Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geordan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
So I recently bought a January 2008 macbook air with an ssd in it for $350, and I couldn't be happier.

The 2008 air is still an awesome computer and think it makes perfect sense for like 90% of potential users - especially students. At the prices it's selling for now (the price I paid is perhaps a small bit lower than normal), I think it should be on people's list for an entry level machine. Sure I'll never do any of my photo editing work on it, but who cares. For 90% of my activity and the activity of most users, this thing is still awesome. My Mac Pro is starting to get dusty.

If anyone is thinking about buying one of these - do it. They're a deal to be had in my opinion. The only people who will tell you it's too slow for normal use are guys who spend their days at home reading reviews on Anandtech from their 12 Core Mac Pro's with 32GB of Ram and 8 TB of storage. They'll whine "look at how long it took the Macbook Air 1,1 to copy a 5GB file!!!!" while they smugly comment on how quickly their Mac Pro loads their next Youtube video.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I'll go ahead and start the hate train. For $350 I'd rather get a 2013 windows machine with an i3.

But if you want a used, slow, overpriced laptop that is prone to over heating, it's surly a great deal to be had! ;)

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Congrats,

Your holding a historic (Steve would have said "revolutionary") machine in your lap.
My only experiences with the earliest air's (prior to redesign) were with HDD based machines and those left things to be desired. Do you know if the SSD is an original BTO or later installation?

RGDS,

Geordan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
I'll go ahead and start the hate train. For $350 I'd rather get a 2013 windows machine with an i3.

But if you want a used, slow, overpriced laptop that is prone to over heating, it's surly a great deal to be had! ;)

LOL

Hahah honestly that's exactly what I was hoping someone would reply. ;)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
OK I jump on train.

I hope u checked out the battery, 'coz maybe soon now, ur looking at another $150 expense.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm glad the OP is happy with his/her purchase, but I for one would not have given that much for a 5 year old computer.

A 2011 MBA can be had for about $700-$800 price range.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Actually I admire people that can be perfectly happy with 5 year old hardware. Saves a lot of money and if they are happy and do what they need to do with it, that's all that matters.

tipman2000

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
yes to this

i agree. I recently acquired a 2008 macbook pro 15, and quite honestly it is 95% as fast as a new macbook pro for most tasks. the only thing a new one might have would be an ssd, which you can upgrade. the ol' core2duo machines are still enough for almost all tasks. it edits HD video, works with audio, and even plays starcraft 2 nicely. the only thing I miss would be that the battery only lasts 5 hours instead of 7. :p:p:p:p:p

its a deal for a college student!

TFMTASAD

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
If someone hates you because you bought something that makes you perfectly happy with your own damn money, this someone needs to have his head examined.

thei0009

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
If someone hates you because you bought something that makes you perfectly happy with your own damn money, this someone needs to have his head examined.

Hey, luckily for me, my i found a 2010 macbook air on craigslist and was wondering if the 2010 macbook air can process a game like cod 4.

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Hopefully your 2008 doesn't have the hinge issues.

IIRC, doesn't Apple replace it for free?

Well, I'm surely in love with my 2011 MBA. It's aesthetically more appealing. (To me at least.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.