Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:16 PM   #1
chancecrail
macrumors newbie

VelociRaptors in an R4?

I'm trying to upgrade my media storage workflow as to better prepare myself for a larger bulk of video editing projects. (I shoot using a Nikon D600, edit using both Apple and Adobe pro suites.)

I know that what I should do is buy a server and use that to edit (reading media storage directly to the chipset is always faster than editing from an external array, of course) but I don't have the cash to spend on a new machine.
So, instead, I plan on buying a Pegasus R4 to attach to my early 2011 MacBook Pro.

The question I have is this:
Can I fit 1TB 3.5in 10kRPM VelociRaptors in a Pegasus array? Or do the mongo-heat sinks prevent them from fitting? I've never actually been able to get my hands on a Pegasus array so I'm not sure if it would physically fit inside the bay. I assume they would, but I'm not going to spend all that dough and find out that nothing fits, so I thought I'd ask.

If anyone has any other ideas about my workflow (other than feeling a need to yell at me about using external arrays with a MacBook) let me know.

Thanks,
C.
chancecrail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:25 AM   #2
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
The Pegasus R4/R6 have a SAS controller (which is compatible to SATA), so you might as well use enterprise-grade 15000RPM Seagate Cheetah SAS drives. But technically, the heat sink of the VelociRaptor should have the same dimensions as regular 3.5" drives.

Last edited by Giuly; Mar 16, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:12 AM   #3
reebzor
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to reebzor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
the heat sink of the VelociRaptor should have the same dimensions as regular 3.5" drives.
I can confirm this. I use Velociraptors in hot swap trays and they line up correctly.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice