Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitterlogo.jpg
CNET is reporting that Twitter has acquired a music discovery service and plans to release a standalone music app. The company reportedly acquired We Are Hunted, "one of the world's leading music discovery services" according to the company's website. The site now says the service is "not available at the moment".
The app, to be called Twitter Music, could be released on iOS by the end of this month, according to a person familiar with the matter. Twitter Music suggests artists and songs to listen to based on a variety of signals, and is personalized based on which accounts a user follows on Twitter. Songs are streamed to the app via SoundCloud.

Twitter Music, which is set to arrive in the wake of key competitor Facebook overhauling the music section of its News Feed, shows Twitter taking new steps into becoming a full-fledged media company. The app acknowledges the key role music has played in drawing new users to the service -- particularly younger, mainstream users. Pop stars have some of Twitter's most popular accounts, with followings in the tens of millions. The TwitterMusic account has 2.3 million followers -- not a bad perch from which to launch an eponymous app.
Rumors of new music services have been popular recently, with Apple and Google are both reported to be working on new subscriptions services, though those efforts appear to be significantly different from Twitter Music.

Article Link: Twitter to Release Standalone 'Twitter Music' iOS App

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
A company that knows nothing about licensing or music and absolutely nothing about making software given the state of their apps, wants to make music software?

Well this won't at all be a complete bloody disaster, I'm sure.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
What are they doing?

Twitter went from an open and simplistic platform to closed and over-complicated platform. Should have taken advice from Steve Jobs; "Not try to do everything. Do one thing well."

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So Twitter is ditching the whole 140 character social network and moving to a 140 cent music network?

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Might I be the only person excited by this!?

Facebook never truly integrated a seamless music streaming experience for unsigned artists like MySpace created. Okay, there is Spotify - but unless you can get a publishing deal, or use a third party service to put it online for you it can be difficult.

I'm not sure what twitter have planned, but with the amount of acts using twitter as group/band pages, this could be interesting. If they can seamlessly make a group/band profile allow music to be played to its users, they're on to a winner.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I went to the @TwitterMusic feed. Found tweets like this. Meetings crazy enough to hold soda cans with your mouth in square crop photos.

https://twitter.com/TwitterMusic/status/310113870209503233

I cringed as I scrolled through the feed. :/

Sure, there are many turns this could take, but at least that user near gave me a headache with completely random tweets about completely random bands... Who meticulously walk through it and actually listen to all that?

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
So yet another entity is trying to capitalize on the craze of making money serving advertising to "free" music listeners, while music creators don't get crap for compensation.

I wish I had been laser focused on making music as a youngster because there was still potential to make money on music back then. Now music is just another commodity to throw around to attract advertising targets. Just like the photography and design market. Flooded with material and no value, nor any respect for content makers. Aaaannd just like the tech support business (no skill required, just so long as you buy certifications... and good luck getting a job anyway).

What do people do for skilled work these days? Surgery?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.