Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:23 AM   #1
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

Is a Broken iPhone Screen Unprofessional/Embarrassing? (Does it Depend on Factors?)

When someone busts out their iPhone and say the screen is cracked...do you think it looks bad, or does it depend on many factors such as how old the individual is, context such as profession i.e. student vs. lawyer, etc. What about the degree of the cracked screen? Say if it has a minor hairline on one of the bottom corners vs. a totally destroyed screen with the screen protector still somehow holding it all together..

Just wondering really. I have an iPhone 4 and my crack isn't too bad but seeing as i'm graduating from university and going into the work force I'm thinking i'd rather replace the iPhone 4 screen itself as opposed to getting the new 5S; my 4 still works pretty well. Just changed the battery too a few days ago. Easier than expected.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:48 AM   #2
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

It makes you look bad just get an iphone 5 it's not expensive
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3
scaredpoet
macrumors 601

If someone is pulling out a smartphone with a broken screen, I feel bad for them, both for having such bad luck and for not being able to get it fixed.

Other than that, it's not really a concern to me, though don't expect to use your busted phone and risk cutting my fingers on it.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:44 AM   #4
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

I'd personally find it unprofessional, but then again if you don't get it out, nobody will know!
cambookpro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

It is pretty unprofessional.

But if you can't afford a new phone, just buy an iPod touch. It looks very similar to the iPhone at a glance and maybe people won’t notice. You can use it to make calendar additions or whatnot, and if you have to make a call, you can just pretend.
Han Solo 1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:09 AM   #6
kilcher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
I'd personally find it unprofessional, but then again if you don't get it out, nobody will know!
Yeah, I agree with this. Just don't get it out. Especially during the interview. If you think you might have to get it out during the interview (not sure why you would) just have a witty story ready about how it recently broke. After you're hired, who cares.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

I pull out a battered nokia 6230i
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:22 AM   #8
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

I'd think, "Aww, they dropped their phone, that's unlucky"

And not much else.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

By that logic you should rent a Mercedes every time you go for an interview, and update your wardrobe too, and no watch with a plastic band.

A dent? furgitaboutit. Fully spiderweb-cracked? Change it, since u already opened it.

Spend your time searching for that job.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:53 PM   #10
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

oh i didnt mean for a job interview... just in different scenarios.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:55 PM   #11
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
oh i didnt mean for a job interview... just in different scenarios.
No one cares.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:00 PM   #12
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Smart well balanced individuals are not judgmental, especially over something like that. They have far more important and interesting things on their minds.
maxosx is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:05 PM   #13
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
By that logic you should rent a Mercedes every time you go for an interview, and update your wardrobe too, and no watch with a plastic band.

A dent? furgitaboutit. Fully spiderweb-cracked? Change it, since u already opened it.

Spend your time searching for that job.
Actually, no.

But would you turn up to a job interview in a crashed-up car? Probably not.
Brian Y is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:13 PM   #14
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68020

Quote:
When someone busts out their iPhone and say the screen is cracked...do you think it looks bad, or does it depend on many factors such as how old the individual is, context such as profession i.e. student vs. lawyer, etc. What about the degree of the cracked screen? Say if it has a minor hairline on one of the bottom corners vs. a totally destroyed screen with the screen protector still somehow holding it all together..

Just wondering really. I have an iPhone 4 and my crack isn't too bad but seeing as i'm graduating from university and going into the work force I'm thinking i'd rather replace the iPhone 4 screen itself as opposed to getting the new 5S; my 4 still works pretty well. Just changed the battery too a few days ago. Easier than expected.
Seriously...WTF?!
itsmemuffins is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:52 PM   #15
typeadam
macrumors Demi-God

Many moons ago when I got my first "professional" job, the hiring manager asked me what time it was. I was wearing a watch which he pointed to as he asked. He was not wearing one.
I reached in my pocket and pulled out my cell and told him the time.
He says, "why didn't you just look at your watch?"
I answered, "the battery is dead, it's just an accessory for this suit I'm wearing."
In that split second I realized the same exact thing you're thinking - about how unprofessional I just sounded and how embarrassing it was and how I'll be viewed by the manager and I felt the biggest knot in my stomach and the biggest lump in my throat...
But the hiring manager just laughed and said, "You're going to make a fine addition here..." (perhaps he thought I was joking?)
Point of my story? Don't concern yourself with what others will think, it will just detract from what you need to focus on.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
Actually, no.

But would you turn up to a job interview in a crashed-up car? Probably not.
If it's the only car I have and I need to be at this interview, yes.
Don't know about you but I haven't been to many interview where car inspection is part of the process. Park in the corner of the lot if you must.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:17 PM   #16
Dizzler
macrumors member

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about the phone. Your grammar and demeanor will say much more about you.
Dizzler is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:19 PM   #17
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Do I think it looks bad, yes. Do I think it looks unprofessional, no. The only thing that can make your phone look unprofessional is modding it with glitter and stickers.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:49 PM   #18
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeadam View Post
If it's the only car I have and I need to be at this interview, yes.
Don't know about you but I haven't been to many interview where car inspection is part of the process. Park in the corner of the lot if you must.
Well, you yourself admit you'd hide the car. Likewise I wouldn't bring out a spider-webbed phone in front of a client. Why is one ok but the other one has to be put "around the corner?" They're the same.

It's not wrong to own a broken phone, it's just, like the busted-up car, not a good idea to show it off to a client.

Mostly because it makes them wonder about your business. I mean, geez...if the guy can't even get his broken stuff fixed, how close to going bankrupt is his company? Should I hire someone like that?

I'm not saying that's right...I'm just saying you're inviting those thoughts.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:52 PM   #19
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmemuffins View Post
Seriously...WTF?!
"DITTO" Some of the questions that are asked on this forum are just plain silly
SR45 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:04 PM   #20
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502

It's sloppy. Makes the owner look sloppy. Probably doesn't brush or floss his teeth also.
Jalopybox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:13 PM   #21
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Well...

Would I make any personal judgement about you? No. It's a phone, not a moral issue.

But in a professional sense, yes, but only if the crack prevents normal use of the phone.

To me, it means you're either too poor or too cheap to fix it, which would make me think about how you'd act in a business situation when faced with a decision of form versus functionality.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:36 AM   #22
typeadam
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Well, you yourself admit you'd hide the car. Likewise I wouldn't bring out a spider-webbed phone in front of a client. Why is one ok but the other one has to be put "around the corner?" They're the same.

It's not wrong to own a broken phone, it's just, like the busted-up car, not a good idea to show it off to a client.

Mostly because it makes them wonder about your business. I mean, geez...if the guy can't even get his broken stuff fixed, how close to going bankrupt is his company? Should I hire someone like that?

I'm not saying that's right...I'm just saying you're inviting those thoughts.
I never said I'd hide the car. I said hide it if you must. Difference.
I don't judge people based on what they have.
I prefer to give a person the benefit of the doubt as I expect the same from them.
Has always worked for me when assessing others and has never failed me when being assessed myself by someone.
Many times it's perception and I'm well aware of people that can't see beyond what's right in front of them.
An open mind is a smart mind.
I do, however, respect your POV.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:49 AM   #23
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Using any broken tool/gear is unprofessional.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeadam View Post
I don't judge people based on what they have.
I prefer to give a person the benefit of the doubt as I expect the same from them.
Nice in theory but the reality is, we base our initial opinion of anyone or anything on what we see initially.

You may give that dirty disheveled man the 'benefit of the doubt'.....

But you assume that the well dressed, cleanly groomed man doesn't need it.

It's human nature to make initial opinions/impressions on what one sees initially.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopybox View Post
It's sloppy. Makes the owner look sloppy. Probably doesn't brush or floss his teeth also.
It's all about character.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:59 AM   #24
typeadam
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
Using any broken tool/gear is unprofessional.

----------

Nice in theory but the reality is, we base our initial opinion of anyone or anything on what we see initially.

You may give that dirty disheveled man the 'benefit of the doubt'.....

But you assume that the well dressed, cleanly groomed man doesn't need it.

It's human nature to make initial opinions/impressions on what one sees initially.

----------

It's all about character.
I don't disagree with you. But you cut my quote short of the important part when I said "it has never failed me."
So yes, nice in theory and so far for around the last 20 years that theory worked for me. Perhaps it's luck? I don't know. I'm just telling you my side.
When I go into a situation I always present myself in the most professional manner I can. But there have been times in my life when that just wasn't possible due to circumstances. Yet it still worked in my favor. Just the same, I've had people present themselves to me professionally and not-so-professionally. Same result: success.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:02 AM   #25
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
ROFLMAO -

What kind of job are you going for when they interview you in your car? ???

As far as the wardrobe -- well if you do not think being well groomed and well dressed for an interview is important good luck in your future.

Not saying you need to wear a Tuxedo or a Three Piece Suit to every interview.

Just because you are interviewing for a job at McDonalds doesn't mean you show up for the interview wearing dirty food grease soaked clothing.

As far as jewelry/watch choices ... minimal is best.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone