Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

White Bezel Distracting For Viewing Movies/TV Shows?

Just curious as I want this concern of mine covered before buying a 4th gen. Thanks in advance for your reply.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:43 PM   #2
AlabamaSlammer
macrumors 6502

For me yes. very distracting
AlabamaSlammer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:52 PM   #3
blasto2236
macrumors regular

Yep. I originally had a white iPad 3 to match my phone, but found that the white bezel was a lot harder to "disappear" in to when viewing video content or playing games. For this reason, I went with the black iPad mini and love it. I'll probably always have a white iPhone, though. Best of both worlds!
blasto2236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:37 PM   #4
youknome
macrumors regular

My iPhone is white but prefer the iPad in black for the same reasons as above. Ideally visit an Apple store or a retailer who has both colours on display, so you can judge for yourself, after all it is you who is going to be using it.
youknome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

If you mostly use the ipad for watching videos then yes it can be distracting, but I spend more time reading, emails, and surfing so the screen usually has a light colored or white background. So for me the white iPad is best.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:56 PM   #6
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Depends on the ambient lightning you're in. If its dark then u won't notice it.
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:30 PM   #7
RevTEG
macrumors regular

I've had the white ipad 3 since it was first released. My ipad 1 and 2 where both black. I would agree that the white does take some getting used to. It doesn't disappear while watching a movie. That's probably why you never see flat screen TV's in white.

I've gotten used to it. I like the white for looks sake. But will probably go back to black when the ipad 5 comes out. Unless of course the bezel is a lot smaller like the mini.
RevTEG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:34 PM   #8
Infinitewisdom
macrumors 6502

I guess it's different for everyone. I have all white iOS devices and find them fine for anything, including watching movies.
Infinitewisdom is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:26 PM   #9
pk7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitewisdom View Post
I guess it's different for everyone. I have all white iOS devices and find them fine for anything, including watching movies.
Agreed. I've never had a problem watching any sort of video in any lighting on my white devices.
pk7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:31 PM   #10
ScottC7
macrumors member

Having come from black iPads and being something of a home theater fanatic, I thought I might be bothered by the white bezel on my iPad. It took about a day to get used to it and now I don't even notice it.
ScottC7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:56 PM   #11
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

For movies, definitely black bezel.

There's a reason most televisions have a black bezel.

I tried a white iPad for a while, they look great when off and more distinct (though what is distinct these days? Everybody has an iSomething). And for web and email and stuff, the bezel size feels more justified and seamless.

I actually don't mind the big bezel though. I don't want my grip getting in the way of seeing things. For the mini form factor, it seems less an issue.
thadoggfather is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:20 AM   #12
Fattytail
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk7 View Post
Agreed. I've never had a problem watching any sort of video in any lighting on my white devices.
White here and no problems either.
Fattytail is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:49 AM   #13
imlovinit
macrumors regular

Same. White and not distracted at all.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Mactabulous
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevTEG View Post
That's probably why you never see flat screen TV's in white.
Samsung uses a white bezel on some of their mid-end models (at least in Europe).
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:44 PM   #15
RevTEG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactabulous View Post
Samsung uses a white bezel on some of their mid-end models (at least in Europe).
That's cool.. I've never seen any white Flat screens here in the States. That doesn't mean they don't sell them. I have a 47 and a 34 inch Samsung. Both in black.
RevTEG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:15 PM   #16
lilatheflirt
macrumors member

I used to have a black iPad. The mini I have now is white. The bezel doesn't bother me.
lilatheflirt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:24 AM   #17
bluespark
macrumors 6502

Switched from a black generation 1 to a white generation 2 and love it. As some others have said, I was aware of the white border when watching movies for about a day, then I became used to it and now it doesn't bother me at all. Overall, I've been very happy with the white iPad and may choose white again for my next one. YMMV.
bluespark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:45 AM   #18
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Just curious as I want this concern of mine covered before buying a 4th gen. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Its not distracting.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:00 PM   #19
Mactabulous
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevTEG View Post
That's cool.. I've never seen any white Flat screens here in the States. That doesn't mean they don't sell them. I have a 47 and a 34 inch Samsung. Both in black.
Actually, it looks quite cheap-ish, but whatever floats your boat. My Samsung TV has a wafer thin metal bezel (high-end 8 series).

/end hijack
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:45 PM   #20
Bokes
macrumors 6502

I went from black to white just for a change. I figured I would swap it out within a week and go back to black, but actually I got used to it.
In fact, I think the white makes the mini look a bit larger.
I now think black looks boring like every other tablet out there.
The white is a very clean look. No distracting here.
Bokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:42 AM   #21
RenoG
macrumors 65816

My wife has the white while I have the black. Black is so much more comfortable on the eyes (you don't have the presence of a white bezel glaring at you in dark scenes) to watch Videos on the black as it doesn't feel like you're watching a video in a white box. Yes you will get use to white like anything else but with black, well it just works.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:45 AM   #22
TG1
macrumors 6502

I went from a black iPad 1 to a white iPad 3. I don't really notice any change in how distracted my eyes are during anything (watching movies, photo viewing, web browsing, etc).
TG1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:46 AM   #23
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

Once you go black, you can never return to using a white-colored bezel.
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:23 PM   #24
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Another "yes" here. It's why I always go black bezel, always will if available. It's not a fashion item, it's a device. I'm going to look at it, not wear it. Who cares black is boring looking. Who stares at a device when its turned off?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:29 AM   #25
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

Thanks for your input.

I never owned anything but black electronics where applicable. The white would be a change of pace and I probably can get to use to it if it was distracting to begin with but why bother. If I ever bought an iPhone, it would be black also.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad