Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:47 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Phil Schiller Goes on Offensive Against Android and Samsung

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller went on the offensive against Android in a unusually forthright interview with The Wall Street Journal.
Quote:
Mr. Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of world-wide marketing, also said that Android users are often running old operating systems and that the fragmentation in the Android world was "plain and simple."

He added that "Android is often given a free replacement for a feature phone and the experience isn't as good as an iPhone."
In addition to the above comments, Schiller said that Android devices and the operating system "don't work seamlessly together" because they come from different vendors, unlike Apple which makes both the software and hardware in its devices.

Samsung is expected to announce an update to its flagship Galaxy S smartphone line tomorrow.

Article Link: Phil Schiller Goes on Offensive Against Android and Samsung
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Nathan20
macrumors regular

Just speaking the truth
Nathan20 is offline   82 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:48 PM   #3
impulse462
macrumors 65816

The usual stuff. And I agree.

Although its hard not to feel as if I'm sitting by watching as these new android phones keep adding more and more features which I don't have. But his comments about "seamlessness" are true.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:50 PM   #4
pandamonia
Banned

Yes and thats why your getting your ass kicked by Android.

I have owned the S3, Nexus 4 and the Note 2 and i can tell you fragmentation hasnt hurt my experience one bit.

PC's are fragmented to hell and they dont suffer. In fact OSX cant perform a single benchmark better than PC in any games.

Dont tell consumers its for their benefit you make the hardware and software. Its for your profit only
pandamonia is offline   142 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:51 PM   #5
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

It's true there's no way around it.
The second problem that android has is piracy, I only know 1 person that doesn't pirate android apps all the other users that I know either use only free stuff or pirate away.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:52 PM   #6
gibbo132
macrumors regular

Its just a shame apple wont update their software... it looks the same as it did on day one.

The new HTC one looks great and the software looks really good.

But as Phil said, they don't offer the level of integration. Im not prepared to give up the integration between my iPad, iPhone and Mac. Well done Apple you have managed to create a winning business plan with minimal work on your behalf.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonia View Post
Dont tell consumers its for their benefit you make the hardware and software. Its for your profit only
What do you mean? :P
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:54 PM   #8
MTL18
macrumors regular

Well, he's not wrong.

My iPad 2 went to iOS6 the day it came out. My GS3 has never been on the latest OS.
MTL18 is offline   42 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:54 PM   #9
sciwizam
macrumors regular

WSJ Article Headline: "In Rare Move, Apple Goes on the Defensive Against Samsung"

Macrumors Headline: "Phil Schiller Goes on Offensive Against Android and Samsung"

sciwizam is offline   86 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:55 PM   #10
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

that's cute
uknowimright is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:55 PM   #11
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Mr. Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of world-wide marketing, also said that Android users are often running old operating systems and that the fragmentation in the Android world was "plain and simple."

He added that "Android is often given a free replacement for a feature phone and the experience isn't as good as an iPhone."
I wouldn't expect Apple's top shill to say anything different.

Funny thing is, that stuff doesn't bother consumers any more now than it did when Apple's former top shill was alive. Android just continues to outsell iOS, and continues to widen the gap.
iGrip is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:56 PM   #12
MacCurry
macrumors 6502

He Would Be Right If Speaking 2 Years Ago

After Android 4.0 ICS came out, Android improved vastly and Samsung has been selling like hotcakes in every segment. Old versions of Android are there because of a lot of older devices sold in the developing world never intended to be upgraded.

Android 5.0 KLP will be out in May and Samsung has become much much better about pushing out updates to its devices than in the past.

This interview by Schiller is to keep morale up and perhaps Apple stock. It isn't just going to be the Galaxy S4 tomorrow, but HTC One, Nexus and Motorola devices that are going to be hitting the market in the next few months.

iOS is getting stale in features and with iPhone you only have one choice. With Android there are several choices.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:56 PM   #13
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I have owned the S3, Nexus 4 and the Note 2 and i can tell you fragmentation hasnt hurt my experience one bit.

PC's are fragmented to hell and they dont suffer. In fact OSX cant perform a single benchmark better than PC in any games.

Thats a lot of phones for the small time Android has been readily available on the market not to mention those phone models themselves are not very old. Why do you change so much? Not happy with your experience I would imagine or you just love cycling through junk phones.

Last edited by Meandmunch; Mar 13, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Meandmunch is offline   40 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:56 PM   #14
slffl
macrumors 65816

Really Jordan? What does the last paragraph have to do with this post? Absolutely nothing! Here's what we'll probably be seeing from you next...

"New pope elected!

Samsung is expected to announce an update to its flagship Galaxy S smartphone line tomorrow.

-Jordan Golson"
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:57 PM   #15
sofila
macrumors regular

Apple marketing chief says that Apple products are better.
Surprising. Unexpected.
sofila is offline   38 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:58 PM   #16
linsam
macrumors regular

I call BS. I used an iPhone for over 5 years and recently switched from an iPhone 5 to the Note 2. Love the Note 2 and the whole Android experience. I have a deep respect for both platforms. There is no need to say one is better than the other. They are both great in their own way. Period.
linsam is offline   67 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:58 PM   #17
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Sounds like someone is fearful of Samsung and Android and the features they have that are useful, that iPhone does not. I'm guessing iOS 7 is more the same. Just because your software/hardware "work together" means squat.
Razeus is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:59 PM   #18
slffl
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Who makes more money? Google or Apple? Who's getting who's ass kicked?

Google makes $0 from Android. They are actually helping foreign companies and hurting American companies in the process.

Last edited by maflynn; Mar 15, 2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: removed insult
slffl is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:59 PM   #19
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
What do you mean? :P
He means that android is wining the race mobile os, the cheap part of the market is filled with androids. I need to develop an android app and I got an samsung ace for just 50 new, granted that it is slow and outdated but I will use it only as a dev device, probably chained to my workstation.

And I do see many people buying new iPhones and they won't notice any difference from the previous gen, it means that people are getting bored.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:00 PM   #20
Asclepio
macrumors 6502a

"iOS devices don't work seamlessly together" and they come from the same vendor. An Analyst said.
Asclepio is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:00 PM   #21
slffl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Sounds like someone is fearful of Samsung and Android and the features they have that are useful, that iPhone does not. I'm guessing iOS 7 is more the same. Just because your software/hardware "work together" means squat.
Sounds like you like giving 100% of your money to Korea.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Enough of that gaming patter, it's the everyday stuff that Macs do well in. In terms of useful stuff out the box, the Mac PISSES on the PC. Also, you haven't noticed fragmentation because because you've not been on stable platform.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:02 PM   #23
Beezzy
macrumors 6502

The man speaks the truth. Thats why I don't like Android phones anymore.
Beezzy is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:02 PM   #24
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
Quote:
Weird. I didn't realise PCs and OSX were made exclusively for gaming...
MasterHowl is offline   39 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:02 PM   #25
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

I really can't see what features a Android phone has that really make me think "Gee, I really wish I had an android phone."

but there are plenty of things that make me think

"Gee, I really am glad I don't have an android phone."

but that's just me :P

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion