Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grumpythedwarff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Hi,

I'm looking for a NAS drive that connects to my existing wireless network via 802.11n. It cannot connect via ethernet or USB to any other device as I want it to be in the loft where it is unlikely to be stolen in the event of a burglary.

I thought something like this would be easy to find, but I can only find drives that either plug directly into a router or that are routers themselves (like a time capsule). I don't want to have to go through the pain of building and maintaining a custom file server, but it would appear this is currently my only option.

Could anyone suggest any relevant products that would help me? All I really want is an HDD with a wireless interface rather than USB or Ethernet...

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
or you could get a NAS with wired etherent and an airport express (or something similar) to connect it to your wireless network.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
or you could get a NAS with wired etherent and an airport express (or something similar) to connect it to your wireless network.

This is what I do. Since a NAS has to be plugged into a router, my airport extreme allows my computers to connect wirelessly to the net and to the NAS. Speeds are down quite a bit when I connect to my Qnap wirelessly as opposed to gigabit ethernet but that's to be expected.

grumpythedwarff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
The synology is the sort of thing I am after, but its far too expensive.
The gaming adapter could work, but would need to be an 802.11n version.
It seems to me that there is simply a gap in the market here...

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos

What sort of NAS do you want and how much do you want to spend ?
If you could have a wireless connected USB drive in the attic would that suffice ?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate

I actually think it's pretty cheap for what it offers. Sure it's not a single-disk, single purpose device and that's what makes it cost more.

There are other, dumber, options out there:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-301932EK-Wireless-Space-1TB/dp/B0041HSCLM for example.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you can get a refurb airport express for $69 from apple.

it's got wireless N,
and if you wanted since it will be in the ceiling, you could mount an amp and some ceiling mount speakers close to it, and have it do double duty.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Plenty of 802.11n gaming adapters out there. I don't see it as a gap in the market; quite the opposite. By limiting yourself to only NAS devices with built-in wireless (rather than just using an adapter) you're excluding a ton of good products with features you may not get if you focus on only solutions with integrated wifi.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The single bay Synology like the DS112j supports a handful of USB WiFi adapters.

Another faster option might be a pair Ethernet over power adapters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.