Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eva01

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I found this on Mac Fixit today and just wanted to let other people that don't know about mac fixit to read this.

Warning -- keep iPod and other magnetic devices away from lower-right portion of the iMac The iMac G5 rev C (iSight) contains a magnet on the lower-right corner of the machine (below the slot-load SuperDrive) that is used to secure the remote in place when not in use. Be sure to keep iPods and any other storage devices that use magnetic media away from this area to avoid potential data damage.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I don't have an iMac, but still... that's kind of scary to even think about. :eek: Does Apple have an official warning on their site? If not, I think they should.

Thanks for the heads-up!

eva01

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
its probably a very tiny magnet and the chances of data loss are remotely negligible, but just in case. Better to be safe than sorry

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
There's also a small magnet on the top edge of Rev A and B iMacs. It's there so you can magnetically secure an iSight to the iMac.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Wow, I was EXPECTING there to be an issue when they said there's a magnet to secure the remote. I didn't know about that iSight one though.

eva01

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
cleanup said:
There's also a small magnet on the top edge of Rev A and B iMacs. It's there so you can magnetically secure an iSight to the iMac.

but one is more likely to have an iPod or a HD next to the lower right portion of the iMac than sitting on top of the iMac.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
When I saw the pictures of the new iMac I did wonder how the remote control was attached to the side of it... I didn't think it would be magnetic for this very reason.

Hmmm... keep your iPod away from your iMac... interesting concept :rolleyes: ...perhaps easier said than done!

eva01

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
dietcokevanilla said:
When I saw the pictures of the new iMac I did wonder how the remote control was attached to the side of it... I didn't think it would be magnetic for this very reason.

Hmmm... keep your iPod away from your iMac... interesting concept :rolleyes: ...perhaps easier said than done!

yeah especially considering if the location of the USB or FW ports are on the right hand side of the stand...

stoid

macrumors 601
How does this compare to the magnets found in speakers. I have a pair of Harman Kardon SoundSticks II on my desk, should I be worried about data loss and keep them distanced from my hard drives (internal, external, and iPod?)

lickily

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
I thought about that when I first read how the remote was secured. Probably not a concern, but any chance of problems with internal components (HD, RAM, etc.)?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
stoid said:
How does this compare to the magnets found in speakers. I have a pair of Harman Kardon SoundSticks II on my desk, should I be worried about data loss and keep them distanced from my hard drives (internal, external, and iPod?)

Computer speakers are shielded so there's no worry. The magnet in the iMac might be shielded too. Either that, or not even powerful enough to wipe a hard drive

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
I really doubt this magnet would have any negative impact. How about the magnets in PowerBooks and iBooks to get the closing latch to pop out. How much data have they corrupted? Just someone rambling on about theoretical problems and not actually thinking about life in the real world

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
yg17 said:
Computer speakers are shielded so there's no worry. The magnet in the iMac might be shielded too. Either that, or not even powerful enough to wipe a hard drive
It wouldn't be shielded, as that would defeat the purpose of having one. :)

As far as the earlier rev iMacs... is there a magnet on top, or simply metal under the plastic for a magnetic iSight mount to latch onto?

Alex Duggan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2004
UK
jsw said:

As far as the earlier rev iMacs... is there a magnet on top, or simply metal under the plastic for a magnetic iSight mount to latch onto?

There's a magnet inside of the casing on mine, as well as in the iSight mount (Rev. A 20")

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
That magenet is so small/weak, I gaurantee you it will not have any effect on data in iPods or other devices at all.

You could leave your iPod taped to that area for a week, and it would be fine.

The article is just slinging paint, that's all.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
that magnet is nothing compared to the magnets in turnables. i use my mac for digital djing and have seen no probs when near a turntable.

i'm not sure i'd worry about the imac magnet

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
jsw said:

Shielded on the inside, not the outside (inside to protect the internal HD, etc). C'mon demiG, you know this stuff.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mcarnes said:
Shielded on the inside, not the outside (inside to protect the internal HD, etc). C'mon demiG, you know this stuff.
But I was replying in the context of the possible threat to an external iPod.... :)

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
This is a level of paranoia that really isn't necessary

Try this, take a magnet, and a credit card, like your backup one in case your paranoid. Rub the magnet all over the "mag-strip". Now take that card and try and buy something with it where they run it through a mag strip reader.

It still works. How can this be? Because stray magnetic signals are in general not enough to accidently erase magnetic media. Even strong and close. In general your ipod will not be close enough, and even if it was, it wouldn't rewrite your hard drive.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
taken directly off of apple's user manual...

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 308

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
While it's a good idea to be cautious I think there's a little too much worry about magnets and hard drives...iBooks and Powerbooks both have rather strong magnets built right into them as part of the latch. I've had pens slide over to the magnet and up the front of my computer to stick to the magnet. It's placed all of 4 inches from the hard drive in my iBook, and probably closer in 12" versions. While you might want to be careful, about leaving your iPod pressed up against it, it's not the end of the world.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Magnetic fields fall off at the cube of distance, so the range on this magnet, like most, is going to be VERY short. Although it's theoretically possible for this to mess up the data on a hard drive (which is why Apple is covering it's butt with that warning), it would have to be VERY close to actually have any effect--practically in physical contact, I'd wager. So long as your iPod dock isn't right next to that corner of the computer (even a couple inches is almost certainly more than enough), it is unlikely to ever have an effect.

(And actually, if it's in the dock, the metal case of the iPod's drive is probably grounded, in which case I don't think the magnet couldn't have any effect at all as it's basically a Faraday Cage at that point.)

Bottom line: I wouldn't lean my external hard drive against that corner of the iMac, but so long as you give stuff a couple inches clearance it'll never be an issue.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Considering hard drives have magnets in them for the motors, I don't think this magnet is going to present any issue.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
belvdr said:
Considering hard drives have magnets in them for the motors, I don't think this magnet is going to present any issue.

No kidding, has anyone actually lost data due to magnets since the old floppy disk erra? I think that the metal casing around hard drives and what have you is suffecient to protect the data. Hard drive platteres are not the same kind of material as the magnetic tape in audio cassettes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.