Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arainert

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
I've read a lot of stuff concerning the TiBook's ability to hold a wireless signal at a distance from an Airport Base Station (including hacks for the base station that exposes the antenna more).

Is this an issue with other wireless hubs (Linksys) since they already have two exposed antennas?

Or is it not even an issue?

Thanks

:a

yzeater

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
I haven't found it to be an issue at all. At our house we've got a PB and a Thinkpad (with cisco card) on our SMC network, and they both have almost the same signal strength

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Since the problem exists within the Powerbook itself, a different base station doesn't make much difference. I bought a Linksys wireless bridge for work and my range is roughly the same as home, where I have an Airport Base Station.

For the most part, though, it's not a big problem. My wife's iBook has much better reception, in general, but my reception is more than good enough. There are a couple of dead spots in the house for me (none for her), but I have positioned the Base Station in the best place to have good reception most of the time.

Anyway, the antenna in the Base Station is about as good as other wireless bridges. It does cost a lot more, though...

Chris

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
If you get a non-Apple wireless card, the antenna will actually be on the PCMCIA card, so Apple's antenna will not be a problem. So, yes, another card would be free of the problems with Apple's antenna inside the PowerBook.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
If you get a non-Apple wireless card, the antenna will actually be on the PCMCIA card, so Apple's antenna will not be a problem. So, yes, another card would be free of the problems with Apple's antenna inside the PowerBook.

Heh, funny the way you say non-Apple wireless card, because if you open up the Airport Base Station and see... it's just a normal Logitech Wi-Fi card fitted in there, you know :D

irmongoose

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by irmongoose
Heh, funny the way you say non-Apple wireless card, because if you open up the Airport Base Station and see... it's just a normal Logitech Wi-Fi card fitted in there, you know :D

irmongoose

Other than the driver issue. ;)

There is an article about this very thing in the current MacWorld magazine. SourceForge has a driver that *should* work in OS X:

http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.