Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Trying to get some feedback from users on how stable the jailbreak has been for them over all. Has anybody experience weird or flaky behavior from their iPhone after jailbreaking?

I would be jailbreaking only for a few things like TetherMe, iBlacklist and to change the ROOT password of the iPhone that is pretty much about it.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
Trying to get some feedback from users on how stable the jailbreak has been for them over all. Has anybody experience weird or flaky behavior from their iPhone after jailbreaking?

I would be jailbreaking only for a few things like TetherMe, iBlacklist and to change the ROOT password of the iPhone that is pretty much about it.

Stable as stock personally. Be sure to never use cracked apps and for the most part it's stable as not being jailbroken. Even if it was a little loopy the added functionality is worth it.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
The jailbreak itself is stable; it's what you add after that can be problematic for some. Devs are still ironing out the bugs in various tweaks. Most things that needed to be upgraded to work with iOS 6 are working pretty well though.

iBlacklist *does* have some problems still; search the forum on that one. It's fine for my needs, but whether or not it will suit yours depends on how you use it.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The jailbreak itself is stable; it's what you add after that can be problematic for some. Devs are still ironing out the bugs in various tweaks. Most things that needed to be upgraded to work with iOS 6 are working pretty well though.

Sure, I am aware that it is a loaded question to some extent dependent upon what the individual asking the question (how stable is it?) and what they end up actually putting on the phone that makes that kind of tricky to answer.

But, I am all about stability and adding some much needed functionality to my iPhone with things that are not available through proper APPLE Channels such as

iBlackList

SSH / COMMAND Line (Change Root Password)

TetherMe

and that is pretty much about it. I don't haphazardly just install random crap on my Phone just for the sake of doing it and I understand the worth and merit of clean code and don't fool around with anything but clean code from developers and products that I have extensively researched or that have great reps in the community for producing cleanly coded programs.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Well, we cross posted--as I added, iBlacklist isn't cleanly coded at the moment (and really, that one's nearly always had bugs and conflicts with other tweaks, especially biteSMS). It's been the perennial problem child on my phones; the tweak I wait the longest to update when a new version comes out. I'll watch the forum for days after to make sure it's relatively bug free before I'll touch it. The current version does what I need it to--throw all calls from non contacts to voicemail. But blocking texts, or any action other than sending to VM is problematic.

Still, it's the only real game in town on that front, which is why so many of us put up with it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I jailbroke my 3GS when Evasion came out. It's on 6.1. It's not my main phone so it usually sits on a dock charger at home all day and gets played with by my kids at night and weekends. I haven't restarted it since the jailbreak. I have a few tweaks, very minimal compared to what I have on my iPhone 5 and other than a few resprings to apply some of those tweaks it hasn't had an issues.

If that tells you anything…

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hey thanks a lot fellas. I do appreciate the feedback from all of you familiar faces.

I have not had an iPhone for a little over a year now so it has been quite some time since I have Jailbroken anything and I am really out of the loop on all of this since what I think early iOS 4 possibly before then so, as you can tell I need to relearn the ropes and get current with the basics of what is working and what is problematic.

What is the basic minimum that is needed on a Jailbreak now? Back when I did it I was on the 3GS so there was real worth and merit in jailbreaking back then as only a third of the functionality that currently exists was available on the stock APPLE Device. Unlike now, the iPhones functionality is wide open compared to 3 years ago.

Any pointers and advice from the heads is quite welcomed and would be much appreciated.

Hmmm.... iBlackList is problematic huh? Any alternatives? Keep in mind I'm rusty on the Jailbreak scene...

As usual guys, Thank you.

Cam;)

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Hey thanks a lot fellas. I do appreciate the feedback from all of you familiar faces.

I have not had an iPhone for a little over a year now so it has been quite some time since I have Jailbroken anything and I am really out of the loop on all of this since what I think early iOS 4 possibly before then so, as you can tell I need to relearn the ropes and get current with the basics of what is working and what is problematic.

What is the basic minimum that is needed on a Jailbreak now? Back when I did it I was on the 3GS so there was real worth and merit in jailbreaking back then as only a third of the functionality that currently exists was available on the stock APPLE Device. Unlike now, the iPhones functionality is wide open compared to 3 years ago.

Any pointers and advice from the heads is quite welcomed and would be much appreciated.

Cam;)

I think it falls down to preferences in the end but I think the following are tweaks I have learned to love and it has just become part of how I use my phone

1. Zephyr (multitasking/closing apps with gestures; you cut down the amount of times you press that home button by around 50% which is always a plus for the lasting of the button. The only time I press it is to wake up the phone)

2. Activator (one of them being to put my phone to sleep with a gesture; others such as quick compose with bitesms, toggling flashlight on/off)

3. SBSettings/NCSettings are convenient for quick access to toggles like wifi, brightness, airplane mode, etc

4. FolderEnhancer (allows for a near infinite amount of apps per folder and folders within folders; guess the value of this tweak depends on how many apps you have)

5. LockInfo 5

6. biteSMS (allows quick compose, quick reply, etc.)

There are many more tweaks I have, although not as big of an impact as these to me alone but when combined, increase the functionality of my phone enormously

These tweaks may or may not be for you depending on what kind of functionality you are looking for

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Hmmm.... iBlackList is problematic huh? Any alternatives? Keep in mind I'm rusty on the Jailbreak scene...

Cam;)
There is RingerX VIP which is what I have (I have iBlacklist too). It's not per se a call blocker, but if you set it up right it can be used that way.

RingerX VIP allows you to set custom ringtones for groups (and contacts) AND/OR whether your phone should ring/alert or remain mute. Setting it for contacts is now part of iOS 6, but not for groups. So, RingerX VIP takes care of this for groups.

You can set up a contact or a group that is to be blocked (I have a contact called BLOCKED CALLER). Simply tell RingerX VIP to mute the contact (or group). The phone won't ring, you won't get any text alerts.

Of course you have to add the number to the contact or group at least once and the caller will go to VM, but that's the same thing iBlacklist is doing at the moment. I'm pretty sure this would also work on Facetime or iMessage, but IDK.

It's a good alternative I think and the upside is that any contact/groups you want to hear different ringtones from you can set. RingerX VIP also allows you to choose specific contacts to ignore the Do Not Disturb settings. Additionally, it works when your phone is unlocked, unlike Do Not Disturb.

Auxo

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2013
A³tweaks

iBlacklist *does* have some problems still; search the forum on that one. It's fine for my needs, but whether or not it will suit yours depends on how you use it.
Wut?
Haven't had any problems .

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Stable for me on a 4s.

What is the basic minimum that is needed on a Jailbreak now? Back when I did it I was on the 3GS so there was real worth and merit in jailbreaking back then as only a third of the functionality that currently exists was available on the stock APPLE Device.
There's no such thing as a universal basic minimum. Just like the ubiquitous "What are the must-have apps?" question, it's a matter of preference. What are you looking to do? If you're just looking for random suggestions based on what others prefer there are plenty of threads in here that already cover that.

JB'ing still has "real worth and merit" (also subjective matters) or else none of us would bother with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.