Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I had to sell all of my equipment last year (hard times). So I'm going to be rebuilding my studio over the summer. What is the best hardware to get with an iMac 2011? (i.e. Audio Interface, Midi-Board etc..)

I will be using Logic & Reason as my DAW.

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
I'm a fan of the motu stuff. The 8Pre is an interesting device, but I worry about the long-term viability of FireWire. It's still what I would get for myself is I was looking to buy. It has 8 good mic preamps with phantom power for $550 or so. The Audio Express may suit you better. It has fewer inputs, only two mic preamps, but it's hybrid FireWire & USB and its $400 or so.

I've been antiTascam for some time, but they have a couple of new USB devices that look interesting and relatively cheap. I love having 8 inputs, though, so I can leave a couple of synths plugged in in addition to a couple mics, my bass, and one cord for an electric guitar of my choosing. If you ever plan on recording live drums, you'll want to considerhowmany mics you prefer for that, too, and makesure you'll have enough mic preamps for that to happen.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
maybe around the $500-$600 range. I'm looking for something with at least 4 inputs. I'm not sure about preamps at all?

Any of the top names. I like Presonus and I'd go for the "audio box"
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBox1818/
But MOTU and others make competing products.

Buy at last 50% more inputs than you think you need. If you have then you will find a use for them.

----------

I don't think he wants a mixer. Do that with the DAW software (Logic, I assume?) But a control surface would be really nice to have. If money is an issue they make iPad/iPhone based control surfaces. These are really inexpensive if you happen to already have the iPad.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
If you don't fear buying used (craigslist etc) - i'd go for anything RME or current Motu - not because they sound any better than anything else in the price range (well, they do, but...) - it's because their drivers are ROCK solid.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I use an Edirol FA-66. It supports OS X's CoreAudio and CoreMIDI, so requires no drivers. It's FireWire, and can run self-powered from the FW cable.

It's got 6 inputs and 6 outputs, of various types: XLR/0.25" jack, line-in, digital, MIDI, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.