Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyshop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
I have Aperture & Photoshop CS5 and a trail version of Lightroom. In both Aperture or Photoshop when going to print, the screen gives you a preview of your image to do your printer settings and as well color management tools for allowing Photoshop to manage your print profiles or use the printer management. In Lightroom there is no preview or options for color management.

Does anyone have any clues as to why? I know the story of Steve Jobs love hate relationship with Adobe and he would not allow flash player to be used on the iPad. Was there similar issues with Aperture and Lightroom?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I have Aperture & Photoshop CS5 and a trail version of Lightroom. In both Aperture or Photoshop when going to print, the screen gives you a preview of your image to do your printer settings and as well color management tools for allowing Photoshop to manage your print profiles or use the printer management. In Lightroom there is no preview or options for color management.

Does anyone have any clues as to why? I know the story of Steve Jobs love hate relationship with Adobe and he would not allow flash player to be used on the iPad. Was there similar issues with Aperture and Lightroom?

I don't think the preview is there, but everything else is there. In the Print Module, you have to scroll down to the bottom of the righthand sidebar, and open up the Print Job panel. See attached screen capture. Printing is not intuitive - but the controls are there.

Attachments

• Lr4PrintPanel.jpg
    Lr4PrintPanel.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 103

flyshop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Photo management

Thanks. It's almost the same except for no preview. It just does not show it as Lightroom manages color like in Photoshop. Just a list of profiles.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Thanks. It's almost the same except for no preview. It just does not show it as Lightroom manages color like in Photoshop. Just a list of profiles.

If the preview is important you can always use Lr to send the image to Photoshop. Either right-click the image or in the menu bar Photo. Then Edit In > CS6 (or whatever). Depending on what you have been doing you may also see at this point a dialogue asking if you want to edit with the Lr Edits, the original image, etc etc.

Once in Ps you can then use its printing dialogue. If all you've done is print, then when you close the image in Ps I'd not save any changes. Otherwise, you may then get a DNG next to a PSD file that appear virtually identical. No point cluttering up the HDD with PSD files used to make a print. If you do may some changes in Ps at this point, then when you save the image it will be sent back to Lr (when you save the file) and parked next to the image in Lr. In my system Lr then appends 'Edit' onto the name. I don't remember if this the default behaviour, or something I've tweaked. If I go back and edit that file again I will get [Filename]-Edit-Edit. And so on.

Cheers

rick d

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
printing in LR4

Printing in LR is so much better. You can put the image or images anywhere you want, make the borders whatever you want, set the paper type you want and see all on the screen. You can watermark, put on a border of any size and color. You can then save the template to be used again without resetting anything and in two clicks you're ready to print.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.