Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Out of interest, does anyone know if there are refurb ipad 4s or minis out there yet either as replacements or those sold as refurb? How long does it generally take for the first refurbs to get out there after a new generation is released?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
For sales, I have no idea - I imagine they've been around. For replacements - yes, I'd say they well and truly have refurbs by now :).

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
its not a question of how soon after but when they accumulate enough inventory to either sell or swap them.

The current iPod touch and iPod nano went on sale before the iPod mini was announced and are still not available for sale as refurbish.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
Dealnews.com has decent refurb deals showing at newegg I believe.

It has refurb 16 gb for 404
And 64 gb for 599

So 100 less

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
My replacement mini was a refurb

When the wifi antenna died on my pristine black 64 GB LTE mini in less than 2 months AppleCare replaced it with a refurbished unit. They claim everything that can be touched was replaced. I wonder what that means for the lifespan of the moveable parts (jacks and buttons). When they replaced my wife's Touch due to a broken home button the one she was given had a crooked home button. She didn't notice it in the store and the 60 mile drive wasn't worth it for another exchange. Now it is unique ;)

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
When the wifi antenna died on my pristine black 64 GB LTE mini in less than 2 months AppleCare replaced it with a refurbished unit. They claim everything that can be touched was replaced. I wonder what that means for the lifespan of the moveable parts (jacks and buttons). When they replaced my wife's Touch due to a broken home button the one she was given had a crooked home button. She didn't notice it in the store and the 60 mile drive wasn't worth it for another exchange. Now it is unique ;)

How do you know it was a refurb you got?

And when Apple give refurbs new s/n s do they include in it the week it was originally manufactured or the week it was refurbished?

Last edited:

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
How do you know it was a refurb you got?

And when Apple give refurbs new s/n s do they include in it the week it was originally manufactured or the week it was refurbished?

Put the serial number in this website:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

The production date or location is not embedded in the serial number of a refurb. For example here is the info on the iPad mini I was given:

Serial number: DKVK301HF19L
Name: iPad
ModelCode: ipad
Group1: iPad
Group2: Mini
Generation: 1
Machine Model: iPad2,7
Screen size: 7.9 inch
Screen resolution: 1024x768 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 64GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Factory: DK (Refurbished)

Whereas here is the info on my original iPad:

Model introduced: 2012
Serial number: F4KJN3K5F19L
Production year: 2012
Production week: 45 (November)
Factory: F4 (China, Shanghai - Pegatron-Protek)

I was concerned that this might affect resale value which is why I was asking for a new unit rather than a refurbished.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Put the serial number in this website:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

The production date or location is not embedded in the serial number of a refurb. For example here is the info on the iPad mini I was given:

Serial number: DKVK301HF19L
Factory: DK (Refurbished)

Whereas here is the info on my original iPad:

Model introduced: 2012
Serial number: F4KJN3K5F19L
Production year: 2012
Production week: 45 (November)
Factory: F4 (China, Shanghai - Pegatron-Protek)

The serial number of your replacement says production week 3 (January 2013). It just claims that DK means refurb.

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
The serial number of your replacement says production week 3 (January 2013). It just claims that DK means refurb.

Fascinating! The website did not give that information when I actually had that unit in my hands but now it does.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Out of interest, does anyone know if there are refurb ipad 4s or minis out there yet either as replacements or those sold as refurb? How long does it generally take for the first refurbs to get out there after a new generation is released?

Apple store updated today with refurbbed 4th gen and Minis.

Only 6-9 percent off, not enough if you ask me!

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
iPad 3 refurb is the best value IMO

iPad 3, 16GB wifi for $379 - can't beat that value

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

It will be the date it was refurbished.

All refurbished devices have a new outer casing (including all buttons) and a new battery :).

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
It will be the date it was refurbished.

All refurbished devices have a new outer casing (including all buttons) and a new battery :).

Does that mean the mechanical part of the button or just the plastic part you touch? The clicker died on my wife's Touch and the replacement has a crooked plastic button. The serial number on the replacement coming today looks like another non-refurb.

After receiving the final replacement:
It is another mini with original serial number and damage to the case (plus a dead pixel or a speck of something under the screen this time). The refurbished unit I was sent before was the only device (except the original) that did not have case damage (but it had multicolored light bleed). It is starting to look as if they use "seconds" for their replacement devices.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.