Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
The lightning cord with the ipad mini is so flimsy it is going to break for anyone.

Where the connector attaches to the cord becomes loose with any amount of regular use. For me it only took two months.

I had it replaced with a new cord and already within one day that one is screwed up.

My cat likes to sometimes attack furniture or cords. I saw her attack the ipad mini cord and en when I looked at it there were two holes all the way through the plastic! I own dozens of different cords, apple devices etc. this is the first time a cat has managed to bite through a cord! The plastic is so soft it's a joke never mind how stupidly thin it is.

I need to buy a third party cable now. What a joke eh?!

I already had to exchange two ipad mini wifis that didnt work before I decided to upgrade to LTE so I could get a decent wifi signal reception. I don't regret the purchase but I will definitely be regretting having paid full price for a new product that nonetheless was so flimsy and defective that parts on it are no better than used.

For anyone doubting how soft the plastic on the cord is, just test it yourself. Even the connector which is supposed to be hard plastic is immediately scratched.

I'm currently fixing it up by wrapping fully with white duct tape. Apple, maybe you could get your Chinese
workers to wrap the by hand until you figure out how to use better materials!!?!

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
"My cat attacked the cord, it broke, and now I'm blaming the quality of the cable."

I'm sorry, but the lightning cables are actually the strongest cables Apple have ever produced - they're actually incredibly difficult to break. Maybe you should just buy your cat some proper toys, instead of giving it £25 cables to play with.

before I decided to upgrade to LTE so I could get a decent wifi signal reception

Yeah, because LTE really improves Wi-Fi reception.

I need to buy a third party cable now. What a joke eh?!

Yep, it's actually quite a funny joke. Enjoy your inferior third party cable.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
"My cat attacked the cord, it broke, and now I'm blaming the quality of the cable."

I'm sorry, but the lightning cables are actually the strongest cables Apple have ever produced - they're actually incredibly difficult to break. Maybe you should just buy your cat some proper toys, instead of giving it £25 cables to play with.

Enjoy your inferior third party cable.
You might not have received the memo yet, but Apple licenses Lightning, and there are certified third-party cables: For example AmazonBasics, Griffin, Belkin, as well as Monoprice.

Most of them are indeed stronger than the Apple one, using a cable material akin to regular USB cables:
31mENNrgjfL.jpg

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
You might not have received the memo yet, but Apple licenses Lightning, and there are certified third-party cables: For example AmazonBasics, Griffin, Belkin, as well as Monoprice.

Most of them are indeed stronger than the Apple one, using a cable material akin to regular USB cables:
31mENNrgjfL.jpg

Thanks, I will also prefer to have a black one like the one you show! Ill pick one up soon, in the mean time I have the most pos duct taped up cable but it is at least sturdy now.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008

Yeah, because LTE really improves Wi-Fi reception.

False, every time I go into the mall to the Apple store there are a bunch of displays with broken Lightning cables. Lightning cables are like micro USB cables, small and flimsy.

As for the LTE version having better WI-FI reception, I can see it if the wifi antennas are at the top near the plastic insert.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Lightning cables are like micro USB cables, small and flimsy.

Have you ever seen a microUSB connector? Doesn't seem like it, as the only thing those two have in common is the size. They're based on completely different build concepts

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Have you ever seen a microUSB connector? Doesn't seem like it, as the only thing those two have in common is the size. They're based on completely different build concepts

Are you stupid? They are both small USB connectors and they are BOTH fragile.

Randomguy77

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Actually the griffin cable broke after a month and i took very good care of it but for some reason its starting to get black spots on the lighting tip

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Mine just broke. It's my first cable made by Apple to ever break. I am pretty amazed that it actually broke.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

31mENNrgjfL.jpg

I have the Amazon Basics cable. It is less expensive than the Apple cable and indeed it is thicker and sturdier. I do like it a lot.

However, because it is thicker it won't plug in through the lightning hole in several iPad cases, including the Amazon Basics iPad case (which should be a bit embarrassing to Amazon). So if you use a case, I'd check to ensure there is sufficient clearance around the lightning port before buying one of these cables.

I also have a few unauthorized cables that are remarkably cheap, like around $4, from fasttech. These are definitely flimsier than even the Apple cables, but they work fine for me. Admittedly I only use them for charging and have never tried to sync over them.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
My iphoe 5 lightning cable broke after 8 months use, despite me taking extreme care with it, it started showing early signs of wear, the bunching effect. I ended up buying an Amazon basics, which looks to be made of more durable materials.

I just wish the cable was longer!

hamyza

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2017
Actually you are wrong, I don't have any pets and I am the only one who uses my chargers and the original lightning cord wire ripped, I bought another one and It snapped in less than a year later

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.