Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Hi guys!

I just got from a friend a huge 52 inch back projection CRT TV. Since it's old, it comes with no HMDI or any other kind of digital input.

I was wondering if I can simply use a cable (with no box converter in the middle) to connect my Mac's mini-DVI to the TV via 3RCA (composite) cable or component cable?

The mini-DVI port sends analog, digital or both signals?

I have here with me a mini-DVI to HDMI converter from Apple and I was hopping to just get a HDMI to 3RCA (composite) cable or component, which would carry an analog signal to the TV.

Thank for the help. Cheers!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Maybe this can help:

PS: You have a Mini DisplayPort not a Mini DVI port. And Composite is a yellow RCA plug, 3 RCA plugs are either Composite (yellow) and stereo analog audio (black/white and red) or Component (green, blue, red).

Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"
Mini DVI
Mini DVI is a digital common interface on the later G4 12" PowerBook, on Intel iMacs till 2009 and on the white and black pre-Unibody MacBooks and on Intel Mac minis before they changed the design to Unibody.
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DVI.png
Mini DVI adapters can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "Mini DVI, what it is and how to capture it"

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Thought it was a mini-DVI. But now I know the difference. Thank you.

What I'm not getting is if this MDP sends analog or digital signal?

If it sends analog, then a simple cable that converts the connections from HDMI to 5 RCA would do it, right?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thought it was a mini-DVI. But now I know the difference. Thank you.

What I'm not getting is if this MDP sends analog or digital signal?

If it sends analog, then a simple cable that converts the connections from HDMI to 5 RCA would do it, right?

See the first, big link on how to use MDP and Composite or Component. And what is it, 3 RCA or 5 RCA? Anyway, the first big link shows you what to use, and yes, MDP can send analog and digital signals, but there is no MDP to RCA adapter as far as I know, only a quite expensive one I found on Amazon via "mdp to composite".

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Ah I saw it now! Thanks!

So for a unibody macbook I need a MDP to VGA adapter (which Apple doesn't sell anymore apparently) and then a VGA to 5 RCA adapter. Right?

Then for the audio I can user a 3.5mm jack to RCA.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ah I saw it now! Thanks!

So for a unibody macbook I need a MDP to VGA adapter (which Apple doesn't sell anymore apparently) and then a VGA to 5 RCA adapter. Right?

Then for the audio I can user a 3.5mm jack to RCA.

For the audio you are correct, for the video too, you can get an MDP to VGA adapter via Monoprice (first quote in post #2). As I still do not know, what you mean with 3 RCA or 5 RCA, I cannot help you there. Do you know, if you have Component or Composite?

Component video
Component video, also known as RGB Video, is a common video input found on TVs and is an analog interface to transmit video in three signals and can be used for SD (PAL and NTSC) and HD (720p, 1080i and 1080p) video.
Component transmits a better signal than S-Video and Composite video, but uses the same RCA plug and port form factor.
MR_video_out_TV_Component.png
Component video cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "A Guide to Component Connections and Cables"

S-Video (Separate Video or Y/C)
S-Video is a very common video input found on TVs and VCRs and also on computers (desktops and notebooks) as a video output to connect to a TV.
The 4-pin DIN connector is the most widespread one, but there are 7-pin DIN connectors used too. The 7-pin DIN connector does not have superior image quality, it just carries both the Y/C and Composite signal.
MR_video_out_TV_S-Video.png
S-Video cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "A Guide to the S-Video Cable and Connector"

Composite video
Composite is a very common video input found on TVs and VCRs and can also be found on some graphic cards to connect to a TV.
Composite video uses an RCA connector and is sold as cable with a yellow plug, though one can use the red, black or white RCA plugs, used for audio, too.
MR_video_out_TV_Composite.png
Composite video cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "Composite Video Signal - the Cable and Connection Explained"

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
3RCA is composite and 5RCA is component.

I am still not sure if the TV has component but I do think it has. Since that's the best connection for a better quality I will take that one.

OK.

Then its simple:

For video: MDP -> VGA + VGA -> Component
For audio: 3.5mm jack -> RCA

Since this is an old TV, it has no digital inputs. But I guess with this setup it will all be analog signals and should work fine.

Thanks!!

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I do not have the TV with me yet, maybe later today or tomorrow.

I'll let you know. Thanks!

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I haven't picked up the TV yet (will do tonight) but I got a photo from the back.

This is a Component connection, correct?

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Great! Then I'll pick up this little monster tonight and I'm going to order the cables as well!

Thank you all for the great help!

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I skipped the 52'' FAT TV. It was way too big, wouldn't fit in my car.

So I won't be needing this cable arrangement.

Although I have another question since I just picked up a Sharp Aquos 42'' LCD for a very nice price.

One of the HDMI ports on the back has a 3.5mm sound socket. Is this an audio in? A 3.5mm cable M/M will be enough to bring sound from my MacBook to the LCD?

EDIT: And is it possible to have a full screen movie playing on the LCD and still be able to use the MacBook screen for something else? Because when I enter full screen on the LCD, my MacBook display turns black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.