Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whocaresit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
With the recent analyst speculations and markets leaks.. it points to one thing; a keynote in April.
..but what updates might the iPad mini 2 receive? Retina Display? A6X? A7? 1GB RAM? 1.5GB RAM? :eek:

kzhlin

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles
With the recent analyst speculations and markets leaks.. it points to one thing; a keynote in April.
..but what updates might the iPad mini 2 receive? Retina Display? A6X? A7? 1GB RAM? 1.5GB RAM? :eek:

lol... so many similar threads and posts...

But despite what anyone says, I love my iPad mini, but I am really looking forward to a retina display on the mini! :apple:

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
If there was a keynote in April, invitations would have been sent out either by now or late February.

You won't see a retina mini til at least the fall, and the iPad 5 won't be out til at least summer.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

This "it" that is pointing to "one thing" needs to be taken out back and shot, because it's delusional and leading people to believe all sorts of insane things.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
This "it" that is pointing to "one thing" needs to be taken out back and shot, because it's delusional and leading people to believe all sorts of insane things.

When do you think well see a new ipad? It's actually starting to look like there won't be anything new from Apple until summer.

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
If there was a keynote in April, invitations would have been sent out either by now or late February.

You won't see a retina mini til at least the fall, and the iPad 5 won't be out til at least summer.

I thought invites are sent out a week before a keynote? We still have time.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Official invitations / announcements / confirmation of events are only sent to press like a week beforehand.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Sorry, OP, but how do you draw that conclusion based on recent rumors. I actually think the exact opposite. If they were to release next month, they would've started manufacturing in January or February and we would've seen tons of leaked parts. But so far there haven't been many. Actually, I don't think there's been anything except for the back shell. But that could just be KIRF.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
When do you think well see a new ipad? It's actually starting to look like there won't be anything new from Apple until summer.

At the end of, or after summer.

We're midway through the 3rd month of the year, we just got a new option for the full sized iPad (which logically they would not do if an upgrade were imminent, therefore we can conclude an upgrade is *not* imminent), iPad mini supplies have just caught up with demand (typically companies don't jump from achieving the meeting of demand to immediately upgrading said product - that's simply not done), they'll want to release a new iPhone first (as the order goes - the guys/gals who understand chips know this better than I why this is so, and there have been lots of threads about it) - at that point we can expect the iPad family to get upgraded.

This is all speculation, though not pure speculation - sort of like the different between a wild ass guess and a scientific wild ass guess.

What are your thoughts?

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I have both the retina iPad and also the Mini Ipad. I must say I like the quick charging and decent batter life of the Mini. I also like the fact that my cell phone hot spot uses a lot less data when watching netflix on the minim over the full sized iPad. That said, i am disappointed with the non retina display. I had thought it would be non issues. But my 2 day ownership feedback right now is I can't wait for a retina mini. If you can delay buying an iPad mini, do that.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S

Invitations are never sent out months in advance..

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
At the end of, or after summer.

We're midway through the 3rd month of the year, we just got a new option for the full sized iPad (which logically they would not do if an upgrade were imminent, therefore we can conclude an upgrade is *not* imminent), iPad mini supplies have just caught up with demand (typically companies don't jump from achieving the meeting of demand to immediately upgrading said product - that's simply not done), they'll want to release a new iPhone first (as the order goes - the guys/gals who understand chips know this better than I why this is so, and there have been lots of threads about it) - at that point we can expect the iPad family to get upgraded.

This is all speculation, though not pure speculation - sort of like the different between a wild ass guess and a scientific wild ass guess.

What are your thoughts?
I tend to agree. I think after summer as well. The ipad 4 seemed a bit rushed just so they could get it released with the mini before the holiday season.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town

You're incorrect, but thanks for playing anyway. As stated before invites are sent a week, maybe 2, in advance.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
You're incorrect, but thanks for playing anyway. As stated before invites are sent a week, maybe 2, in advance.

Yes I see that. I enjoyed playing. You were right and I was wrong.

But thank you for pointing something out a day after someone else beat you to it. That's always nice to see.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W

Invitations aside, I think you're right. The new 'big' iPad will release first, along with the new Iphone.

The mini will be later...most likely 6-8 weeks from the holiday season.

I tend to agree. I think after summer as well. The ipad 4 seemed a bit rushed just so they could get it released with the mini before the holiday season.

iPad 4 rushed? That's silly. The iPad 3 was rushed IMHO. The iPad 4 is, again, IMO what the 'new' iPad should've been last year at this time. The iPad 4 is a phenomenal tablet...easily trouncing my iPad 3 across the board.

I think we might have a mellow Apple release schedule this spring...possibly into summer. Maybe new chat about OSx 10.9, iOS 7, a Mac Pro....possibly a new line of MBAs with the Haswell chips, when ready from Intel. Even the rMBP will come later this fall. We'll see...but I completely agree with the others. If past is indicative of the future, we'd have seen some leaks by now.

J

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Invitations aside, I think you're right. The new 'big' iPad will release first, along with the new Iphone.

The mini will be later...most likely 6-8 weeks from the holiday season.

iPad 4 rushed? That's silly. The iPad 3 was rushed IMHO. The iPad 4 is, again, IMO what the 'new' iPad should've been last year at this time. The iPad 4 is a phenomenal tablet...easily trouncing my iPad 3 across the board.

I think we might have a mellow Apple release schedule this spring...possibly into summer. Maybe new chat about OSx 10.9, iOS 7, a Mac Pro....possibly a new line of MBAs with the Haswell chips, when ready from Intel. Even the rMBP will come later this fall. We'll see...but I completely agree with the others. If past is indicative of the future, we'd have seen some leaks by now.

J

I didn't mean rushed in terms of specs. I mean rushed in that it was released only 8 months after the ipad 3. I would imagine that the reason they released it in November was so that they could release an ipad with good specs along with the mini for the holiday season. I don't know if that means there will be no ipad in April/may but my guess is that there'll be one summer or later. This is all just me speculating though. I have no idea what will actually happen.

Last edited:

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Wait a minute... The iPad 4 was released on November 2, 2012 (according to Wikipedia) and people are expecting the 5 six months later?

Why?

The way I see it, the 3 was the ugly stepchild that Apple disowned. They had the retina screen ready but not the internal specs, and went for the money grab knowing they were going to piss off a lot of 3 buyers. But now you can't even buy a 3 in the store, even though they are still selling the 2.

So obviously, the 3 was an anomaly that Apple is pretending never existed.

Any expectations that they are releasing the iPad 5 or mini 2 so soon are misguided.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Wait a minute... The iPad 4 was released on November 2, 2012 (according to Wikipedia) and people are expecting the 5 six months later?

Why?

The way I see it, the 3 was the ugly stepchild that Apple disowned. They had the retina screen ready but not the internal specs, and went for the money grab knowing they were going to piss off a lot of 3 buyers. But now you can't even buy a 3 in the store, even though they are still selling the 2.

So obviously, the 3 was an anomaly that Apple is pretending never existed.

Any expectations that they are releasing the iPad 5 or mini 2 so soon are misguided.

That's a good point as well.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Yea no way in hell will Apple release new iPads in spring which is disappointing.

Releasing everything in the last 3 months is probably a good reason why Apple getting crushed by their competitors, the market, the media, etc.

Apple needs to space out its products more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.