MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 155 Mar 24, 2013 03:45 PM
iMovie for iOS Updated with Stability Enhancements and Bug Fixes MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 10 Feb 14, 2013 06:17 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC