Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dexum175

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
United States
Hello, I have a rMBP with 8gb of RAM. I want to upgrade to 16gb of RAM but when I go on crucial.com there are no options available to me. Is it possible to upgrade the RAM? I have the 15 inch 2.6ghz mid 2012 rMBP. Help?

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hello, I have a rMBP with 8gb of RAM. I want to upgrade to 16gb of RAM but when I go on crucial.com there are no options available to me. Is it possible to upgrade the RAM? I have the 15 inch 2.6ghz mid 2012 rMBP. Help?

Sorry, the rMBP is NOT upgrade-able. The only way to get 16GB RAM is to sell the machine and buy one with 16GB RAM.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
pretty much any ultrabook you buy will not be user servicable. they are all sealed so you need to buy what you need when you buy it. If youre still in your return period exchange it. if not then youll have to sell it, which shouldnt be too hard. good luck

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Really?? D:

Yes, really.

pretty much any ultrabook you buy will not be user servicable. they are all sealed so you need to buy what you need when you buy it. If youre still in your return period exchange it. if not then youll have to sell it, which shouldnt be too hard. good luck

Many ultrabooks are upgradeable and the rMBP is not an ultrabook. Please don't misuse the term.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
The memory for MacBook Airs and MacBook Pro Retinas is soldered on to the logic board and is not upgradable... What you buy is what you get.

Handsome Bacon

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
LOL sorry but this question made me laugh. Have fun buying another computer for what would have been a simple $75 upgrade on the regular MBP.

But that screen sure is purdy ain't it?

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Welcome to the future OP - iMacs need to be soooo thin they can't have an optical disk drive, laptops have to use odd sized SSDs and non-upgradable RAM, etc...

Sorry that you were not aware of this when you purchased. That should be stated as the 1st thing in the store, or an "I Agree" checkbox on the site when ordering these things.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Yes, really.

Many ultrabooks are upgradeable and the rMBP is not an ultrabook. Please don't misuse the term.

definition of ultrabook

Ultrabooks are designed to feature reduced bulk without compromising performance and battery life. They use low-power Intel Core processors, solid-state drives, and unibody chassis to help meet these criteria.[2] Due to their limited size, they typically omit common laptop features such as optical disc drives and Ethernet ports.

and please name me more than one ultrabook that has upgradable ram. most in fact ONLY offer 4-8. jeez, some people here are so defensive for no reason.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
and please name me more than one ultrabook that has upgradable ram

Asus Zenbook UX32 and Vivobook S400. Toshiba U845/945. Samsung Series 5. HP Envy Sleekbook.

While the upgrades are not easy unless you're technically savvy, they can be done.

Also, the fact that Retina MacBook Pros use full-voltage dual- and quad-core CPUs disqualifies them from being designated as an ultrabook.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
i went to the first on your list to see if you were right and read on its review..

Atypical for ultrabooks, the Asus UX32VD allows access with correct tools...

then realized if the first on your list actually answers it for me this is a fools errand.

i dont feel like arguing this with you tit for tat. i feel like were arguing over whether the ipad is a "phablet" because it can make phone calls. ridiculous. and your 5 or 6 ultrabooks you named can be countered with 100 more that arent servicable, its all relative. im sorry i onlyy asked for one, but i hoped youd get my point. if it makes you feel better, youre right and im wrong, okay?

im simply trying to inform the OP that the majority of thin, low profile laptops have soldered ram. have to go to work. have an awesome day

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
i went to the first on your list to see if you were right and read on its review..

then realized if the first on your list actually answers it for me this is a fools errand.

i dont feel like arguing this with you tit for tat. i feel like were arguing over whether the ipad is a "phablet" because it can make phone calls. ridiculous. and your 5 or 6 ultrabooks you named can be countered with 100 more that arent servicable, its all relative. im sorry i onlyy asked for one, but i hoped youd get my point. if it makes you feel better, youre right and im wrong, okay?

im simply trying to inform the OP that the majority of thin, low profile laptops have soldered ram. have to go to work. have an awesome day

And you accuse other people of being defensive. LOL

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Really?? D:

Unfortunately, yes.

LOL sorry but this question made me laugh. Have fun buying another computer for what would have been a simple $75 upgrade on the regular MBP.

Insulting/taunting the OP isn't going to help his case and I'm sure he doesn't appreciate it.

Welcome to the future OP - iMacs need to be soooo thin they can't have an optical disk drive, laptops have to use odd sized SSDs and non-upgradable RAM, etc...

Sorry that you were not aware of this when you purchased. That should be stated as the 1st thing in the store, or an "I Agree" checkbox on the site when ordering these things.

I agree. It's unfortunate that the OP wasn't aware of this.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
And you accuse other people of being defensive. LOL

sorry dude, but the first ultra book you pointed me too, in an attempt to show "many ultrabooks are upgradable" says its "atypical" for ultrabooks to be upgradable. thats not defensive, its called logic. you know it so you resort to trying to rile me up by calling me defensive. not working. now if people like you stopped telling people like the OP that "many ultrabooks are upgradable" we wouldnt be in this thread.

at least you and i have one thing in common, i like to get in the last word too ;)

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
sorry dude, but the first ultra book you pointed me too, in an attempt to show "many ultrabooks are upgradable" says its "atypical" for ultrabooks to be upgradable. thats not defensive, its called logic. you know it so you resort to trying to rile me up by calling me defensive. not working. now if people like you stopped telling people like the OP that "many ultrabooks are upgradable" we wouldnt be in this thread.

at least you and i have one thing in common, i like to get in the last word too ;)

Man, the MacBook Pro Retina is not an ultrabook... Get over it.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Not sure if OP is serious. I mean, unless he got it as a graduation gift or $3,000 is a drop in the bucket for him. Otherwise how can you explain not knowing the RAM isn't expandable? It's a $3,000 notebook, you HAVE to know things like you can't increase the RAM before you buy it.

And since this is a Mac forum I'd be remiss to give Microsoft a flyer on this same issue. The Surface "Pro" also has soldered memory. In the same token imagine buying a 4GB SP, that could also be cause for severe buyer's remorse.

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
Insulting/taunting the OP isn't going to help his case and I'm sure he doesn't appreciate it.

The question is phrased comically. And the OP is most likely a troll. Who buys a $2000 computer and even thinks to upgrade the RAM before checking to see if the computer is user upgradeable. I think I typed that right. Anyway, then come on MacRumors to post said question when the info one google search away.

U a troll 2? I get it. LULZ!

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Only the RAM isn't. The SSD can be upgraded.

Somewhat true. You have to upgrade the SSD from a certain manufacturer.

The question is phrased comically. And the OP is most likely a troll. Who buys a $2000 computer and even thinks to upgrade the RAM before checking to see if the computer is user upgradeable. I think I typed that right. Anyway, then come on MacRumors to post said question when the info one google search away.

U a troll 2? I get it. LULZ!

First, calling someone a troll is against the rules.

Second, that's not up to us to decide. If a moderator felt that the post doesn't belong, then they would delete it/move to to the wasteland.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011

Your contribution to this thread and this site is beyond measure:rolleyes:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Ultrabook is a unviersally used term meaning thin, light computer. Sure the term specifically refers to a windows based machine that is thin/light but it's Kinda like "hey, want a coke? Yeah, what kind". Or how we call all facial tissue Kleenex so relax there sparky.

----------

Why hate? Ohhhhh I see get it now.

if it makes you feel better, youre right and im wrong, okay? im simply trying to inform the OP that the majority of thin, low profile laptops have soldered ram. have to go to work. have an awesome day

LoL guy is funny, I'm with ya calling it an ultrabook. A generic term upset the guy.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
Ultrabook is a unviersally used term meaning thin, light computer. Sure the term specifically refers to a windows based machine that is thin/light but it's Kinda like "hey, want a coke? Yeah, what kind". Or how we call all facial tissue Kleenex so relax there sparky.

One of the key defining feature of an "ultrabook" is their use of low-power processors.

To use your own analogy, it's like someone asking you for a coke and you give them a coffee, or you asking for a kleenex and someone gives you a J Cloth... Not even in the same league.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
talk about missing the point.. completely.. get WITH it..

Talk about crapping in some poor dude's thread with irrelevant BS no one cares about.

OP: If you NEED 16 GB you have no choice but to re-purchase/exchange/trade-up/etc.

If you don't NEED 16 GB right now it may make sense to hold off for the refresh.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Somewhat true. You have to upgrade the SSD from a certain manufacturer.

First, calling someone a troll is against the rules.

Second, that's not up to us to decide. If a moderator felt that the post doesn't belong, then they would delete it/move to to the wasteland.

It's not some what true, it's true lol.

Samsung, SanDisk and OWC Makes SSDs that fit. Just because tons of manufacturers don't make SSDs for doesn't make it "somewhat" or "partially" true. It's true, literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.