Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoneWolfUSMC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Southern Indiana
I have been using my new 15" MBPr for a couple weeks now and loving it. I have run it pretty hard through two different video projects (Premiere CS6) and it scrubs through H.264 1080p footage like a dream and renders faster than real time.

However I now I have a nagging little problem. Now and then I get little colored pixels popping up in a group in the middle of my screen. They are appearing on the retina display and the external (Acer H233H) attached by HDMI. They will also pop up occasionally when no external display is attached.

The MBPr is under warranty (and I also bought the Apple Care). I just want to see if any of you guys have seen this before I call Apple about it. No Apple Stores local to me, so it's not as simple at just taking it to a Genius. (two hour drive).

I tried a search for this issue, but I am either not using the correct terms or it's not a common problem since none of the results sounded like my particular issue.

While I was typing this it popped up twice in different locations, so I snapped a screenshot.

Really loving this thing and hoping it's not a serious issue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-13 at 11.30.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-13 at 11.30.43 AM.png
    409.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-13 at 11.31.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-13 at 11.31.51 AM.png
    420.3 KB · Views: 232

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I'm pretty sure your computer has the measles.

I'm sure that helps the OP a lot...

I have been using my new 15" MBPr for a couple weeks now and loving it. I have run it pretty hard through two different video projects (Premiere CS6) and it scrubs through H.264 1080p footage like a dream and renders faster than real time.

However I now I have a nagging little problem. Now and then I get little colored pixels popping up in a group in the middle of my screen. They are appearing on the retina display and the external (Acer H233H) attached by HDMI. They will also pop up occasionally when no external display is attached.

The MBPr is under warranty (and I also bought the Apple Care). I just want to see if any of you guys have seen this before I call Apple about it. No Apple Stores local to me, so it's not as simple at just taking it to a Genius. (two hour drive).

I tried a search for this issue, but I am either not using the correct terms or it's not a common problem since none of the results sounded like my particular issue.

While I was typing this it popped up twice in different locations, so I snapped a screenshot.

Really loving this thing and hoping it's not a serious issue.

Have you tried the usual SMC and PRAM reset?

Also, make sure you're running the latest update/drivers.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Is it just in Safari? The current Safari is rather buggy and can produce graphical artefacts.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Is it just in Safari? The current Safari is rather buggy and can produce graphical artefacts.

Ive noticed this a lot, its horrible.

I would;

1. PRAM Reset
  2. SMC Reset

If no luck then I would try diff browser to see if the problem persist within JUST Safari or through-out all apps.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Still trying different tests to sort out this graphics issue. Mine seems to do it consistently as well as randomly. I know that's a bit ambiguous but so is this issue.

Hopefully like the runaway fan problem I and hundreds of others have, Apple will do something to address and fix these issues on an otherwise nice computer. It's very annoying to drop $3K for a new laptop only to have "in your face" issues like this.

Oh well it's only money :)

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I saw that macbook retina HD 4000 have 760MB while macbook air 13" has 512MB, is this corect?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I saw that macbook retina HD 4000 have 760MB while macbook air 13" has 512MB, is this corect?

Yes--I think the 15" rMBP might also only have 512 MB Intel HD 4000 vRAM, but I just took a quick look today at the Apple Store.

LoneWolfUSMC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Southern Indiana
Ive noticed this a lot, its horrible.

I would;

1. PRAM Reset
  2. SMC Reset

If no luck then I would try diff browser to see if the problem persist within JUST Safari or through-out all apps.

It was not just Safari. It happened in various apps as well.

Looks like an SMC Reset may have fixed it.

I may have goofed something up that caused it. I found out the hard way that the MacBook does not like to have drives removed while it is asleep. I grabbed it off my dest and unplugged the external HD and HDMI then woke it up. It spazzed out pretty bad.

LoneWolfUSMC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Southern Indiana
Guess it's not fixed. My MBPr died a glorious death. Even reloading Mountain Lion won't resurrect it from the spinning wheel on boot.

Going to have to take it to the local Authorized Service Center since the closest Apple Store is several hours away.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Guess it's not fixed. My MBPr died a glorious death. Even reloading Mountain Lion won't resurrect it from the spinning wheel on boot.

Going to have to take it to the local Authorized Service Center since the closest Apple Store is several hours away.

Ouch.

I hope it works out for you.

Have you tried calling Apple to talk to a live person before you make the commit?

LoneWolfUSMC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Southern Indiana
Ouch.

I hope it works out for you.

Have you tried calling Apple to talk to a live person before you make the commit?

Yep. He walked me through the SMC reset, again. Then had me try to boot to the Recovery partition. It won't boot so nothing he can do. It won't boot to a clean OSX install on the internal or external drive and won't boot to the external clone.

I went ahead and made an appointment for the Apple Store in Louisville Monday. It's going to cost me a day and $40 in gas. But I think I have a better chance of getting it resolved quick.

If its going to require a major part replacement, what do you think the possibility of just exchanging it for a new one is? It's only sixteen days old.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Did 10.8.3 fix these problems you had?

OP can't boot the system anymore, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they haven't installed 10.8.3.

If its going to require a major part replacement, what do you think the possibility of just exchanging it for a new one is? It's only sixteen days old.

That's tough to say. If they do exchange it, it will be at the discretion of the store manager. So, that's the person that you may want to speak to when you're there.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Yep. He walked me through the SMC reset, again. Then had me try to boot to the Recovery partition. It won't boot so nothing he can do. It won't boot to a clean OSX install on the internal or external drive and won't boot to the external clone.

I went ahead and made an appointment for the Apple Store in Louisville Monday. It's going to cost me a day and $40 in gas. But I think I have a better chance of getting it resolved quick.

Depends on if they can fix it or not. It usually takes 2-3 issues (and times taking it in) before a replacement is likely to happen. But if the problem is severe, then they're more likely to replace it.

LoneWolfUSMC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Southern Indiana
It just gets weirder. I can now get into recovery partition and it appears I can boot into Windows 7 via Bootcamp. But I still can't boot into a clean install of OXS on the primary partition or any external device.

LoneWolfUSMC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Southern Indiana
Awesome Apple Service

First let me say I have no idea what caused this issue.

Second, Apple Customer Service is awesome.

I drove two hours to the nearest Apple store. The Genius ran diagnostics on the MacBook, but didn't come up with any issues. However it still would not boot. He filled out the paperwork to send it in to the service center, had me sign off, but then at the last minute said "let me check on something for you".

About ten minutes later he came back and told me that since I haven't even had it for a month, he was going to swap it out for me. Thankfully they had the exact same MacBook in stock. They also realized that for some reason when I bought the first one, I didn't get Apple Care. I thought I did, but apparently dumped it out of the cart when I was checking out. They added the Apple Care AND gave me the Gov discount that I didn't get when I first bought it.

Overall an excellent customer service experience. I wish I had not had the problem in the first place, but the way they handled it was outstanding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.