Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Dropbox Acquires Mailbox, Will Accelerate Rollout

Popular email management app Mailbox has been acquired by file-sharing and storage service Dropbox.

Terms weren't disclosed, but the company plans to keep Mailbox as a standalone app, though the companies plan to extend both their platforms going forward, reports The Wall Street Journal.
Quote:
"We felt we could help Mailbox reach a much different audience much faster," said Dropbox CEO Drew Houston, who said both companies shared the goal of making people's lives easier.

He said Dropbox will keep the Mailbox service running as a stand-alone app, and over time Dropbox will also use Mailbox's technology to enhance Dropbox features, like email attachments. The deal came together, he said, after the companies started talking about email attachments a few months ago.
The thirteen Mailbox employees will join Dropbox, but continue working on the Mailbox app. Mailbox is now delivering 60 million messages per day and has taken 1.3 million reservations for its free service.

Article Link: Dropbox Acquires Mailbox, Will Accelerate Rollout
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Wow. The Mailbox stunt paid off.

To elaborate on the "stunt" comment:

You signed up to a waiting list. Eventually this waiting list got you a code. You put the code in their app and it put in you a massive queue.

If you managed some how to actually get to use the app - you may have been disappointed.
In fact, the Mailbox app angered a lot of people because it requires full access to your Gmail account (which raises privacy concerns), and it requires you to mess with IMAP folder visibility (it needs "All Folder" access).
I've had access for quite a while - but I do not use it, as I refuse to change my IMAP settings to make it work. I already use Gmail (without issue) with other programs.

Apparently all the hype got the attention of the right people.

Last edited by Xenomorph; Mar 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Xenomorph is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:30 PM   #3
impulse462
macrumors 65816

That was fast...hopefully it doesn't end up like sparrow as I really enjoy using mailbox.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:30 PM   #4
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Interesting. With someone like Dropbox behind it I might actually give it a shot now.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:33 PM   #5
SteveLV702
macrumors regular

cool hopefully dropbox lifts the stupid 5 mailbox limitation
SteveLV702 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:37 PM   #6
dysamoria
macrumors 6502

"We felt we could help mailbox",

when using the decoder ring, translates to:

"We think owning Mailbox will help our bottom line, at the very least by acquiring their user database and marketing to them as potential new users of Dropbox, and probably by eliminating a potential future competitor and acquiring their patent holdings (because technology is cheap compared to litigation over technology)."

I'd rather they just said it as it really is, rather than making some kind of euphemistic statement that makes them sound like they're just lending a helping hand. What a load of insincere crap.
dysamoria is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:37 PM   #7
peteullo
macrumors regular

Dropbox will become what iCloud should have been.
peteullo is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:38 PM   #8
fatespawn
macrumors member

It needs to support exchange (maybe impossible with their delivery scheme), iPads and landscape.

If they don't quickly innovate, they'll be copied, improved on, and fade away.
fatespawn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:42 PM   #9
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

They need a desktop app and exchange support, I would use it a lot more then.
spazzcat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:46 PM   #10
whammink
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatespawn View Post
It needs to support exchange (maybe impossible with their delivery scheme), iPads and landscape.

If they don't quickly innovate, they'll be copied, improved on, and fade away.
I agree with you, but if you check out their Twitter account you can see they're working on all of those things. I only wish they'd have a bigger team so they could move faster. Regardless, Mailbox is great and I hope Dropbox doesn't mess with their success.
whammink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:50 PM   #11
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Looks like the Mailbox people got what they wanted. A buyout from a big company (although they probably wouldve preferred to be bought by Apple).

Anyway, I don't even use Mailbox anymore. Its just not very useful to me. Hopefully they add some decent features and I'll try it out again.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:55 PM   #12
Howard Ellacott
macrumors member

I expect dropbox will make this a really great app!
Howard Ellacott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:03 PM   #13
bushido
macrumors 603

never got mailbox to work. told be to change something in my gmail settings which icould not find and cbf either
bushido is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:07 PM   #14
shorn
macrumors regular

I'd sooner Dropbox was involved than Google.
shorn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
In fact, the Mailbox app angered a lot of people because it requires full access to your Gmail account (which raises privacy concerns), and it requires you to mess with IMAP folder visibility (it needs "All Folder" access).
Yup. That was enough to turn me off. Not that Gmail is secure or anything, but why would I want another pair of eyes sifting though it. It's bad enough Google does. Also it just seems a bit redundant.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:27 PM   #16
ELMI0001
macrumors 6502

Good for them.

I really like Mailbox on my iPhone. If you manage your Gmail filters through the web interface the concept of Mailbox works great.

Quote:
Dropbox will become what iCloud should have been.
Hopefully! Give Apple some motivation to focus on their software/iCloud. Enough with new iPads every 9 months!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:34 PM   #17
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

Maybe we will finally see an UPDATE to this app...........

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:34 PM   #18
domness
macrumors 6502a

Pretty happy with this actually, I was wondering if Mailbox was going to get any funding decent enough to keep their servers going with all these people waiting to get access to the app.

I've had Mailbox running for quite a while, and I seriously love using it, now I just wish there was a Mac and an iPad version available (of course, after they improve the featureset of the app).
domness is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:40 PM   #19
Trik
macrumors member

I think they did a great job of slowly ramping up their infrastructure as they scaled for users. All of the push notifications come from their servers, which amount to millions+ of requests. The story could have easily been, "Mailbox app launches, crashes due to demand" which if you look at Sim City, is easily believable. The problem is, nobody is happy. They do things slowly, making sure they can meet demand, and everyone bitches, they do it fast and the servers crash, and everyone bitches. It was a queue, you got in line and waited, it wasn't like you had to stare at your phone during the queue, it just moved you along while you lived your life.

Now as far as the software, I think it works great. It has completely changed how I work with my Gmail and the app itself is polished and responds instantly. I was actually hoping Apple would purchase this app and incorporate the technology into the default mail app. I guess they can still copy it.
Trik is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:48 PM   #20
RevTEG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZBUG View Post
Maybe we will finally see an UPDATE to this app...........
The app just came out a few short weeks ago. What update do you think they "finally" need to do? Finally makes it sound like the app has been around for years without any updates.
RevTEG is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:49 PM   #21
MWPULSE
macrumors 6502a

I hope this improves the experience of sharing and such like within the Dropbox app (web/desktop/phone) at the moment sharing in Dropbox isn't the easiest thing to manage particularly with lots of people sharing the same folder. Could really do with an address book of some description.

Excited to see what happens here
MWPULSE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:55 PM   #22
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

I find it extremely difficult to believe their sign up list is accurate. Within 20 seconds of launching the app, it says there is 109 people behind me. That's like 6 people per second for an app that doesn't seem to do much except check email from gmail.

Looks like at the rate the line is decreasing, I should be good to go in 3.0807 days.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:35 PM   #23
Silverstring
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Yup. That was enough to turn me off. Not that Gmail is secure or anything, but why would I want another pair of eyes sifting though it. It's bad enough Google does. Also it just seems a bit redundant.
This hits on a point I always thought was funny. As of now, Mailbox only works with Gmail.

People crowing about privacy (not you specifically, Chupa Chupa, you qualified your point about not wanting it to be worse), but using Gmail. I think that's hilarious.

I mean, I use gmail too. That said, if I was overly concerned about privacy, I wouldn't (and I may move away from them in the future for that reason).
Silverstring is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:35 PM   #24
Xano
macrumors member

Time to give a decent update to Mailbox ...
more email providers and the option to change colors and backgrounds is appreciate!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:41 PM   #25
baller1308
macrumors 6502a

I've been using it for quite some time. It's nice, but there are some issues. Sometimes the emails don't fully load so I have to go back to the inbox and then back to the email message again. Another issue I had was that if you delete a message it would go back to the inbox. I would much prefer it to go to the next unread email.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion