Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:15 PM   #1
ImaVeggie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Prepaid & Unlocked iPhones - I Need Help

I currently have a Android 4G phone on TMobile's $30 Monthly 4G plan. My speeds are about 2-4 MBps.

I would love to finally get an iPhone with a prepaid plan. The current options are Straight Talk, Virgin Mobile and TMobile, because they're $45 and under.

I'd love to get the right unlocked model iPhone that would allow me the most options to change cell companies in order to get the best service in my area, which is on Long Island.

Which one do you think would give me more flexibilty?
1. Straight Talk iPhone 5 through Walmart - A1429 - $649
2. iPhone 5 through Apple Store - A1428 - $649
3. iPhone 4S through Virgin Mobile - $450 ---> is it unlocked?



Please help me finally get an iPhone
ImaVeggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:23 PM   #2
CEmajr
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Get the one from Apple store. The others are not sold unlocked.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:26 PM   #3
madsci954
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
The one the ST sells uses Verizon (CDMA) network, so if Verizon has poor coverage where it will be used, that will be a problem.

The factory unlocked one Apple is GSM and can be used on ST or T-Mobile.

Only get the VM if they have good coverage where you live, and I believe it's locked to them.

I would say either buy from Apple, or check CL/eBay for cheaper iPhone 5's. If you live in an area where T-Mobile refarmed their network, go with them so you can have 3G. If they haven't refarmed, you would be stuck on Edge. If you don't want Edge, go with ST.

Last edited by madsci954; Mar 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Curious. For u folks who want to do this...

Subsidized: $70/mo * 24 + 200 = $1,880.
Unsubsidized: $45/mo *24 + 650 = $1,730.

Is - $150 total worth the hassle?

Honestly asking.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:59 PM   #5
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Curious. For u folks who want to do this...

Subsidized: $70/mo * 24 + 200 = $1,880.
Unsubsidized: $45/mo *24 + 650 = $1,730.

Is - $150 total worth the hassle?

Honestly asking.
Plus additional fees for texting (although there are other free options such as GV) and taxes are little higher because there are different taxes for prepaid and post-paid. For instance, I don't pay any tax on my $30 T-Mo plan.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaVeggie View Post
I currently have a Android 4G phone on TMobile's $30 Monthly 4G plan. My speeds are about 2-4 MBps.

I would love to finally get an iPhone with a prepaid plan. The current options are Straight Talk, Virgin Mobile and TMobile, because they're $45 and under.

I'd love to get the right unlocked model iPhone that would allow me the most options to change cell companies in order to get the best service in my area, which is on Long Island.

Which one do you think would give me more flexibilty?
1. Straight Talk iPhone 5 through Walmart - A1429 - $649
2. iPhone 5 through Apple Store - A1428 - $649
3. iPhone 4S through Virgin Mobile - $450 ---> is it unlocked?



Please help me finally get an iPhone
If you want to stick to prepaid plans, ST iPhone probably gives you the most option since they are known to be GSM unlocked so you can technically use them with Verizon (only through ST), AT&T (3G only), and T-Mo (Edge unless refarmed). However, I heard ST iPhone can't be used directly with Verizon, if you ever choose to do so. With that said, I would just wait for VM to starting selling the iPhone 5 (I personally wouldn't buy iPhone 4S, unless money is an issue). Since VM just introduced LTE phones, you should be able to use LTE on the iPhone 5 in the future (if your area has LTE, of course).
__________________
iPhone 2G, 3GS, 4 | 15" MB Pro | Apple TV2 | iPad 1, 2, 3, Air (kept), & rMini (returned) | GSIII, Note II, & LG G2

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:22 PM   #6
CEmajr
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Curious. For u folks who want to do this...

Subsidized: $70/mo * 24 + 200 = $1,880.
Unsubsidized: $45/mo *24 + 650 = $1,730.

Is - $150 total worth the hassle?

Honestly asking.
Where are you getting $70 for subsidized monthly pricing from? AT&T and Verizon share plans start at like $100 per month just for 2GB of data.

$100/month * 24 + $200 = $2600

That's a pretty significant $870 saved per year. Plus you don't have to worry about $15/GB charges for overages either.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:08 PM   #7
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
Where are you getting $70 for subsidized monthly pricing from? AT&T and Verizon share plans start at like $100 per month just for 2GB of data.

$100/month * 24 + $200 = $2600

That's a pretty significant $870 saved per year. Plus you don't have to worry about $15/GB charges for overages either.
AT&T still has the old individual plans. See their website.
__________________
iPhone 2G, 3GS, 4 | 15" MB Pro | Apple TV2 | iPad 1, 2, 3, Air (kept), & rMini (returned) | GSIII, Note II, & LG G2

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Christian 5G
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orange County
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian 5G
I'm on virgin right now, they cut data at 2.4 gb :/ ... Hopefully i5s comes out and I wanna try tmobile 30$ plan.
Christian 5G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:42 PM   #9
ImaVeggie
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Thanks for the replies.

Verizon supposedly has really good 4G coverage throughout my area (Long Island).

Would anyone know whether I would get 4G with the Straight Talk iPhone 5 through Walmart or would it be just 3g?
ImaVeggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:28 PM   #10
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaVeggie View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Verizon supposedly has really good 4G coverage throughout my area (Long Island).

Would anyone know whether I would get 4G with the Straight Talk iPhone 5 through Walmart or would it be just 3g?
3G only through ST Verizon service.
__________________
iPhone 2G, 3GS, 4 | 15" MB Pro | Apple TV2 | iPad 1, 2, 3, Air (kept), & rMini (returned) | GSIII, Note II, & LG G2

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:32 PM   #11
ImaVeggie
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
3G only through ST Verizon service.
Thanks for the reply. 3G only... but I have a feeling that it might be equal or even a bit better that TMobile's 4G I've been getting.
ImaVeggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:46 PM   #12
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaVeggie View Post
Thanks for the reply. 3G only... but I have a feeling that it might be equal or even a bit better that TMobile's 4G I've been getting.
Your 4G must be horrible. I get 10-20 Mbps on my S3 with T-Mo $30 plan. You will get ~2 Mbps max with ST (Verizon).
__________________
iPhone 2G, 3GS, 4 | 15" MB Pro | Apple TV2 | iPad 1, 2, 3, Air (kept), & rMini (returned) | GSIII, Note II, & LG G2

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:47 PM   #13
CEmajr
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
AT&T still has the old individual plans. See their website.
Checked them out. Looks like $70 would only net you 450 mins, no texting, and 300MB of service. That's unusable to most smartphone owners. You pretty much have to get the $20 texting or risk being charged for every individual message and with LTE you would zip through 300MB in no time.

I think $90 would be the cost to net you a comparable plan to what the prepaid or other carriers offer so it is still worth it to use them over AT&T if concerned about price.

Looks like the minimum would be $90 on an individual plan
$40 for 450 minutes
$30 for 3GB of data
$20 for unlimited messaging w/ unlimited mobile to mobile

Not to mention that on AT&T with a postpaid plan you are subject to more fees and taxes on your bill while prepaid users only have to worry about sales tax.

For the original topic creator, I would recommend you try to find the AT&T compatible ST sim on their website. If not available then look at T-Mobile prepaid (but only if you're in a refarmed market). Getting the Verizon compatible ST iPhone 5 would be my next choice because of the slow 3G speeds of CDMA carriers. Virgin is even slower 3G because it uses Sprint's network and coverage is much worse than Verizon.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:59 PM   #14
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Is Tmobile service better for unlocked iPhones nowadays in NY?
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:05 PM   #15
ImaVeggie
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
Your 4G must be horrible. I get 10-20 Mbps on my S3 with T-Mo $30 plan. You will get ~2 Mbps max with ST (Verizon).
Just did Speedtest... 3.12 Mbps on my Samsung Galaxy Exhibit.
ImaVeggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:12 PM   #16
ImaVeggie
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
When using the unlocked phone from the Apple Store with Tmobile prepaid, would I be able to use 4G or would it be 3G?
ImaVeggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:02 AM   #17
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaVeggie View Post
I currently have a Android 4G phone on TMobile's $30 Monthly 4G plan. My speeds are about 2-4 MBps.

I would love to finally get an iPhone with a prepaid plan. The current options are Straight Talk, Virgin Mobile and TMobile, because they're $45 and under.

I'd love to get the right unlocked model iPhone that would allow me the most options to change cell companies in order to get the best service in my area, which is on Long Island.

Which one do you think would give me more flexibilty?
1. Straight Talk iPhone 5 through Walmart - A1429 - $649
2. iPhone 5 through Apple Store - A1428 - $649
3. iPhone 4S through Virgin Mobile - $450 ---> is it unlocked?



Please help me finally get an iPhone
I think you should go with the Straight Talk iPhone 5 or 4S. Verizon 3G is good on Long Island. You're trading off a lack of Verizon 4G for a lower monthly bill, which sounds like something you're willing to do. The phone can take an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM if you want to change to one of them (or their MVNOs) in the future.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:11 AM   #18
ImaVeggie
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
I think you should go with the Straight Talk iPhone 5 or 4S. Verizon 3G is good on Long Island. You're trading off a lack of Verizon 4G for a lower monthly bill, which sounds like something you're willing to do. The phone can take an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM if you want to change to one of them (or their MVNOs) in the future.
Thanks for the reply. I made that decision last night; at about 1:30am when I couldn't sleep because I had iPhone 5 on my brain Now my predicament is do (can) I wait for my local Walmart to get a white one in; they only have black in stock.
ImaVeggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:15 AM   #19
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaVeggie View Post
Thanks for the reply. I made that decision last night; at about 1:30am when I couldn't sleep because I had iPhone 5 on my brain Now my predicament is do (can) I wait for my local Walmart to get a white one in; they only have black in stock.
You could also order online @ http://iphone.straighttalk.com and use site-to-store.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:00 AM   #20
ImaVeggie
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
You could also order online @ http://iphone.straighttalk.com and use site-to-store.
You have to buy it in the store in order to get the no interest financing.
ImaVeggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:04 PM   #21
ImaVeggie
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
I bought the black one at Walmart and an Otterbox Defender - Reflection at Best Buy with $15 in rewards . Beautiful Aqua & Teal colors. Adds a ton of bulk but it's so pretty.

Thanks to all who replied. I finally have an iPhone!!!
ImaVeggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:04 PM   #22
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaVeggie View Post
I bought the black one at Walmart and an Otterbox Defender - Reflection at Best Buy with $15 in rewards . Beautiful Aqua & Teal colors. Adds a ton of bulk but it's so pretty.

Thanks to all who replied. I finally have an iPhone!!!
Congrats! What kind of data speeds are you getting from the speedtest app?
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:51 AM   #23
ImaVeggie
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
Congrats! What kind of data speeds are you getting from the speedtest app?
Quite slow I think. I've been lucky to get 1.3 MBps a few times. Usually it's about .8 download and as slow as .05 upload.

So of course I am questioning the options I have. Should I try to get a nano Sim card from T-Mobile? Should I just return the iPhone back to Walmart? Should I try to get a Straight Talk AT&T Sim card to try? Will any of these options work with this Walmart straight talk iPhone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ImaVeggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:59 AM   #24
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaVeggie View Post
Quite slow I think. I've been lucky to get 1.3 MBps a few times. Usually it's about .8 download and as slow as .05 upload.

So of course I am questioning the options I have. Should I try to get a nano Sim card from T-Mobile? Should I just return the iPhone back to Walmart? Should I try to get a Straight Talk AT&T Sim card to try? Will any of these options work with this Walmart straight talk iPhone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Congrats! All those options should work except ST AT&T is not available right now AFAIK. You can still get NET10 AT&T sim. Also ST T-Mo sim should work. Remember that if your area hasn't been refarmed by T-Mo, you'll only get Edge speed.
__________________
iPhone 2G, 3GS, 4 | 15" MB Pro | Apple TV2 | iPad 1, 2, 3, Air (kept), & rMini (returned) | GSIII, Note II, & LG G2

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:35 PM   #25
ImaVeggie
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
Congrats! All those options should work except ST AT&T is not available right now AFAIK. You can still get NET10 AT&T sim. Also ST T-Mo sim should work. Remember that if your area hasn't been refarmed by T-Mo, you'll only get Edge speed.
Does refarmed mean that there's 4G in my area instead of 3G or Edge? I currently get 4G on my android phone with T-Mobile's 4G monthly; it runs around 3 to 5 MB per second.
ImaVeggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC