Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
While I was out with my iPad (Verizon 64GB 4th Generation), despite light usage it somehow soaked up 2GB in the space of an hour. When I got home and it switched to WIFI, it continued to use over 300MB of cellular data before I finally turned it off in a panic. I reset the network settings and closed all my apps, shut off my iPad and back on, and the madness finally stopped.

I think it was my Chipotle Mexican Grill app, which crashed after attempting to connect when placing an order and kept giving me weird SSL errors, but I'm not 100% sure. It was the only thing that crashed on my iPad though, the rest were apps I've been using for years without issue.

After this aggravation, I have two questions:

Has anyone been able to get their data usage reset or restored when the issue was due to a software glitch?

What data usage apps would you recommend to monitor how much data each app is using? I didn't have something like that installed so I couldn't investigate to see what app was the culprit.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I remember sopme of this happened when the iPhone 5 came out; it was reporting data consumption even though it didn't use any. Have you check your Vzw account online to see it it really used the data.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I remember sopme of this happened when the iPhone 5 came out; it was reporting data consumption even though it didn't use any. Have you check your Vzw account online to see it it really used the data.

Yeah, it's definitely on my VZV account too. The funny thing was I was refreshing the cellular usage page on my iPad while it was connected to my wifi, and it was still receiving massive amounts of data. Yet I couldn't figure out why.

I've been checking the app store for data monitoring and Dataman Pro seems to be one of the popular ones that checks individual app usage, but it's $10. -_-

Last edited:

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Have you tried calling Verizon customer service? They've been quite helpful when I had similar problems.

Sent them an email. If I don't get a decent response I'll give them a call next week.

In your case did they reset the data usage, or provide some insight on what was causing it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.