Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
So, here I comes again.

A friend of mine is a truly computer geek. In her student time, she worked developing a sofware solution composed of two parts/process:

1-Takes an MP4 file and catalog it based in time lenght
2-Takes the same MP4 file and convert to AVI.

Second part never was completed/implemented. But my friend designed the whole solution in a way where the AVI conversion can be done with an external converter or a rutine made by her.

Old employer gives her in that time a beautiful iMac SE Graphite (I still envy her....:eek:). That machine stills is there, sitting around. So, to the point: The old employer needs to process some 1 TB of MP4 files in the way my friend designed. But the AVI conversion development can take some time. Hence, my friend needs a external MP4 to AVI converter to incorporate in her solution. Must be PowerPC software and capable of running in the machine I said, because the whole software solution was coded as PowerPC only. And the old employer dont have another hardware to run/try it.

So thanks in advance for any pointers/help. And for reading the convoluted post and bear me.

:):apple:

Last edited:

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Handbrake (ffmpeg frontend) will do this easily. There is a newer version here - if that doesn't work you will have to download 0.9.4 from SourceForge.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Stage: Passed the info.....

Handbrake (ffmpeg frontend) will do this easily. There is a newer version here - if that doesn't work you will have to download 0.9.4 from SourceForge.

So I passed the info to my friend. She and I thank you much Wildy. Will report back.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Worked out well....

No problem, hope it all works out.

My friend uses some version of ffmepg. Works like a charm and rigth now she are working in the project. In her name and mine, thank you very much, Wildy....

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
That 1TB using HB Batch would take an afternoon and over night to convert on your 12 core..How about you turn the MP loose on that and take your fiend out to dinner..

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
My friend uses some version of ffmepg. Works like a charm and rigth now she are working in the project. In her name and mine, thank you very much, Wildy....

VisualHub was a GUI wrapped around ffmpegx and worked very well for many processes. However it's developer retired and, other than one last update to allow it to work in Lion/Mt. Lion, has stopped updating it.

Copies can be found, if you search.

But the real question IS:

First of all AVI is a container usually containing video in XVID format.

MP4 is also a container usually containing video in MPEG-4 and/or H.264 format; both of which are more modern.

WHY GO BACKWARDS IN TECHNOLOGY... although there is a certain irony in doing it on an old iMac Sapphire!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.