Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raw8725

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Hi all,

I'm about to make a purchase of a mac mini and I can't decide between the:

magic mouse or magic trackpad

I'm mainly going to surf the net with the odd (very rare) photo editing.

Help an ol' cock our here please? Thanks:)

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hi all,

I'm about to make a purchase of a mac mini and I can't decide between the:

magic mouse or magic trackpad

I'm mainly going to surf the net with the odd (very rare) photo editing.

Help an ol' cock our here please? Thanks:)

I would go with the trackpad. Mine has been awesome and I love it. The MM is great and I will be getting one soon since I am downgrading all of my computers to rely on my trusty iBook G4(which cannot recognize the MT).

The MT is great at multi-touch and gestures while the MM needs additional software to make it more powerful. Since they're the same price, I would go with the MT.

raw8725

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I would go with the trackpad. Mine has been awesome and I love it. The MM is great and I will be getting one soon since I am downgrading all of my computers to rely on my trusty iBook G4(which cannot recognize the MT).

The MT is great at multi-touch and gestures while the MM needs additional software to make it more powerful. Since they're the same price, I would go with the MT.

Thank you kind sir.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Magic Mouse works well. Free software Better Touch Tool gives it so much customization (tap the shell to click in Finder like on a trackpad, also tap, click swipe gestures up to 4 fingers) and they can be customized differently for each application including photos and Final Cut Pro.

raw8725

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Just gone ahead and bought a mac mini and the trackpad, I'll try it and simply buy the mouse at a later date after offloading my mighty mouse and other old bits and bobs on fleBay. win win! :D

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Just gone ahead and bought a mac mini and the trackpad, I'll try it and simply buy the mouse at a later date

Or buy a 3rd party wireless mouse - preferably from a bricks-and-mortar shop where you can pick one that feels comfortable. There's not a lot of choice for bluetooth - most use a tiny USB wireless dongle. Personally, I use a wired keyboard and plug the wireless mouse dongle into one of the keyboard's USBs.

The Magic Mouse is a love/hate thing.

The Trackpad is great for general use but you'll probably want a mouse for photo editing.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Just gone ahead and bought a mac mini and the trackpad, I'll try it and simply buy the mouse at a later date after offloading my mighty mouse and other old bits and bobs on fleBay. win win! :D

If you like trackpads, it's worth giving it a try. I much prefer the magic mouse but it's a Coke/Pepsi type of thing.

raw8725

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
If you like trackpads, it's worth giving it a try. I much prefer the magic mouse but it's a Coke/Pepsi type of thing.

Everything arrives Monday am hopefully. I've gone for the trackpad but I'm certain I shall buy a mouse too, just to keep on the side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.