Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
hello I am having issues with my external drive being recognized on my PS3

MAC runing 10.8.2
PS3 super slim
1TB WD Elements 3.0 portable

formated to MS-DOS(Fat)

mac obviously reads and writes but it does not show up on PS3

any advice?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is the PS3 powering it enough. The super slims usb's might not have enough oomph to power it. Do you have external power supply or one of those cables that adds an extra USB for more power?

Also you have to make sure you have right folder structure on the Hard drive so for example a PS3 folder, and inside that a Music or Video folder with content put into the appropriate folder.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Is the PS3 powering it enough. The super slims usb's might not have enough oomph to power it. Do you have external power supply or one of those cables that adds an extra USB for more power?

Also you have to make sure you have right folder structure on the Hard drive so for example a PS3 folder, and inside that a Music or Video folder with content put into the appropriate folder.

you might be right on the power thing it makes a chirp sound when pluged intp ps3 would a power usb hub help?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
well it does appear its a power thing my Desktop external works finea

Still would like to know if a powered usb gives it enough juice, the portable exernal does not have a power jack or a y-shapped usb cable

Worst case this becomes my mbp backup drive and the more stationary(desktop) will be for the ps3

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
well it does appear its a power thing my Desktop external works finea

Still would like to know if a powered usb gives it enough juice, the portable exernal does not have a power jack or a y-shapped usb cable

Worst case this becomes my mbp backup drive and the more stationary(desktop) will be for the ps3

Could you not just buy the y-shaped USB cable off ebay and give it a try :)

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Do PS3's support GUID Partition Tables (GPT)? If not (and your drive is using GPT), that could be why it's not showing up.

Last edited:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Could you not just buy the y-shaped USB cable off ebay and give it a try :)

thanks ya I will try that if I can find one cheap

the port on the hard drive is a funny shaped its a micro usb and mini usb combined, tested a normal micro usb and it fits but obviously only covers half the port, will a y-shape work thats just micro on the one end or do i need to find one of those double combined like the original cable?

hope that makes sense

Last edited:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Do PS3's support GUID Partition Tables (GPT)? If not (and your drive is using GPT), that could be why it's not showing up.

I formated it as "Master Boot" also tried formating with windows, the drive makes a chip sound when plugged into ps3 but not any computer ive tried, I trully think its not getting enough power, and not a formating thing.

My desktop external drive works fine formatted the same way

My only descission now is finding a Y-Shape USB or the AC powered USB Hub

The hub would be nice because I would have the extra USB ports for charging controllers and what not, the Y-Shape would take both ports leaving me with none for charging if I was watching a movie, but that scenerio would not happen often enough to not keep that option open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.