Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlm86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
Looking for 5.5 classic, and getting amp setup,
So see a lot of refurbished 5.5 in new condition..

Are these going to have the good DAC and other components that the original had?
Or should keep looking for used?

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
This is a tricky one.
Refurbished is different from one user to another.
I bought a 80gb 5.5 in November in decent quality but it does have scratches and so far it has worked very well for a 6+ years old device with an ocasional freeze. But I paid only 70$ for it so it was a steal.

If it doesn't have a new motherboard/screen/battery/display I wouldn't consider it refurbished. These refurbished things run at around 200-250$.
Or you can get a used one and upgrade it yourself, you can find bigger batteries for less than 10$, covers and clickwheel/blackplate for less than 40$ and so on.

I want myself in your situation since I want to upgrade mine to 240GB and change its cosmetic look

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
refurbished items are questionable unless its coming from Apple directly, in which case its like having a new one.

Unfortunately you don't really know what components were replaced when the item got refurbished, what good is a new hard drive if the battery didn't get replaced too? I mean the battery would have to be at least 5 or 6 years old by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.