Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roow110

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
I have been following the iWatch rumors with intense interest and it occurred to me that the iWatch could actually be the iPhone Mini. While I am sure Apple has explored designs for cheaper, plastic iPhones and iPhones with a smaller screen, I believe Apple will release the iWatch as their cheaper iPhone.

Apple needs to release a cheaper iPhone if it wants to be able to compete in the third world, however, I don't think that Apple would ever compromise the quality of their devices just to make a cheaper one. Thus, I am not very inclined to believe that Apple would release a $200 iPhone. It couldn't have very high profit margins and for Apple to release a device that affordable, they would have to make some very large sacrifices. A $200 iPhone would be a full $100 cheaper than an iPod touch and would need much more technology. I also don't see them fragmenting the iPhone interface by releasing a phone with a smaller screen.

So how could they make a cheaper iPhone? Looking back, when people demanded a $500 laptop, Apple didn't make a crap laptop, instead, they created a new device, the iPad, optimized for a smaller screen and it offered a better experience for many low-power needs. Now they are in a similar situation with the iPhone. People are demanding a cheaper phone, and Apple must release a cheaper device to compete in other markets, so rather than make a cheap inferior phone, I think they are going to create a new device all-together. An iWatch.

I see a number of signs pointing towards the iWatch being the iPhone Mini. Rumors have been suggesting they are releasing an iWatch for a long time. They have a team of 100 working on it in secret. (remind you of the iPhone and iPad) They clearly have had a lasting interest in watches going back to Johnny Ive getting boxes of watches from Nike. They have released patents for iWatch designs. And importantly, the iWatch market is ripe. People have been warmed up to the idea of an iWatch due to devices like the Up, the Pebble and the Fuelband.

All of these signs point to Apple making an iWatch, but what really convinced me that this was the iPhone Mini was when rumors popped up that it would support a full version of iOS. Therefor, it would not just be an assistant device paired to your iPhone, but a fully capable device on your wrist, capable of internet connectivity and access to an iWatch app store. The iWatch probably wouldn't be priced anywhere over $299 making it the perfect price-tag for the low-end device market and would offer many advantages over the iPhone.

In addition, Apple has been working in the background to produce a smaller and smaller A5 chip for the Apple TV, a device that is plugged in and clearly does not need such a low power chip. They are using it to perfect production of a low-energy chip so that they can implement it in an iWatch which needs less power than an iPhone and can hold a much smaller battery.

There seems to be a lot of evidence and motive for the iPhone being the next iWatch, and I haven't even gotten into the endless possible applications and advantages of it, but let me know what you think.

roow110

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
While I believe it will have some functionalities of the iPhone I don't think it will be enough to be a standalone phone replacement.

I'm not saying it will serve the same functions as an iPhone, I'm saying I think they might release this instead of releasing a low-quality iPhone (iPhone Mini)

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I'm not saying it will serve the same functions as an iPhone, I'm saying I think they might release this instead of releasing a low-quality iPhone (iPhone Mini)

In that regard I have to agree with you. I don't think they will release a low-quality phone either or a low-quality anything for that matter.

edgareliud10

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
While I believe it will have some functionalities of the iPhone I don't think it will be enough to be a standalone phone replacement.

In my opinion, there won't be a need for an iPhone "Nano" or "Mini". Apple could simply keep selling the iPhone 5 for a lower price range just how they've been doing it with the iPhone 4 & 4s. Introducing a "nano" would only bring another screen size, and I don't think developers will be happy to hear that.

As for the iWatch, I agree it won't have all of the functionalities of an iPhone. (First, because there's not enough room to pack all of the components. And second, it would be pretty ridiculous to make a phone call from a phone.)
What I believe Apple will introduce is something similar to the iPod Nano. It will include the Clock-faces (of course), calendar, photos, nike+(maybe a more advanced health app). However, It won't include a music player directly from the watch since it's a iWatch not an iPod. What I believe the "innovation" of this product will be is the ability to somehow (maybe bluetooth) synchronize the iWatch from your iPhone, giving it the ability to receive texts, phone calls, twitter notifications etc... This would also give the iWatch the ability to control your phone's music from your hand as well as send information for web-based apps such as Weather, stocks, etc...

For the price range, I'm aiming between an iPod nano and iPod touch so around $200-$250. Then maybe some $30 dollar wrist-straps made out from similar material of the SmartCovers with similar colors as well.

To get more of an idea, I made this iWatch software concept that's been going around websites. I'm not saying this is how it will look, but I'm hoping they release something similar. Tell me what you think!

8557002879_470e4680a6_b.jpg

8558111462_1948fe7a39_b.jpg

8558111634_ab38c63e21_b.jpg

8558111432_48d1f32871_b.jpg

roow110

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
In my opinion, there won't be a need for an iPhone "Nano" or "Mini". Apple could simply keep selling the iPhone 5 for a lower price range just how they've been doing it with the iPhone 4 & 4s.

Right now even Apple's "free" iPhone costs as much as a mid-tier phone does, at about $500. If Apple is going to compete in the low-end market, they need a phone that sells for $200-300.

13.02.20-Low_Cost.jpg

While I agree that Apple won't make an iPhone Mini, I think they will fill the low-end market with a device intended for that price-point. An iWatch is perfect for that, and while it won't be suited for texting or phone calls, it will be better at other things. That concept is spot-on btw, great job!

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
In my opinion, there won't be a need for an iPhone "Nano" or "Mini". Apple could simply keep selling the iPhone 5 for a lower price range just how they've been doing it with the iPhone 4 & 4s. Introducing a "nano" would only bring another screen size, and I don't think developers will be happy to hear that.

As for the iWatch, I agree it won't have all of the functionalities of an iPhone. (First, because there's not enough room to pack all of the components. And second, it would be pretty ridiculous to make a phone call from a phone.)
What I believe Apple will introduce is something similar to the iPod Nano. It will include the Clock-faces (of course), calendar, photos, nike+(maybe a more advanced health app). However, It won't include a music player directly from the watch since it's a iWatch not an iPod. What I believe the "innovation" of this product will be is the ability to somehow (maybe bluetooth) synchronize the iWatch from your iPhone, giving it the ability to receive texts, phone calls, twitter notifications etc... This would also give the iWatch the ability to control your phone's music from your hand as well as send information for web-based apps such as Weather, stocks, etc...

For the price range, I'm aiming between an iPod nano and iPod touch so around $200-$250. Then maybe some $30 dollar wrist-straps made out from similar material of the SmartCovers with similar colors as well.

To get more of an idea, I made this iWatch software concept that's been going around websites. I'm not saying this is how it will look, but I'm hoping they release something similar. Tell me what you think!

They are awsum--great job !!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I stop wearing watch altogether when I got my pocket cellphone. Where do you get a timepiece that self adjusts itself no matter where you are in the world?

The other thing is, having to "charge" a watch at the end of the day? or maybe having it die in the middle of the day? ...mhhhh.

But u never know, those kids at Apple always find new uses for old things.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Let's hope not....for the sake of Apple Shareholders. Apple's cell phones are already too small....

kenetic

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
Is there a market for iWatch? How often do we have to change or charge the battery? Is it going to have Retina Display screen? How am I going to type on this thing? Just wondering...

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Is there a market for iWatch? How often do we have to change or charge the battery? Is it going to have Retina Display screen? How am I going to type on this thing? Just wondering...

Will most likely not make the battery removable, that is if they follow the trend with their phones which I don't doubt. idk what kind of screen something like this could have. I doubt there will be any typing done, I see it being more of a companion to the iPhone by only showing info like how many messages you have and other simple things.

----------

On a side note, those renders are amazing. I would probably consider buying an iWatch if it looked like that.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Is there a market? I'm not sure anyone on this board could really answer that.

How often on charge? I would assume daily, but it's ultimately going to depend on your use, much like any other device. I highly doubt it would have an always on screen, as that would just eat the battery up.

How will you type? I would expect Siri to be the only typing option. You don't type on the iPod shuffle, and rightfully so. Now that I've said that, maybe there will be no real text entry at all.

Do I think the I watch is coming? No, not really. But all you really need to do is look at something like google glass to realize it is feasible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.