Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:32 AM   #1
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
How do some Apple products get scratched before they're sold

I thought factories take extra care not to scratch new products and they're packed tightly around protective foam for transit. So how do some units still get scratched, dented Etc
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:36 AM   #2
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 68000
 
T'hain Esh Kelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Denmark
Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
The phones are made by humans, not magical unicorns. What would you expect?
__________________
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
T'hain Esh Kelch is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:51 AM   #3
sagar4995
macrumors 6502a
 
sagar4995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, UAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
The phones are made by humans, not magical unicorns. What would you expect?
lollllll
__________________
iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.2
iPhone 4S iOS 7.0.2 (wife's)
MacBook 13" Mid 2010
Instagram ID - SagarChablani
sagar4995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:58 AM   #4
johnpeter91
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
What a answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
The phones are made by humans, not magical unicorns. What would you expect?
I like your i.q level
johnpeter91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:11 AM   #5
MrMacMack
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
When you purchase eyeglasses they don't come scratched, so why should an iPhone or better yet a display on a MacBook.
MrMacMack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:23 AM   #6
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020
 
aziatiklover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacMack View Post
When you purchase eyeglasses they don't come scratched, so why should an iPhone or better yet a display on a MacBook.
Because gucci and co dont produce millions of eyeglasses per day!
__________________
ppleholic
aziatiklover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:27 AM   #7
MrMacMack
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Okay so I guess once a company gets to be a big producer, it's okay to degrade quality. Well, I guess so, McDonalds would be a great example of a company that produces a terrible product that people keep going back to buy.
MrMacMack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:36 AM   #8
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020
 
aziatiklover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacMack View Post
Okay so I guess once a company gets to be a big producer, it's okay to degrade quality. Well, I guess so, McDonalds would be a great example of a company that produces a terrible product that people keep going back to buy.
No body is perfects. You expect too much from a product that is assemblied by human and not android.
__________________
ppleholic

Last edited by aziatiklover; Mar 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
aziatiklover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Kilamite
macrumors G3
 
Kilamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
I thought factories take extra care not to scratch new products and they're packed tightly around protective foam for transit. So how do some units still get scratched, dented Etc
You should YouTube these factories and see for yourself.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2GHz i7 8GB 750GB Hybrid | Mac mini 2.3GHz i7 16GB 1TB Fusion | OS X 10.10
iPhone 5 64GB | Apple TV 3 1080p | iOS 8
Home Theatre Hackintosh i3 3.5GHz 4GB 3TB | OS X 10.9
Kilamite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:19 PM   #10
MrMacMack
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I hear and read news stories about it all the time. Kinda terrible if you asked me.
MrMacMack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:32 PM   #11
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816
 
bobfitz14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacMack View Post
I hear and read news stories about it all the time. Kinda terrible if you asked me.
A significant portion of my friends at college have either an iPhone/iPod or both an iPhone/iPod and a Mac computer and I have never ever heard a story about a brand new product being scratched/dented/etc.

Of course, if it were to happen I'd expect a free replacement if the damage was bad enough.
__________________
2012 MBP 15" {2.3GHz i7, 10GB, 500GB} iPhone 5S {VZW, 16GB, space gray}
Retired: 2010 MBP 13" {2.4GHz C2D} -- iPhone 5 64GB -- iPhone 4S 64GB -- iPod Touch 32GB -- iPod Video 30GB
bobfitz14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:27 PM   #12
MrMacMack
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfitz14 View Post
A significant portion of my friends at college have either an iPhone/iPod or both an iPhone/iPod and a Mac computer and I have never ever heard a story about a brand new product being scratched/dented/etc.

Of course, if it were to happen I'd expect a free replacement if the damage was bad enough.
My quote was in response to this:

Quote:
You should YouTube these factories and see for yourself.
I agree with what you are saying... For the prices, I expect nothing less than the best.
MrMacMack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:40 PM   #13
Kilamite
macrumors G3
 
Kilamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacMack View Post
I agree with what you are saying... For the prices, I expect nothing less than the best.
It's impossible for anything on the production line to be 100% perfect. Things get scratched after being used anyway.

I'm very fussy about the quality of my display - anything less than 99.9% perfect then I will ask for an exchange.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2GHz i7 8GB 750GB Hybrid | Mac mini 2.3GHz i7 16GB 1TB Fusion | OS X 10.10
iPhone 5 64GB | Apple TV 3 1080p | iOS 8
Home Theatre Hackintosh i3 3.5GHz 4GB 3TB | OS X 10.9
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:45 PM   #14
MuddyPaws1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfitz14 View Post
A significant portion of my friends at college have either an iPhone/iPod or both an iPhone/iPod and a Mac computer and I have never ever heard a story about a brand new product being scratched/dented/etc.

Of course, if it were to happen I'd expect a free replacement if the damage was bad enough.
I guess you didn't read any of the posts or se any of the pictures after the iP5 launch then.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 02:13 PM   #15
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816
 
bobfitz14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
I guess you didn't read any of the posts or se any of the pictures after the iP5 launch then.
You're right I actually didn't. I'm spotty with visiting the forums and wasn't aware that it was so prevalent with the iPhone 5.
__________________
2012 MBP 15" {2.3GHz i7, 10GB, 500GB} iPhone 5S {VZW, 16GB, space gray}
Retired: 2010 MBP 13" {2.4GHz C2D} -- iPhone 5 64GB -- iPhone 4S 64GB -- iPod Touch 32GB -- iPod Video 30GB
bobfitz14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Sold More Macs and iDevices Than All Windows PCs Sold in Holiday Quarter MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 214 Mar 4, 2014 08:35 PM
One-of-a-Kind Products Designed by Jony Ive and Designer Marc Newson Sold Off at (RED) Auction MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 216 Dec 3, 2013 08:15 PM
Pleasant experience at the Apple store today. (regarding scratched phone) MMM.PWR iPhone 2 Sep 22, 2012 11:16 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC