Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
I've been struggling to get hyperlinks in a PDF-file pointing to other PDF-files to work in Apple Preview. The original document is written in Word 2010 (pc) and exported with Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.

First, the links didn't work at all. I finally managed to get them to work by manually editing adresses in Word with the syntax "./filename.pdf". But now, only files previously opened by Apple Preview are opened when clicking links. Other files fail to open with Preview saying "you don't have permission to open file...".

As far as I've understood, this is because Apple Preview (as of Lion?) is sandboxed. I suppose there's no way to make these hyperlinks work in Apple Preview? They do work in Acrobat Reader on Mac.

If not, I suppose the use of links-to-files in PDF is (yet another) unusable function in the world of computers. Any suggestions for another document format, readable on multiple platforms and able to link to files? It's to be used for a manual, with the main document containing only short, essential information with links to other files (rules, laws, forms etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.