Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1
marcusg
macrumors newbie

Preview: hyperlink to file in PDF denied by Sandbox?

I've been struggling to get hyperlinks in a PDF-file pointing to other PDF-files to work in Apple Preview. The original document is written in Word 2010 (pc) and exported with Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.

First, the links didn't work at all. I finally managed to get them to work by manually editing adresses in Word with the syntax "./filename.pdf". But now, only files previously opened by Apple Preview are opened when clicking links. Other files fail to open with Preview saying "you don't have permission to open file...".

As far as I've understood, this is because Apple Preview (as of Lion?) is sandboxed. I suppose there's no way to make these hyperlinks work in Apple Preview? They do work in Acrobat Reader on Mac.

If not, I suppose the use of links-to-files in PDF is (yet another) unusable function in the world of computers. Any suggestions for another document format, readable on multiple platforms and able to link to files? It's to be used for a manual, with the main document containing only short, essential information with links to other files (rules, laws, forms etc.)
marcusg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store