Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:28 PM   #1
2IS
macrumors 68000

Will I benefit from a "clean install?"

I have a 2010 13" MBA with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD and feel that the machine is more sluggish than it should be. This came preinstalled with SL and I did an upgrade install to Lion then again to ML. I also have a bootcamp partition with Windows 7 that I primarily use via parallels.

My Issues:
1) Sluggish performance, particularly "instant on" which is anything but instant at the moment

2) Not a lot of free space left even though I don't have all that much on here, I'm thinking with windows and two OSX upgrades on top of each other, there's a whole lot of bloat

What I'm considering:
Clean install of ML (already created the flash drive) and using strictly parallels instead of bootcamp for windows. I never boot into windows natively and I figure this way I'd save on some of the wasted space that comes through the partitioning processes.

Suggestions are welcomed.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Approved.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:12 PM   #3
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
I have a 2010 13" MBA with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD and feel that the machine is more sluggish than it should be. This came preinstalled with SL and I did an upgrade install to Lion then again to ML. I also have a bootcamp partition with Windows 7 that I primarily use via parallels.

My Issues:
1) Sluggish performance, particularly "instant on" which is anything but instant at the moment

2) Not a lot of free space left even though I don't have all that much on here, I'm thinking with windows and two OSX upgrades on top of each other, there's a whole lot of bloat

What I'm considering:
Clean install of ML (already created the flash drive) and using strictly parallels instead of bootcamp for windows. I never boot into windows natively and I figure this way I'd save on some of the wasted space that comes through the partitioning processes.

Suggestions are welcomed.
I would say also do a clean install. IMO 4GB of RAM is like bare minimum. I ended up getting 8GB on my MBA.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:24 PM   #4
2IS
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman View Post
I would say also do a clean install. IMO 4GB of RAM is like bare minimum. I ended up getting 8GB on my MBA.
Yeah, I know. Unfortunately 4 was the maximum for 2010. 8GB/512GB is going in my Haswell equipped MBA whenever they become available.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:20 AM   #5
Yoda3984
macrumors member

I'd been considering doing this to my 2010 11" MacBook Air for some time, and reading this thread made me go ahead and do it. Ha ha.

Once I get everything loaded back on, I'll report any increases in performance, real or perceived. I definitely had some issues when coming back from sleep, as well as some wifi issues. Here's hoping.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:30 AM   #6
2IS
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda3984 View Post
I'd been considering doing this to my 2010 11" MacBook Air for some time, and reading this thread made me go ahead and do it. Ha ha.

Once I get everything loaded back on, I'll report any increases in performance, real or perceived. I definitely had some issues when coming back from sleep, as well as some wifi issues. Here's hoping.
Yeah I'm in the process of rebuilding everything now. I decided to go with Windows 8 via parallels because its a bit leaner than win7. I'm not quite done putting everything back on but one of my problems of low drive space is certainly resolved.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:20 AM   #7
JonLa
macrumors 6502

I did this with Lion on my 4gb 2010 Air but I'm not sure it produced a radical difference. I haven't done it yet for Mountain Lion as it all seems to be running quite well.

You should find one of those apps that maps your hard drive to find out what is using the space, then delete stuff. I've noticed in the console that Mac's like to have about 20% free space on the hard drive for temporary files and such, so that might make it run faster. also use something like ccleaner or Onyx to establish what is running in the background that might affect Instant On.

But yes - do a Time Machine backup AND a file backup on a different hard disc, and then go go go. When i did it for Lion I restored my itunes library settings using Time Machine but then added all of the software and files manually to avoid reproducing any settings that might have produced a slow down.

I actually moved most of my Itunes library off the Air using a little app called Tunespan - the video and rarely played music files are on an external hard drive I can plug in, while my main music library sits on a 64GB mini SD card sitting in a Nifty Minidrive in the SD card slot. Freed up a lot of space.
JonLa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air